Home General Discussion

AF Anejo sharks

variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
So, what's the deal with the pricing lately? I just started researching these cigars and it seems like the previous prices were $10 - $15 per stick (sold out now) but the newer stock seems to be $20 - $30 per stick.

Did something happen to double the prices, is this a normal price fluctuation, or is it just a marketing scheme for the holidays?

Comments

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    I know what you mean. Was hoping to pick some up this year but all the places with good prices on them are completely out and just the places charging $20 and up have them. Pretty disappointing too that CCom has some of the highest prices around on them.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    They have the 60's by me for $11
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Sharks should be $11.75 this year
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Anejo Sharks for $10-$11?!?! ..... Whatever, I get oranges and avocados for free. What son!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    I was in NC over the holiday and bought one for 12.99. Should have grabbed more but didn't have anyplace to put them at the time.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Places online that sell certain brands, like Fuente, and reach huge volumes of buyers raise their prices because otherwise they would sell out within minutes (constantly) and never have any for sale. Specialty sticks like the Anejo Shark are best purchased at a B&M or worked out in trade for someone who has access to a B&M that carries them.
    There's a huge difference though between slightly raising prices and price gouging. For a place to charge $35 for a stick that has a retail of around $10 or so is ridiculous.
    jimmyv723:
    There's a huge difference though between slightly raising prices and price gouging. For a place to charge $35 for a stick that has a retail of around $10 or so is ridiculous.
    we'll if they landed in New York you would probably pay $35 anyways
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Is there an actual MSRP for the Anejo Sharks or are various retailers making them up? I've seen some online retailers with "original prices" or MSRPs above $600 for box of Sharks.

variant2:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Is there an actual MSRP for the Anejo Sharks or are various retailers making them up? I've seen some online retailers with "original prices" or MSRPs above $600 for box of Sharks.

pricing varies from state to state because of the taxes but for me yeah it was msrp plus the state tax
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Just a heads up here on the comment about price. We only get a few boxes a year and usually around the holidays. because we try to stock everything for our customers and meet their requests we are forced to buy product from third party suppliers. It is literally the only way to get what we need to service our customers. Id estimate less than 5% of what we sell is actually provided to us by Fuente and during the anejo dry times pay sometimes double or even triple MSRP in some cases to obtain full boxes and have them. I assure you, Cigar.com is not price gouging and at times we even take a loss... even at our advertised pricing. Finding full boxes in off times of the year is not as easy as some folks believe. Also, like this year, when we do get a better allotment directly from Fuente or can more easily obtain more product third party, we will reach out to our customers offering better pricing whenever we have an opportunity to do so (HINT HINT make sure you get tim and andrews email next week). Hope this helps explain the situation on these. You will find most folks who charge over MSRP, it is because they have to.
    Thanks for the breakdown on that. I was mainly just frustrated because the only places who do have them in stock, the Sharks specifically, are way over MSRP. Would rather give you guys the business when I do get stuff but with something like that I just can't. Between being only Part Time at work and other stuff going on it makes it tough to fork over that much for a single stick. Will definitely keep an eye out for the emails though and thanks again for the info.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Man, am I really the only person that couldn't care less about the Añejos? I´ve tried some from a couple different years, including the Sharks, and was altogether unimpressed. This is not to say that I felt they were poor cigars, but that they were a decent smoke that just wasn´t up my alley, and I certainly couldn´t (and still can´t) understand the mad hype. Is it really just because of the scarcity, or do y´all really just love them that much?
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    I like anejo's but don't chase them. Everyone I've turned onto Anejo's loves them. I don't care about which vitola is available because it's a great quality smoke.
    james40:
    I like anejo's but don't chase them. Everyone I've turned onto Anejo's loves them. I don't care about which vitola is available because it's a great quality smoke.
    yup agreed I feel the same way about opus...I won't go out of my way for them but I do buy a few every time they come out and stash them away for a nap.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Lee.mcglynn:
    james40:
    yup agreed I feel the same way about opus...I won't go out of my way for them but I do buy a few every time they come out and stash them away for a nap.
    I think the nap is key. I always smoke last year's purchase around Xmas and love them. I do care about the vitola though, this is one cigar I don't like as much in a small RG. Not sure why.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Everyone loves the shark. I don't. My favorite size is the #55. I have some sharks lying around from '09 and maybe '10. Not a lot but oneseys and twoseys. 55s I buy by the box. The other sizes don't do much for me either however the one 8-8-8 I had was pretty good right off the truck.
    I really have only had the 60 and those are a 2 hour thrill ride. I can't imagine a bigger rg being worse on the 55, but to me the 60 just feels so right in the hand. My B&M has the 50 and the 55 too, so I'll have to give it a shot. No sharks though :/
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I see a box of the 48's go for $240....25 cigars and that's under $10 a stick.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I'm sure by now many of you are aware of a certain deal for Anejos that shall remain anonymous.

I've never had one, but if they're anywhere near as good as Hemingways I'd like to jump in.

Thing is, even at these prices it's still too expensive for me to get a whole box.

That said, would anyone want to four or five way a box? I'd settle for keeping 5. Doesn't have to be the Sharks, but I'd prefer a smaller gauge/size, such as either the #46 (5.6"x46), #50 (5.1"x50), or #60 (6.25"x48).

If interested, PM.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Read that email too, not a good deal...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    danielzreyes:
    email?
    Beardy
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    The Beards deal.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Jetmech_63: