Home General Discussion

Traveling by air....

tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
Guys....I'm flying down to NC on Wednesday to visit family. I plan on bringing some cigars with me and will not be checking in any luggage. Here's my question.....Has anyone cut their cigars a few days prior to actually smoking them? I don't want my cutter taken away by security. So if I pre-cut the cigar, I figured this would be the only solution.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Dude airline security is picky... I just flew to Arizona and forgot I had a lighter in my pocket. They said nothing... hell I didn't even know til I was about to wash my jeans. Are you taking a travel humi? If so just stick it in there.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    Yep..taking humi with me.....Funny you say that....When I flew to AZ 2 years ago, the first time I went through security they didnt' take my lighter. Our flight was delayed 5 hours in Newark so we went out of the airport and came back in....Security then took my lighter the second go around...Go figure.....ANyhow....I figure I'll use matches down there, so my only concern is a cutter. I guess I can bring a cheap one that I don't care about....
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I travel quite a bit. Pre-cutting your cigars will not hurt them. Just make sure you keep them humid. If you don't have traveling case, use a bag that you get your orders with along with a pillow. That will keep them good for the time you are gone. Last time I traveled, I forgot to take my Xikar cutter out of the bag and they didn't notice but I made sure not to make the same mistake on the way back.
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    Just recently traveled and had my bag inspected. You cannot take a torch lighter (carry on it can be checked) but can take a regular lighter like a bic. Not sure on matches although I'm sure they would be fine and if they take matches who cares. The guy took out my cutter opened and closed it a few times and made sure I couldn't take the blades out and was fine with it. Lost my torch lighter but still have my cutter. This was at the ATL airport fyi.
    thanks guys....4bob..>I'm flying to Charlotte then driving to Atlanta to visit family.....Hopefully the weather is good for a nice smoke...
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Matches and plastic cutter. Hell, where are you going to in NC? There is tobacco eeeeeverywhere in NC and plenty of shops. Shouldn't have any problems finding a cheap cutter and matches down there.
    clearlysuspect:
    Matches and plastic cutter. Hell, where are you going to in NC? There is tobacco eeeeeverywhere in NC and plenty of shops. Shouldn't have any problems finding a cheap cutter and matches down there.
    I hear yah...BUT...I'll be with the wife and kid the entire time and staying with my sister. I'll take a plastic cutter and buy one down there if need be...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    clearlysuspect:

hE_LL matches are our state tree ;)
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Is this just in the US? Cause I don't plan on handing my Xikar's to any customs agent when I go to Cuba. But I sure do want to bring my "tools" along without fear of donating them to the seized goods pile.

Is it OK to put them in checked baggage?

• 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    Checked luggage should be fine.

What you planning on doing in Atlanta?
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    laker1963:
    Is this just in the US? Cause I don't plan on handing my Xikar's to any customs agent when I go to Cuba. But I sure do want to bring my "tools" along without fear of donating them to the seized goods pile.

Is it OK to put them in checked baggage?

Checked on in the "bum" are the only place you can store them
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Believe it or not, there is a pretty nice cigar shop in the Charlotte airport. I think it's in Concourse C. I haven't been able to spend much time in it (always in a hurry in the airport it seems) but I was surprised that they seemed to have a decent selection. Not sure if you could buy a cutter there though.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Heavy:
    Believe it or not, there is a pretty nice cigar shop in the Charlotte airport. I think it's in Concourse C. I haven't been able to spend much time in it (always in a hurry in the airport it seems) but I was surprised that they seemed to have a decent selection. Not sure if you could buy a cutter there though.
    If you're already in the concourse then you're past the security check point!
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    tankbonnies:
    Has anyone cut their cigars a few days prior to actually smoking them? I don't want my cutter taken away by security. So if I pre-cut the cigar, I figured this would be the only solution.
    I think I remember reading something Kuzi posted on a similar topic about how it was bad to store cigars after cutting them... Enlighten us Kuzi?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    tankbonnies:
    Guys....I'm flying down to NC on Wednesday to visit family. I plan on bringing some cigars with me and will not be checking in any luggage. Here's my question.....Has anyone cut their cigars a few days prior to actually smoking them? I don't want my cutter taken away by security. So if I pre-cut the cigar, I figured this would be the only solution.
    Where in NC are you headed? There are a couple GREAT B&M's in Raleigh if you are close.
    Thanks guys for all of the responses.....I'm heading to Charlotte tomorrow night. I'll definitely stop at concourse C to check out the cigar shop......As of now I'll pack a cheap cutter and take my chances...
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    I flew out of Newark to Cancun two months ago and I had a cheap cutter in my carry on. I had no problems it went right through. I also had a punch on my key chain and no problems there either.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    tankbonnies:
    Thanks guys for all of the responses.....I'm heading to Charlotte tomorrow night. I'll definitely stop at concourse C to check out the cigar shop......As of now I'll pack a cheap cutter and take my chances...
    I just double checked - I think it is actually Concourse B. Sorry 'bout that!
    Thanks Heavy....I'll have to check it out