Home General Discussion

New cooler problems

musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
So I bought a cooler as my collection is growing. I washed it with distilled water and dawn ultra then let it sit outside for a day. Then I placed all the empty boxes I had and Spanish cedar plus a tray in it. I wasn't happy with the smell after a few days so I repeated the process and let it sit in the sun really well for several hours again. Then I placed everything back in and my boxes with cigars. This was about a week and a half ago. Last week my dad gave me some smokes he purchased on vacation. Tonight I pulled out a JDN dark. It let terribly and tasted funny. So plastic is what I'm automatically thinking and that smell stays with me. I toss the smoke not even a half inch in. I pull a liga #9 from one of my humi's and now am smoking that. I barely am getting any flavor and I'm almost done with the stick. All week I kinda have been checking on the cooler and it smelled not like I wanted it too. So really this is a 3 part question. Are my sticks ruined? What can I do? And has anyone else just had a night where your tastes is cometely off? Even the retro hale? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Damn bro that sucks, I wish I could help but I don't use coolers, but I'm sure someone will know the problem very soon. Hope it turns around for u.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    In reading up on Wineadors before I got mine I know a lot of people complained about the plastic smell too. Many suggested cleaning it out like you did and also some said that putting newspaper inside helped as well. Maybe putting it out in the sun just helped to intensify it rather than remove it. Hopefully everything ends up being ok and maybe try the newspaper route and just let it air out without it being in direct sunlight too.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    I have had days, some times even a week or longer when my taste buds apparently took a vacation, it mostly has to due with whatever I'm breathing at work or out of the shop. Some chemicals and sawdust will throw me off badly. As far as prepping a cooler I fill it with purified water add 4 or 5 boxes of baking soda, let it sit for 24 hrs rinse and dry. I've done this with a few coolers and have no odor problems at all. If your sticks are contaminated I'm not sure what you can do maybe wrap them in newspaper for a while?
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    I'm probably being paranoid. Part of me thinks it could be the boxes giving the odor. Some of the boxes paint maybe? I took everything and filled my desktop humi's. I'll probably just buy another humi. Let everything sit for awhile and let them rest. Give myself a break too.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Two questions. What type of cooler is it? I would think that most coolers would be ok out in the sun but I'm wondering if the glues and insulation in your cooler might be smelling bad due to the heat of being left in the hot sun all day. Second question. Are you on any new medications since the last time you were able go enjoy a cigar. Sometimes that can take your taste away so you can't appreciate a good cigar.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    +1 on the newspaper. Fill it with crumpled up newspaper for a day and that should help.

• TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    YankeeMan:
    +1 on the newspaper. Fill it with crumpled up newspaper for a day and that should help.

Totally agree. after I wash out my coolers and dry the, in the sun, I fill them with bunched up newspapers for 1-2 days. They will absorb any left over plastic smells.

But, depending on what boxes you are putting in, some maybe painted. But smell the cigar box prior to putting it in, you'll know.
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    Trident:
    YankeeMan:

Totally agree. after I wash out my coolers and dry the, in the sun, I fill them with bunched up newspapers for 1-2 days. They will absorb any left over plastic smells.

But, depending on what boxes you are putting in, some maybe painted. But smell the cigar box prior to putting it in, you'll know.
    +2 but if you really want to go hardcore on it (i tried newspaper in my wineador and it didn't really work) you can get activated carbon in the fish dept of most pet stores. That'll fix you right up.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    onestrangeone:
    I have had days, some times even a week or longer when my taste buds apparently took a vacation, it mostly has to due with whatever I'm breathing at work or out of the shop. Some chemicals and sawdust will throw me off badly. As far as prepping a cooler I fill it with purified water add 4 or 5 boxes of baking soda, let it sit for 24 hrs rinse and dry. I've done this with a few coolers and have no odor problems at all. If your sticks are contaminated I'm not sure what you can do maybe wrap them in newspaper for a while?
    Baking soda worked for me too. I let some BS sit in the cooler for a few days and then wiped down the inside of the cooler after mixing it with some water to make a paste. BTW, BS=baking soda :)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Chemnitz:
    onestrangeone:
    Baking soda worked for me too. I let some BS sit in the cooler for a few days and then wiped down the inside of the cooler after mixing it with some water to make a paste. BTW, BS=baking soda :)
    +1
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    I am going to try the baking soda and see what happens. Probably will do the cleaning process over as well before hand. Thanks for all your input guys.