Home Non Cigar Related

Problem pledge

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
I encourage all members to take this pledge. I touched on this subject in another thread but I REALLY want you to consider this.

Read aloud like you mean it! "I (state your name) do swear that from this day forward I will use the word problem like a manly man should, and shun the use of the guurly-man word "issue" when I really mean to say problem".

And none of you guurly-men better show me the dictionary definition of the word issue either. Those publications have been corrupted by the likes of Phil Donahue and Opra and all the squishy people who are afraid to use the word problem.

Please post to affirm that you have taken the pledge. If not, you can skip off to squishy town and take your soft fuzzy words with you.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Hey guys! Is this where we talk about feelings?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Rain:
    Hey guys! Is this where we talk about feelings?
    Take the pledge Randy.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    I have an Issue
    Of "Game Informer"
    The Problem is, they never include enough of the games I like reviewed in it

Think that's a good way to use those words ... ???

I admit I use the word "Issue" a lot, just thought it was the (proper wording) in language is all I guess
    Then again thinking on it (as I've not done until now)
    If I was to be confronted by someone, I would not say
    Whats your F-ing "Issue" man ... I would say... Whats your F-ing Problem Man
    So I guess... ya. (of course, my reply to the person would not be all that proper either I think lol)
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Issue - tissue.
    Ok.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Dang Bob, dredging up Donahue! Isn't he dead?
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Bob has issues...

You got a problem with that?

;^)
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    I have an issue I like to call Cigar Acquisition Syndrome. My wife would call it a problem.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Bob Luken:
    I encourage all members to take this pledge. I touched on this subject in another thread but I REALLY want you to consider this.

Read aloud like you mean it! "I (state your name) do swear that from this day forward I will use the word problem like a manly man should, and shun the use of the guurly-man word "issue" when I really mean to say problem".

And none of you guurly-men better show me the dictionary definition of the word issue either. Those publications have been corrupted by the likes of Phil Donahue and Opra and all the squishy people who are afraid to use the word problem.

Please post to affirm that you have taken the pledge. If not, you can skip off to squishy town and take your soft fuzzy words with you.
    I take issue with your insinuation that some of my friends are guurly.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I'm not sure I understand how issues are less manly than problems. I'm not a big fan of the word "challenges" though. Can't say why.
    perkinke:
    Well, maybe, if you google anybody,................internet always says they're dead.
    Bob Luken:
    perkinke:
    Well, maybe, if you google anybody,................internet always says they're dead.
    Oh, nope he's not, don't know why I thought that, issues from my childhood I guess.
    Ken Light:
    I'm not sure I understand how issues are less manly than problems. I'm not a big fan of the word "challenges" though. Can't say why.
    I shouldn't be surprised. You younger guys have grown up hearing issues replace problems and don't understand the evolution of the whole thing. Time-wise it all happened during the "every kid gets a trophy" phase of our recent history. And, I don't know if this was some vast left wing conspiracy or not but, plenty of squishy people thought that problem was just too harsh of a word. It meant bad things. It made people feel bad. Boo hoo hoo. They desired and craved a word to replace problem and they found a way to corrupt the word issues. And really, it wasn't too hard to do. Issues has always meant (among other definitions) a subject of debate or something to be discussed and or resolved on as in a political or private debate. See? Doesn't resolving issues already sound like solving problems? See how easy it was corrupt the word? However, I would hazard to guess that if you go back 40 years and beyond, you will find little if any use of the word issues used primarily as a synonym for problem. Please pay little very little attention my earlier outburst. It was presented in jest by way of exaggerating my feelings on this issue, er, problem.
    perkinke:
    Bob Luken:
    perkinke:
    Oh, nope he's not, don't know why I thought that, issues from my childhood I guess.
    You squishy man. : /
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I had never really thought of the difference... but now that you mention it I think I see what you are saying.

Issue might be for describing, as you said, some sort of topic of debate. "Political issues" for example. No real right or wrong side. Whereas problems are clearly "bad", and it's only "good" if we solve the problem.

So your argument is, for example, "don't say a child has behavior "issues"" because this implies even if they remain unresolved it still isn't necessarily "bad". Call it what it is and say problem. If a behavior is unacceptable or harmful it is bad; it is a problem and not a neutral "issue"

am I on the right track? I can see how issue as used for a synonym for problem gets rid of any clear good vs bad sides.
    The funny thing about this is that the younger staff in my org (40 and under) are constantly being told by the older staff (50-70) not to use the word "problem," especially by the electeds. It's like "conflict" or "disagreement." We don't have conflict in the organization we have "differences of opinion" and we don't disagree we have "creative differences." The stupid thing is none of those three, problems, conflict and disagreement, are necessarily unhealthy or inherently negative. Conflicting ideas are how you develop a good product; disagreements are the only way to develop solid strategies. It's about how you manage those conflicts and disagreements and whether the leadership is confident and competent.
    perkinke:
    The funny thing about this is that the younger staff in my org (40 and under) are constantly being told by the older staff (50-70) not to use the word "problem," especially by the electeds. It's like "conflict" or "disagreement." We don't have conflict in the organization we have "differences of opinion" and we don't disagree we have "creative differences." The stupid thing is none of those three, problems, conflict and disagreement, are necessarily unhealthy or inherently negative. Conflicting ideas are how you develop a good product; disagreements are the only way to develop solid strategies. It's about how you manage those conflicts and disagreements and whether the leadership is confident and competent.
    Oh yeah. I realize it's the older folks that did this to all of us. And the younger folks don't even know it happened in most cases. And your examples illustrates the motivations very well. They want things to sound sweeter. It's like pissin' on someone's leg and tellin' 'em it's sterile liquid. Yes indeed, sterile liquid sure does SOUND a whole lot better than piss. Don't it? LOL But, doesn't it really mean you just got pissed on just the same? Yep. But, We think it's better this way. Here's another example. "Going forward". WTF does that mean? Apparently, it means the same damn thing as "in the future" or "from now on" but somehow you sound smarter saying it that way. (If that makes sense, then how come saying "going backward" when you really mean "in the past" doesn't have the opposite connotation? OK, never mind that.) So how come it sounds better? It does make you sound better somehow or all those speech writers wouldn't have our president say "going forward" over and over during his speeches. Hell, you could get drunk pretty quick if you turned it into a drinking game. Right? Take a shot every time he says "going forward". Oh and bonus double shots every time he says "let me be clear". LOL Pretty dang drunk pretty dang quick.