Home General Discussion

new to the lifestyle

ryanjo1111ryanjo1111 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey, I'm wanting to starts smoking and have bought a humidor. What is a good quality mild cigar that would go good with a glass of good bourbon? I really hate to spend a lot of money on a smoke that I wouldn't like. Any advise would help, thanks.

Comments

• Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Hello and welcome. Avo domaine and a bottle of pappy van winkel 12 yr to cap it off. Bliss
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Hey-o Ryan,
    Welcome to the hobby and to the forums. Most bourbons are going to be a bit heavy on the palate, so a real "mild" cigar isn't going to be the best pairing. That doesn't mean you have to hit the other end of the spectrum, though. For easy accessibility, perhaps try a Rocky Patel Vintage '92 and a glass of Four Roses.

-Hays
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    ryanjo1111:
    Hey, I'm wanting to starts smoking and have bought a humidor. What is a good quality mild cigar that would go good with a glass of good bourbon? I really hate to spend a lot of money on a smoke that I wouldn't like. Any advise would help, thanks.
    Check out this great Cigar.com article regarding bourbon pairing: http://www.cigar.com/catalog/featuredArticles.asp?artnum=16

And I'd agree with Hays --- the flavors from a "mild smoke" will be washed out behind the bourbon's stronger flavors. I'd go with a smoke that's more toward the medium, medium-full range.

I really like a DPG smoke with a glass of bourbon.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    Maduros are great with bourbon. Choose a strength and tell your local tobacconist to steer you in the right direction. USUALLY these guys are honest businessmen.

My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce. Nothing overly spicy or offensive, but eat a big meal if you are a truly newbie smoker.
    youngryan216:
    My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it to worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce.
    I second the maduro suggestion, but the '64 maduro might be a bit heavy for someone looking for mild cigars (IMO)

""The end of a truly great cigar is somber, as if saying goodbye to a friend who had time to sit and listen."
    This, however, is a beautiful quote man! Where's that from?
    Hays:
    youngryan216:
    My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it to worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce.
    I second the maduro suggestion, but the '64 maduro might be a bit heavy for someone looking for mild cigars (IMO)
    Interesting. I find it on the lighter end of my maduro tastes. Maybe something like a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro churchill? Strap in for a long after dinner treat!
    youngryan216:
    Hays:
    youngryan216:
    Interesting. I find it on the lighter end of my maduro tastes. Maybe something like a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro churchill? Strap in for a long after dinner treat!
    Well that's where the subjectivity of taste comes into play - for some reason the Lot 23 has always knocked me flat on my a**. It's an anomaly, I know, but no joke that cigar wipes me out. Love it after a solid dinner though!

man I miss good maduros :-(
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    Darktower007:
    Hello and welcome. Avo domaine and a bottle of pappy van winkel 12 yr to cap it off. Bliss
    +1
    And If you're able to come across the 12 year, please PM me immediately LOL
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Psd4 and macallan12
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    ryanjo1111:
    Any advise would help, thanks.
    the word you are looking for is advice. ;)
  • benhanksbenhanks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 323
    D Fresh:
    Darktower007:
    +1
    And If you're able to come across the 12 year, please PM me immediately LOL
    D, I have the 12. Come on over!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 808
    Make the same post twice in two different threads and then troll out.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 641
    youngryan216:
    Oh my groin
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Troll population always rises in NOV.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 641
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Lol and the pot calls the Christmas tree green
  • EulogyEulogy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,295
    wahooschock:
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Lol and the pot calls the Christmas tree green
    Don't pick on the troll.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Welcome I would say the AVO is awesome as well! Also try paring them with a good coffee also awesome