Home Non Cigar Related

Winter jacket

D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
I'm in the market for a new winter jacket and have been looking at North Face. Wondering if anyone has one and likes or dislikes it. Trying to do my research before spending the money.

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Not a north Face guy so I'm no help. I have been using Carhartt for the last 15 years, hard to beat.
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    firetruckguy:
    Not a north Face guy so I'm no help. I have been using Carhartt for the last 15 years, hard to beat.
    Thanks. I'm not set on North Face, just what I was looking at first. Definitely open to suggestions
    firetruckguy:
    Thanks. I'm not set on North Face, just what I was looking at first. Definitely open to suggestions
  • Bad MonkeyBad Monkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    navy surplus pea coat.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    Just my $0.02, but if you like that style, you might want to check out "Spyder" coats. They're a little different than North Face and you won't look like a lemming this winter. Also, I used to work at Dickk's sporting goods and Columbia brand is almost exactly the same as North Face but usually cheaper by $50 or so. Just my $0.02 to help a brother out.

I like snowboard coats. Such crazy colors these days.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I was always partial to the Filson Cruiser mackinaw. I had an unlined wool one that was incredible. It was a heavy wool and almost waterproof. I hunted in it in the rain when I lived in Washington and rarely got wet. I guess the natural lanolin in the wool helped with that. I've also hunted elk in it at -2 degrees and was comfy doing it. They're not cheap but well worth the price IMO..... ??
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    youngryan216:
    LOL! Thank you all for the suggestions, much appreciated!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    I have a North Face ski jacket. I nabbed it cause it has a mandarin collar. Mandarin collars are ideal for motorcycle work, cause they tuck in under your helmet. I doused the North Face with loads of silicone sealant spray to make it waterproof. It's a decent rain jacket. I never use the liner. Only drawback, the zipper pocket flaps are put on backwards so that they catch water, if that makes sense. Good velcro wrist closures. Kind of a dull orange color. Rolls up nice enough to fit in the big beemer rain kit. Wore it just the other day on the way to work when it was pouring here.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I'm a Eddie Bauer guy and do own some north face stuff...but right now I would look at Columbus's stuff! It's light breathable and warm! But Milwaukee make a battery powered heated jacket if you get really cold
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    I'm a fan of parkas with lots of pockets and attached hoods rather than jackets. I have a North Face hooded shell with liner that I have used for 20 years. Good gear. LLBean has a line of hunting clothing that is pretty high tec, quiet, and well made. I have a Bean Warden's Parka for when it is really foul and I like it. Being an old guy I don't much care how I look, I just want to be warm and dry. What ever you get find a place to try it on to see how it fits before you order it. Patagonia makes some of the best gear avaliable with a lifetime guarantee. Stay warm.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    I have a NF light weight jacket and I love it wind and water proof but I would continue your research before you drop that kind of coin! its pretty cold here in Nebraska and I was able to wear mine most of the winter last year.
    Big''nBall''n:
    I have a NF light weight jacket and I love it wind and water proof but I would continue your research before you drop that kind of coin! its pretty cold here in Nebraska and I was able to wear mine most of the winter last year.
    Thanks for looking out. The one I like the most is a Spyder "The boys are back...
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Have an LL Bean, Columbia and a Perry Ellis, all great. See a lot of Northface and Carhart around here too. For the really colder temps keep length in mind, keeping the butt covered helps tremendously on windy days.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    I wear a brown walls hooded coat or an ugly old carhart jean coat. Both of which I've has for years. For jackets I have a brown Columbia jacket and a green Eddie Bauer fleece jacket.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    firetruckguy:
    When I am out side working on my place, (only time I ever need a jacket) it's a hooded sweat shirt and a carhartt on top. Other wise it's just a bunker coat but honestly it's not warm in the winter and too hot in the summer and way over priced if your just using it for warmth ;-)