Home Non Cigar Related

Fox News Nabs Historic Cable Ratings Victory

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
by Michael O'Connell, Hollywood Reporter

No one would say the summer of 2014 suffered any shortage of breaking news.

From the crisis in Ferguson, Mo., to the cultural impact of Robin Williams' and Joan Rivers' sudden deaths and all the way up to recent round-the-clock coverage of U.S. strikes on ISIS, cable news has been heavily occupied. The last three months have been so big, Fox News Channel just clocked its first quarter with the most-watched prime-time across all of cable in more than a decade — even besting USA and ESPN.

The average 1.79 million viewers between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m., Monday through Friday, gave FNC its first quarter atop the dial since the Iraq War broke out in 2003. Expanding that block by an hour, which includes Greta Van Susteren at 7 p.m., FNC was the most watched in primetime for the first time ever. And in the targeted demographic of adults 25-54, FNC was up 12 percent from the same period a year ago, with an average 313,000 viewers.

It's the last time the cable network will be compared to its previous primetime. Oct. 7 marks the one-year anniversary of FNC revamping a decade-old lineup with Megyn Kelly's move to 9 p.m. The third quarter marked Kelly's best since launch, up a significant 27 percent (year over year) in the time period previously occupied by Sean Hannity. (Hannity, who airs at 10 p.m., enjoyed a high of his own).

Bill O'Reilly remained the top performer across cable news, despite Kelly's advances, and 14 FNC shows continued to sit atop the cable news roster — while the only other network to see year-to-year improvement, CNN, saw a rather unexpected series perched atop its own rankings. Documentary series The Sixties stands as CNN's most-watched show of the quarter, edging pasting Anderson Cooper with an average 650,000 viewers — 186,000 of them in the key demo. After ratings spikes for the anchor's on-the-ground coverage of Ferguson, his show ranked as CNN's top show in the demo.

Now, have at it.

Comments

• pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    They also had a decisive victory as the most false news network.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Not bad for Fox, I like them. Used to watch CNN a lot but over the years have found Fox to be more reliable for news and less drama than the others. At least the shows I watch.

Teacher told me that the word "news" is an acronym for North, East, West and South. Or did I see that on FoxNews, lol.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    pelirrojo:
    You wanna know why people like Fox News?

Cause they don't hate America.

• pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    Hey if you're idea of America is sitting on the couch listening to the sound of smoke being blown up your ass, more power to you. Our votes count the same haha

Edit, I'll have you know I mean that about all modern cable "news" organisations, not just the particular one that began this discussion.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    pelirrojo:
    AMEN brotha
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Bigshizza:
    pelirrojo:
    AMEN brotha

Double Amen, brotha. And the funny thing about most rabidly devoted FOXNews fans is that they adopt a siege mentality whenever anyone points its numerous reporting mistakes (like when they falsely claimed Bill Clinton smoked $1,000 cigars based on a total misinterpretation of a Gurhka informercial, or when they claimed that Hillary Clinton said that Clintons are broke now, when she actually said that they were broke when they left the White House). For these people, attacking FOX is like attacking their religious institution.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    raisindot:
    Bigshizza:
    pelirrojo:
    AMEN brotha

Double Amen, brotha. And the funny thing about most rabidly devoted FOXNews fans is that they adopt a siege mentality whenever anyone points its numerous reporting mistakes (like when they falsely claimed Bill Clinton smoked $1,000 cigars based on a total misinterpretation of a Gurhka informercial, or when they claimed that Hillary Clinton said that Clintons are broke now, when she actually said that they were broke when they left the White House). For these people, attacking FOX is like attacking their religious institution.
    Triple amen?

But this comment here, Rasin, reminds me of one of my favorite episode of the comedy show "Always Sunny". LOL

Mac:
    "I'm not gonna stand here and present some egghead scientific argument based on fact.
    See these liberals are trying to assassinate my character.
    I can't change their mind.
    And I won't change my mind, 'cause I don't have to. 'Cause I'm an American.
    I won't change my mind on anything, regardless of the facts that are set out before me.
    I'm dug in, and I'll never change."

lower quality youtube clip here: http://youtu.be/22bo6CKJcJM