Home Non Cigar Related

RIP Printer

WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
It did its job well. And lasted forever, in computer hardware parlance. It was an HP 1012 Laserjet. Got it in 2004 as a present from my wife. It's a fast, rugged, hard to jam up, toner sipping printer, black and white printing work horse. I used it for 5 years before my wife confiscated it in order to use in her classroom. She's a teacher. In case you didn't know, being a teacher is about the only job where you steal supplies from home in order to use at work. Backwards, right? Her school only lets teachers print so many copies per year. Carol needs so much more to do her job to her satisfaction. Hence, the printer-napping. Today, I am sad to report it has fully died.

On a side note, i just ordered the replacement. It is the modern day progression of the 1012, a P1606DN. Duplex. and less than $130. Prices sure have come down. I remember buying HP's first photo worthy color printer - an HP 550c, and I paid around $800 for that sucker. I've bought a lot of printers over the years, but that one sticks out the most in my mind. I was so proud of that 550c.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    My wife is also a teacher and we keep buying stuff for her classroom. She teaches english and has her own in-class library because the schools suchs, but we have to buy the books, shelves, poster board. Lots of stuff.
    Sorry to hear about the printer.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    The step-daughter works for a lie firm located in a downtown Wilmington high rise building which maintains a digital green standard... That means the tenants must use no paper. No printers, no copiers, nuttin. The building management will even surprise tenants with spot inspections, too. Find you papering up the place, a fine goes on your rent. Here's the real odd thing: How the heck you're sposed to practice the lie without papers? That's a mystery to me. I am sure the liars have to send out runners to Kinko's with a thumb drive, then from there to the courthouse.

Seems like a good idea, tho. Eliminize printers. Save the trees. Only common substance worth more per gram than crack is that jet ink.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Printers are the bane of my limited knowledge of technology.

Salesman---"What do you want to print?"

Me---"Words and photos".

Salesman---"What kind of quality?".

Me---"Good?".

Salesman---"How many copies?"

Me---"Well....gee...I don't know...one?"

Salesman---"What size?"

Me---"Well I....regular?".

At this point I started to look around and saw HPs were on sale and bought a middle of the price range all-in-one color ink jet and was happy with it for a long time. It has given up the ghost and I need another one. Hope the same model is still available.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    WaltBasil:
    On a side note, i just ordered the replacement. It is the modern day progression of the 1012, a P1606DN. Duplex. and less than $130. Prices sure have come down. I remember buying HP's first photo worthy color printer - an HP 550c, and I paid around $800 for that sucker. I've bought a lot of printers over the years, but that one sticks out the most in my mind. I was so proud of that 550c.

I have the P1606DN--it's sitting on my desk in front of me right now. It's a great little printer. Prints about 30 pages per minute, much faster than the older 16 PPM HP 2200 I have at home. And you absolutely cannot beat the price for a quality duplex printer.

Of course, with any printer, the hardware itself is cheap because they make the money in the cartridges, which are not. You can find new HP cartridges on Ebay for around $50-$80 (compared to the $120+ they retailers want). I'm using some generic replacement cartridges (which I chose after reading a gazillion reviews on different brands on Amazon) that work pretty well. Not quite as dark as the HP, but most of my printing work doesn't require book-level quality.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    I have an older model LaserJet, its a HP P2055dn that I bought used. That 35ppm though, I've never used a faster printer! I've yet to need a cartridge for this printer but I've previously bought them from newegg.com with decent results.