Home General Discussion

Does it annoy anyone else

ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
Now don't get me wrong, i love their cigars, but does it annoy anyone else that Fuente have the same band for almost all of their varieties? I can't tell the difference between them! Why do they do that? I don't need some big huge difference, but even just the model written small on the band somewhere!

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    annoys me as well, and say you have a hemmingway, it doesn't say it so you are forced to remember what is in the humidor. if you get an Anejo, it just has "Anejo" written in teeny tiny letters on the regular label.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Gurkha is similar.
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Yea it annoys me as well. One of my favorite cigars is the Hemingway and the band looks just like the Don Carlos. At the B&M I have to look at the boxes to see which one is what.
    Gurkha might even be worse. Keep a few of those in your humi and in a few months you will have a few you won't be able to identify.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Great minds think alike. I have been silently complaining about that to myself ever since I smoked my first Fuente. It's confusing and I don't see a reason for it, labels are cheap!
  • TGOTGO Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 333
    Very annoying... I often notice I am not sure what I just pulled out of the humi, or I need to research LOL... sometimes the band differences are subtle... same design, different color(s).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    At least on the point of the Hemingway Vs. Don Carlos....well, it's always pretty apparent to me because the Hemingway line is all figurados. On the other lines though, I agree.
  • nickgonzonickgonzo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    I just grab the fuentes with the black ribbon on the foot, I'll leave the rest to you guys :)
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Don't smoke a lot of Fuentes, but it definitely does irk me on the Gurkhas. I'd rather they all have exactly the same band and a secondary with the name of the particular model rather than a hundred different colored bands (some damn near the same). It is a small gripe, but IMO, it can, on occasion, take away from the enjoyment of the cigar when you may not be 100% about what you have in your hand.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    My Philosophy is that I'm happy as a pig in chit to have any ghurkha's or fuente's in my humi at ANY moment!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I agree with the Gurkha part because they have some very similar cigars with the same exact wrapper. Take the legend for example. The Titan, beast, Beaty, etc... all use the same label that says Legend. Plus, the Centurion and the Master Select both come in a perfecto and have the same label. THose two are hard to figure out.

However, with Fuente you can tell the difference between a Don Carlos and a Hemingway by the shape. All the Hemingways have the little nipple (yes, I said nipple) where the Don Carlos does not. Plus, the Anejo label is different. It has white instead of black at the bottom plus it does say Anejo. What I do not like is that the Sun Grown has the same label as the Hemingway and Don Carlos. Obviously, the wrapper looks different but I still get thrown by them if I can't get a good look.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Lasabar:
    My Philosophy is that I'm happy as a pig in chit to have any ghurkha's or fuente's in my humi at ANY moment!
    I'll trade ya my Gurks, I haven't liked a single one of them.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I agree. I have several Gurkha's resting, and can't tell what I have. I used to smoke Fuente's a decade ago, but havn't had one in a while.
  • zadelapzadelap Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    I have to agree with the Gurkha's. I bought a sampler a little bit ago and before i picked the Regent to smoke i noticed a couple that i have no clue which ones they are. One jut has a G all along the bottom and the other has nothin to distinguish from the others.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    LIES!!!! Fuente has different band/ribbon combos for almost all of their cigars. they are subtle, but you can figure them out just by looking in the listings here at cigar.com.

but to make it easy...
    just look for the red ribbon with the Opus label.

but seriously....
    Reserva has green on the bottom of the band
    Sungrown is black on the botom of the band with a black ribbon
    Shade grown is green on the botom of the band with a green ribbon
    Anejo has a cream bottom and a red band and also says anejo
    Don Carlos has black on the botom of the band and no ribbon
    the hemmingway is the only one that is confusing. it has the same set up as the Don Carlos, but they are all a perfecto vitola of various sizes.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Gurkha has a lot of different bands. Most of them are really easy to distinguish. Some though like the factum don't have any name bands but if you order them You'll know as they are BMF's! The shaggy's don't have a name band but they have a shaggy foot. The holly grail doesn't have a name band on it, so I can see that being tough to tell what it is, though that's an exclusive and from my knowledge it's only in boxes so unless you get it from someone you'll know. I really don't know of any that are sporting the same bands and make it hard to tell what they are....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    zadelap:
    I have to agree with the Gurkha's. I bought a sampler a little bit ago and before i picked the Regent to smoke i noticed a couple that i have no clue which ones they are. One jut has a G all along the bottom and the other has nothin to distinguish from the others.
    That would be the G3, sort of replaced or along the lines of the triple ligero. The G5 had the same thing though it has a g5 on it.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I was confused with Gurkha at first but once you start smoking them and getting to know their cigars you start to figure them out. I can name them because I know the different sizes and wrappers that distinguish which is which. Many of them have bands or something that distinguishes them. Like Squirrel said the shaggy has a shaggy foot so you know it is a shaggy and not a Warrior which has the same colored band.
  • nickgonzonickgonzo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    There are too man Gurkhas to keep up with. I usually will not go out of my way to buy them, if I did I would buy the Nepalese Warrior (I hope I spelled that right)

kuzi's fuente guide is really helpful in identifying them, Black ribbon on the foot means sungrown, all I need to know. I havent had a Hemingway in a long time, maybe too long. I'm going to pick one up for old times sake. Peace, Nick
  • zadelapzadelap Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thanks, I've been trying to figure that out!
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    j0z3r:
    At least on the point of the Hemingway Vs. Don Carlos....well, it's always pretty apparent to me because the Hemingway line is all figurados. On the other lines though, I agree.

Jeez I never even thought about the shape! Duh now it seems so obvious.