Home General Discussion

super mild box pressed suggestion?

tmanwelltmanwell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
Hey guys
I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with all these questions. It's just easier to ask here than go down to the cigar store…

So, I've never smoked a box pressed before. I think they look way cool. My default smoke is a 5x50 Robusto style, super mild, like the Ashton Classic.

So here are my box pressed questions:

1. Does a box pressed *behave differently than hand rolled? Does it have different characteristics that are unique in comparison to hand rolled?

2. Will a punch work with box pressed or do they have to be cut?

3. Seems like most box pressed I've seen tend toward the medium-full end of the spectrum. Can anyone suggest a couple of UBER-mild/mellow ones for a beginner??

Thanks!
T.M.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I'm box pressed is hand rolled! Second why would you ever want super mild? Third box pressed usually will have mor flavor since the wrapper to filler ratio is higher. If you want super mild and just eh go with macanudo if you want medium there are a ton of great smokes...mild to me equals why did I spend money on this super mild to me equals bundles of rajis
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe the only thing about a box press is they take a standard made stick and "Press" it for a period of time into the box press shape, others here may be able to correct me otherwise if I'm wrong and add more though

as far as the "mild"goes, I don't smoke those, am a med/full - full smoker
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    The 5 Vegas gold comes in a box press I believe. I would recommend that one. It was one of the first ones I started smoking and enjoyed them.
  • tmanwelltmanwell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    honorknight7:
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe the only thing about a box press is they take a standard made stick and "Press" it for a period of time into the box press shape,

Ah.
    My bad for being ignorant on the way it's constructed. Thanks for the clarification!

T
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I love boxpress. Lots of different opinions on them regarding flavors, burn rate, draw... box press are made exactly like their round counterpart, but then pressed in a mold. Some cigars have a "natural" box press from being packed into a cigar box when fresh and having their sides squished together. This is common with most cubans.

As for a super mild box press, I will have to think! You are right; many of the square cigars that come to mind are not mild (connie wrappers or other mild tobacco). Good boxpressed cigars that come to mind are padron anniversary series, oliva masterblends, jameson santos de miami... none are considered mild really.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    MorganGeo:
    The 5 Vegas gold comes in a box press I believe. I would recommend that one. It was one of the first ones I started smoking and enjoyed them.
    I just remembered this one as well. The golds are not bad. Very flavorful for a mild smoke, and there is a pressed vitola.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    mild to me equals why did I spend money on this super mild to me equals bundles of rajis

That's fine.
    Mild, to me, does not mean that.

T
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    If you're looking for a box pressed cigar, I'd also suggest the Tatuaje El Triunfador. Surprisingly mild and very flavorful.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    tmanwell:
    1. Does a box pressed *behave differently than hand rolled? Does it have different characteristics that are unique in comparison to hand rolled?
    as mentioned above, they are hand made.
    they do have a few different characteristics than a non-pressed cigar. the biggest difference is that you can set the cigar down on a slightly inclined surface and it will not roll away. this comes in handy if you find yourelf smoking on a boat with slightly choppy waters.

they also feel a bit different in the hand.

depending on how they are box pressed, there may be one more thing that will be different. If they are box pressed like most non-Cuban cigars are (by putting them in an actual press after the wrapper is applied but before it hits the aging room) then there will be no difference. if they are pressed in the traditional Cuban style (by forcing round fresh rolled slightly wetter cigars into a box and forcing said box closed and immediately shipping them (called "wet packed")) they may not be instantly ready to smoke. this style of box pressing results in a slightly "gentler" press with softer corners than a cigar that has actually been pressed in a press.
    tmanwell:
    2. Will a punch work with box pressed or do they have to be cut?
    punch will work
    tmanwell:
    3. Seems like most box pressed I've seen tend toward the medium-full end of the spectrum. Can anyone suggest a couple of UBER-mild/mellow ones for a beginner??
    im into mild cigars but i dont care one way or another about the press so i have no idea off the top of my head... sorry.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Second why would you ever want super mild? ...If you want super mild and just eh go with macanudo if you want medium there are a ton of great smokes...mild to me equals why did I spend money on this super mild to me equals bundles of rajis
    or you can buy better mild cigars like the Avo XO. cigars do not need to be strong to be good.
    You are right kuzi but he stated super mild! Avo is a good balance of mild to medium... So what would you state as a good super mild??
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Lee! Don't be rude to the new guy. Gee wiz man. If he says he likes mild cigars it's not your job to question his taste for mild cigars and to tell him how much of a waste of money mild cigars are to you.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You are right kuzi but he stated super mild! Avo is a good balance of mild to medium... So what would you state as a good super mild??
    id go with an avo classic. 5 vegas gold. Cusano 18
    Bob Luken:
    Lee! Don't be rude to the new guy. Gee wiz man. If he says he likes mild cigars it's not your job to question his taste for mild cigars and to tell him how much of a waste of money mild cigars are to you.
    i enjoy a mild to medium cigar but a super mild makes me think of... Anyways you guys are right I'm sorry
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Nat Sherman Conny is as mild as it gets
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bob Luken:
    i enjoy a mild to medium cigar but a super mild makes me think of... Anyways you guys are right I'm sorry

Thanks guys.
    I **DO appreciate all of your help & suggestions. Perhaps 'super' mild was a bit misleading of a term for me to use. My taste buds had something like the Oliva Connecticut reserve and Aging Room Havao in mind. I guess as to whether or not that's super mild is in the ...er... taste buds of the smoker. Stretching it, for me, has been the Fuente Hemingway.
    Regardless, you ALL have been super helpful and I can't thank you enough for the great suggestions and education I'm getting on this forum!

T.M.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    tmanwell:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bob Luken:
    Thanks guys. I **DO appreciate all of your help & suggestions. Perhaps 'super' mild was a bit misleading of a term for me to use. My taste buds had something like the Oliva Connecticut reserve and Aging Room Havao in mind. I guess as to whether or not that's super mild is in the ...er... taste buds of the smoker. Stretching it, for me, has been the Fuente Hemingway. Regardless, you ALL have been super helpful and I can't thank you enough for the great suggestions and education I'm getting on this forum! T.M.
    I know how you feel. I learned more here my first three months than i could have learned in a year on my own. We love to share our experience. Sometimes we are a bit blunt in our opinions but all these guys are great.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    a couple other brands you may want to look into that i haven't seen mentioned yet.... angelenos by fuente
    not a sharp box press but a nice soft press to it

also, san lotano oval connecticut.
    again not a sharp box press but flat with rounded edges.

i'd say both of these are on the upper side of mild.
  • heels0303heels0303 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    My thoughts:

1. No, box pressed cigars are hand rolled. There are really no other characteristics that are different than the shape.

2. Yes

3. Go get yourself an Illusione Epernay Le Matin
    heels0303:
    Go get yourself an Illusione Epernay Le Matin
    i endorse this suggestion 100%. The Epernay, if i remember correctly, uses no Ligero. this makes it a good option for a mild cigar but it also makes it a good candidate for age because the cigar will not change as drastically as it does so. it will get smoother and slightly milder where as heavy ligero cigars will change flavors and may not even seem to be the same cigar after 5-10 years.