Home General Discussion

Now what?

FudgeheadFudgehead Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello. I am curious as to what the forum members would suggest I try next. I recently sampled an AVO classic #2 and was a bit underwhelmed. It was good but unexciting. Then I tried a MyFather le bijou 1922 petite robusto and was a tad overwhelmed. Again it was good but full flavored and rich, So what do you all feel might be in between these two specimens?

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    You might want to try Alec Bradley American Classic Blend, or Perdomo Limited Reserve Champagne, for a mild-medium smoke, or Oliva Serie V for medium-full.

And, welcome to the forum!
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    IMHO....Black Crown, AB Nica Puro, AF Hemingway.

ETA: Welcome to the forum!!!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    Fudgehead:
    Hello. I am curious as to what the forum members would suggest I try next. I recently sampled an AVO classic #2 and was a bit underwhelmed. It was good but unexciting. Then I tried a MyFather le bijou 1922 petite robusto and was a tad overwhelmed. Again it was good but full flavored and rich, So what do you all feel might be in between these two specimens?
    I would try a Headly Grange from Crowned Heads, el centruian by my father, and an undercrown by drew estates
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    These are all good choices, I would add the Flor de las Antillas to the list. Welcome to the forum!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    if you liked the Avo classic but want a little more power, try the Avo Domaine. its a similar profile but with more power and roundness.
  • FudgeheadFudgehead Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your sugestions. I am asuming that theses cigars would fall somewhere in between those I mentioned, as far as flavor and intesity. I actually have a few of these suggestions in stock, the A.F. hemingway and Oliva V, so that is what I will sample next. Than kyou all again for your advice
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    The Oliva V is a power house smoke. Transitioning from an AVO classic to an Oliva V may take some getting used to.
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    Oliva V is one of my top 3 smokes always. I keep a few hidden from my wife because she is the same way. If i did not hide them I would never get to enjoy one.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    A few years ago when I got back into cigars more heavily I started with the milds and worked my way up to liking the full bodied stuff pretty quick. A lot of these mentioned are great sticks but like already said the Serie V is definitely up there in power with the LB 1922. Both those and the Undercrown mentioned are absolute favorites of mine.

Some others I would recommend would be the Perdomo Champagne already mentioned too along with the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 and 1992, Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Knight, Tatuaje La Riqueza and Alec Bradley Family Blend. Those are ones I can think of off the top of my head that I really enjoy and aren;t going to knock your socks off strength wise.

There are still tons of cigars I haven't had yet myself but hopefully between the ones we've all listed you can find some you really enjoy. Just have fun trying new stuff and finding your own favorites.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    danielzreyes:
    The Oliva V is a power house smoke. Transitioning from an AVO classic to an Oliva V may take some getting used to.
    Exactly. The Oliva V may be even more powerful than the MF Le Bijou that overwhelmed you. I'd probably recommend the Oliva O or Oliva G if you're an Oliva fan. The 5 Vegas Classic, AVO Domaine, or Davidoff 3x3 might be more up your alley.
  • FudgeheadFudgehead Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    Ok, so the oliva V is a power house. good to know. I assumed I would like dark cigars and the MF le Bij is not all that dark, neither is the Oliva V. I have also a 5 vegas classic, not sure what shade it is because its got a cedar sleeve on it. I went nuts (by my cheapoid standards) buying cigar samplers that I assumed I would share with my friends whan my wife had our baby. I found out I don't really have all that many freinds and less who would smoke a cigar with me. Its just as well though, cause I want to smoke them all myself anyway.
    Thank you all again for your advice and suggestions. Good times
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    Fudgehead:
    Ok, so the oliva V is a power house. good to know. I assumed I would like dark cigars and the MF le Bij is not all that dark, neither is the Oliva V. I have also a 5 vegas classic, not sure what shade it is because its got a cedar sleeve on it. I went nuts (by my cheapoid standards) buying cigar samplers that I assumed I would share with my friends whan my wife had our baby. I found out I don't really have all that many freinds and less who would smoke a cigar with me. Its just as well though, cause I want to smoke them all myself anyway. Thank you all again for your advice and suggestions. Good times
    A lot of people think that the darker the wrapper the stronger the cigar but definitely not always the case. With the V it has Ligero tobacco in it which is a very strong and powerful type of tobacco. There are so many different factors with a Cigar though because you have all the various parts between the filler, binders and wrappers. Two cigars with the same wrapper may be on completely opposite ends of the spectrum strength wise because of different filler and binders. Hopefully with all the suggestions you'll start to find what you really like though.
  • heels0303heels0303 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    Tons of good options...anything by Crowned Heads is money. Tatuaje Black Label GC, L'Atelier SS 46, La Aurora Cien Anos, Anything Padron