Home General Discussion

gurkha and drew estate

wahooschockwahooschock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 641
Can someone school me? Why the hate? I loved Undercrown. Haven't tried any infused.I have smoked alot of gurkhas and liked the beauty and beast but feel that may be because inexperience. They didnt burn perfect like the Undercrown but it didnt bother me. So I guess mu question is whats better and reasonably priced? I love the whole range of flavors from super mild to ridiculously earthy so my taste is open. I may have liked them because I had just quit roll your own cigs.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    no real hate for DE on my part. they just are not my preferred blending style. they are also fairly expensive... excessively so. however, they are generally high quality and interesting. the nica rustica has been good to me recently though a bit strong for what i usually like. iduno... DE is good in my book.

gurkha on the other hand.... welll...

CLICK HERE

...yeah...
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    LOL, I totally agree and like some DE stuff. But the truth is wahoo, if you like it, SMOKE IT! A very wise man once told me, "Only YOU can determine what makes a good cigar!" Like what I did there kuzi?????
    mmccartneydc:
    LOL, I totally agree and like some DE stuff. But the truth is wahoo, if you like it, SMOKE IT! A very wise man once told me, "Only YOU can determine what makes a good cigar!" Like what I did there kuzi?????
    i like cigars that dont fall apart when i smoke them.

ya see what i did THERE?
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:

ya see what i did THERE?
    LOL, I know, I was talking about the quote! That's what you wrote on the humi I got from you.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I think mainly because these two brands are constantly overhyped. Gurkha tries to portray itself as a luxury brand, offering cigars that have list prices for hundreds of dollars and only affordable by CEOs and kings. But, in reality, you can get most Gurkhas with "hundred dollar list prices" for a few bucks on sites like Cigar.com. I've tried two "expensive list price" Gurkhas--the Widow Marker and something else--and found them to be absolutely nothing special

Drew Estate built its reputation on ACID and Ligas, and of overhyping itself as an innovator. Perhaps so, but I've tried two of the "expensive" Ligas and found tham to be among the worst cigars I've ever smoked. The Natural was okay but nothing special. The Undercrown is the best DE cigar I've smoked, a fine cigar in its own right but there are plenty of cigars better than it at its price point.

I think part of the reason there's so much hate for these particular companies is because cigar retailers constantly hype them online and in their catalogs. Look in your average cigar mailer and you'll find a Gurkha included in nearly every sampler and more pages devoted to the various DE brandsthat most other brands.
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:

ya see what i did THERE?
    LOL, I know, I was talking about the quote! That's what you wrote on the humi I got from you.
    i remember.

hows the old girl doing?

the quote still holds true. if you put a cigar up to yout lips and take a puff and you like it, then it is a good cigar.

• wahooschockwahooschock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 641
    Thanks for the write up kuzi. I too ran into the exploding wrapper on Some of them but thought it was my error. Guess not.id still smoke a beauty. Just wont buy em now lol.my cat liked the centurians...more than I did.id prefer the Undercrown over the beast but thats not saying much since im new.thanks again doc for the samples though not as powerful as some name brands they do give ya an idea of what ya like.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I really like some of the DE stuff, but they are overpriced in my opinion. I love the Herrera Esteli and think it is very close in profile to a CC but at $9-$10 a stick I would rather buy the real thing. Gurkha just pumps out way too many lines with very poor quality control. I have had some good ones, but have given up on the brand due to bad experiences.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Here goes my opinion:

I personally like some DE smokes. I love the Undercrown. The Liga series is so over priced, its insane. Good sticks? Sure! But not at that price. They are made in small runs, so they become very HTF, and the sheep kill each other trying to get them. Hey, end of the day we're all out to make a buck.

Gurkha however, I've never had good luck with. From a taste standpoint ONLY, they have been good. But when you factor in price, construction, etc etc etc...horrible. Just horrible.

I must say though...I give huge props to JD. That company does a lot for the community (at least community of smokers)...and then factor in how much they donate to CFW. (even if its a tax write off). I remember reading about JD saying no to Storm Boen when CFW first started up, because he wanted to make sure it was super legit. Now?! DE donates 10s of 1000s of cigars. JD (seems to be, at least) a truly good dude.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    IMHO Drew Estate has one good infused cigar: Java maduro. Yes, it is very flavored. However, what a great beginner smoke and usually always constructed very well as are most DE's I've fired up.

Also, Gurkha Park Avenue torpedoes can be had at $2 per stick during some sales and are a solid morning coffee stick.

The more traditional brands are favored by old vets and young snobs typically and marketing takes the rest hostage. Just let your tastes guide you and you will be golden.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I'm a de hater and always will be...I don't really like the sales pitch or anything about them. For Gurkha well they just suck! No flavor horrible burn and well yeah they suck! I tend to stick with what I like and both are not in my category
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:

ya see what i did THERE?
    i remember.

hows the old girl doing?

the quote still holds true. if you put a cigar up to yout lips and take a puff and you like it, then it is a good cigar.

She's doing great! Holding all my Fuentes! Thanks again Matt for all you do!