Home Non Cigar Related

Do you even camp, Bro? Travel trailer/RV

13»

Comments

• WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Been lurking and posting a little in that rv-net forum you mentioned earlier Rob. I found this awesome website that lists all the campgrounds you could think of. Including BLM areas that are free. And remote usually. They also have an app that you can purchase. Price of admission gives you the latest updated database. I paid. I love it. Found all kinds of free remote areas around me that I had no idea existed for camping. www.ultimatecampgrounds.com will get you started if you're interested.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    WaltBasil:
    Been lurking and posting a little in that rv-net forum you mentioned earlier Rob. I found this awesome website that lists all the campgrounds you could think of. Including BLM areas that are free. And remote usually. They also have an app that you can purchase. Price of admission gives you the latest updated database. I paid. I love it. Found all kinds of free remote areas around me that I had no idea existed for camping. www.ultimatecampgrounds.com will get you started if you're interested.

I don't know how much experience you have with trailer-camping in the wilderness but something a lot of inexperienced folks make the mistake of is assuming all campgrounds or camping areas are ready for use by trailers or motorhomes. Two major points that must be considered are the roads in the camp area and the condition and location of trees and other obstructions. If I'm going to camp in an area that isn't a private RV park I first physically look the area over for such things as low-hanging branches that can eat up your roof, roads that have sharp turns with or without obstacles you have to maneuver around, etc. Remember, that trailer doesn't track the same as your tow vehicle does. I would NEVER pull my trailer into an area I had not first examined minutely in nothing more than my pickup. Backing a trailer out of certain predicaments can sometimes be impossible.

A directory of jillions of camping areas sounds very enticing but a vast percentage of the places listed in such a directory will be useless to most trailer or motorhome campers for reasons such as I've mentioned above.

I hope I'm not preaching to the choir but - BEEN THERE, DONE THAT..... ??
    jlmarta:
    WaltBasil:

I don't know how much experience you have with trailer-camping in the wilderness but something a lot of inexperienced folks make the mistake of is assuming all campgrounds or camping areas are ready for use by trailers or motorhomes. Two major points that must be considered are the roads in the camp area and the condition and location of trees and other obstructions. If I'm going to camp in an area that isn't a private RV park I first physically look the area over for such things as low-hanging branches that can eat up your roof, roads that have sharp turns with or without obstacles you have to maneuver around, etc. Remember, that trailer doesn't track the same as your tow vehicle does. I would NEVER pull my trailer into an area I had not first examined minutely in nothing more than my pickup. Backing a trailer out of certain predicaments can sometimes be impossible.

A directory of jillions of camping areas sounds very enticing but a vast percentage of the places listed in such a directory will be useless to most trailer or motorhome campers for reasons such as I've mentioned above.

I hope I'm not preaching to the choir but - BEEN THERE, DONE THAT..... ??
    Of course! Always send an advanced party to recon the area before setting up camp. Thanks for looking out for us though! Not everybody may do that.
    OK... So the big day came and went. Here are some pics of the rig. We ended up getting ready to get a new Thor RV/Motorcoach. When the in-laws found out, they offered us theirs for barely nothing - basically pay off what they owed. I couldn't turn that down. Even if we hated it, we could trade it in on that new Thor for 3 times as much as what we paid.

1989 Fleetwood Tioga 24 footer. All the amenities to include on board 3k genny. only 27k miles on it by the time they drove it to us.

Curbside views...
    Untitled

Roadside

View from the cockpit...

We've already had it out over last weekend. Really enjoyed it. Can sleep 6, but it's just the 2 of us so the dinnette never converts to a bed, and the overhead cab area gets used for storage while camped. I imagine we'll have it out at least once a month. As for a humidor, I've got my 10-pack herfador, and for longer uses I picked up that acrylic clear humidor.