Home General Discussion

Cigar Industry People

betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
Best job ever, right? Who have you met from the cigar industry? The only people I really know are Terence and Hostos of Quesada. We actually just did an interview with Terence, which is on wrapperbinderfiller.com now.

Comments

• JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    I've met Sam Leccia 2 times.  Great guy live'n a dream and working his ass off.

I've also met Teresa, "Smoking Hot Cigar Chick.com"  Really cool, very nice and obviously has great taste.  She put a picture of her and I up on her site.  Party!!! [<:o)]
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I don't actually "know" any of them, but I've met a bunch of big cigar guys. Rocky Patel, Pete Johnson, Jesus Fuego, Don Pepin, and Manuel Quesada. The one I spoke to the most at length would have to have been Jesus. We walked around the humidor and talked cigars for a long time at that event. Hell of a nice guy.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    PuroFreak:
    ...... The one I spoke to the most at length would have been Jesus. We walked around.... and talked for a long time.... Hell of a nice guy.
    There is something wrong with the way that is written..
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    kaspera79:
    PuroFreak:
    ...... The one I spoke to the most at length would have been Jesus. We walked around.... and talked for a long time.... Hell of a nice guy.
    NON BELIEVER!!! lol
  • ViseronViseron Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    I haven't met anybody in the industry, but it's my goal in life to go back to school once i've saved up enough money. Get me a degree in buisness and open up a tobacconist shop, or a cigar bar with a buddy of mine. Hopefully it can happen!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Viseron:
    I haven't met anybody in the industry, but it's my goal in life to go back to school once i've saved up enough money. Get me a degree in buisness and open up a tobacconist shop, or a cigar bar with a buddy of mine. Hopefully it can happen!
    Agreed, except for I'm already on this track. I've been in school for a while, and I'm pursuing my degree in business management with a minor in hospitality management. Right now I'm putting together a plan of action (later to draft into a formal business plan) for a cigar lounge concept in the SF Bay Area. So at that point, I guess I will be "Cigar Industry People" - and everybody from the forum will receive a free cigar at their first visit! ;-)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    PuroFreak:
    lol, I was thinking the same thing.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Hays:
    Viseron:
    Agreed, except for I'm already on this track. I've been in school for a while, and I'm pursuing my degree in business management with a minor in hospitality management. Right now I'm putting together a plan of action (later to draft into a formal business plan) for a cigar lounge concept in the SF Bay Area. So at that point, I guess I will be "Cigar Industry People" - and everybody from the forum will receive a free cigar at their first visit! ;-)
    You know, I've talked with my wife on opening up a cigar shop, though it wouldn't be for a few years, I wonder if it would be worth it. I know shops have closed all around and the impending laws against them are making it tough. And I know that the US isn't the only one being hit, scotland, england are both having anti-smoking laws being put into place. I wish that cigars would be taken out of the cigarette crowed because it's really killing it.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hays:
    Viseron:
    You know, I've talked with my wife on opening up a cigar shop, though it wouldn't be for a few years, I wonder if it would be worth it. I know shops have closed all around and the impending laws against them are making it tough. And I know that the US isn't the only one being hit, scotland, england are both having anti-smoking laws being put into place. I wish that cigars would be taken out of the cigarette crowed because it's really killing it.
    Ya know Pheebs - I guess it depends on what you consider "worth it". So maybe you might not have a high profit margin, and so you'll make only enough money to get by and pay the bills - but would you not be happy every single day you went to work? I might be a rarity among cigar smokers - I only picked up the hobby three months ago, and never really smoked before that - but I can tell you this: the way I feel in a cigar shop, talking with the owners and making friends with the other customers....? I can't beat that. I've known for a while that I love the hospitality industry... it just took me getting into cigars to find the first path I want to take with that.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hays:
    Viseron:
    the whole of the uk has had a smoking ban in now for a couple of years in all inclosed public places, pubs are closing down all over the place because all the smokers are staying at home. cigars shops have also take a hit but not as much as the pubs.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have met Rocky Patel a few times, he's a really cool guy. And a couple of guys from Alec Bradley...one of them wanted to clip my cigar...and I was like...."uh....NO"
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have made a few contacts here and there and have tried to hook a few guys up here that have review websites. I wouldn't say that I am really tight with anyone but I am developing some contacts and relationships in the cigar industry.

My wife and I want to open a B&M but when you are used to having someone give you a paycheck it is scary. There is tons to research too. I have to say I hate my job and hate my employer. I get paid great and have great benefits but at the cost of my happiness and general well being. I work for a company that leads by intimidation and I am constantly f'ed with in a variety of ways and not becauseI am a bad employee. Anyways, I just think of the joy of running a B&M with a lounge. Yeah I am sure there will be some stress from running your own business but how happy would I be. Everyday be your own boss and partake in your favorite hobby. I know some B&M owners and have met some cigar reps and they are all loving life. They all say it is the best damn job in the world. They all look and act happy.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    jsnake:
    I have made a few contacts here and there and have tried to hook a few guys up here that have review websites. I wouldn't say that I am really tight with anyone but I am developing some contacts and relationships in the cigar industry.

My wife and I want to open a B&M but when you are used to having someone give you a paycheck it is scary. There is tons to research too. I have to say I hate my job and hate my employer. I get paid great and have great benefits but at the cost of my happiness and general well being. I work for a company that leads by intimidation and I am constantly f'ed with in a variety of ways and not becauseI am a bad employee. Anyways, I just think of the joy of running a B&M with a lounge. Yeah I am sure there will be some stress from running your own business but how happy would I be. Everyday be your own boss and partake in your favorite hobby. I know some B&M owners and have met some cigar reps and they are all loving life. They all say it is the best damn job in the world. They all look and act happy.
    "Ummmmm....yeah....I really need you to use the new cover sheets on your TPS Reports, mmmmmm k?"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i met a Xikar Rep the other day. i cant remember his name but he gave me a free Xikar cigar when he saw me pull a cigar out of my Xikar case, cut it with my Xikar cutter, light it with my Xikar lighter, all while sporting my Xikar Defiance hat.

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    kuzi16:
    i met a Xikar Rep the other day. i cant remember his name but he gave me a free Xikar cigar when he saw me pull a cigar out of my Xikar case, cut it with my Xikar cutter, light it with my Xikar lighter, all while sporting my Xikar Defiance hat.

Fanboy!! lol he should of hooked a brother up better then that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    jsnake:
    kuzi16:

i cant complain.
    the only thing better than a good cigar is a free good cigar.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    kuzi16:
    jsnake:
    kuzi16:

i cant complain.
    the only thing better than a good cigar is a free good cigar.
    Thats a great company to be a fan of. Dont have a case yet, but have two cutters two lighters and i use their humdifiers and hygros in my humis