Home General Discussion

without humidor question

tmanwelltmanwell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
Yet another question for you guys…
I'm primarily a vacation/out-of-town smoker. When I buy my cigars at the local premium store they always seal them in a ziplock baggy for me.

The question, however, is for how long can I expect them to keep? It's never seemed like a day or 2 is a problem… but I'm curious as to how long they should keep? ALSO… what about heat/cold? If it's winter (I'm in the upper midwest) & they're out overnight in the glovebox it will get pretty chilly… or opposite.. if it's summer they're going to bake out. I assume extreme temps are bad, but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks!

T.

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Welcome, T!

If it's more than a couple days, I'd probably want to put a Humi-care pack in the bag. After rhat, transporting would seem to morph into storing. You might also look into picking up a travel humidor, which would hold a small handfull of smokes and provide for humidification. They're pretty affordable.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Good advice, but I'd add you should bring them inside rather than leave them in the glovebox. The extreme temps might not do any harm, but they might cause the cigar to underperform when you smoke it the next day. If you read up a bit on here, you'll see a lot of reference to "resting" cigars for days, weeks, or months after we receive them from online. This is because the extreme temps (and humidity changes as well) from shipping act the same as your glovebox and most of us don't want to risk a bad experience (or wasting an otherwise perfectly good cigar) by smoking Right off the Truck (ROTT for short).
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Ill also add to what Doug said, I would not keep them in the glove box more then you absolutely have to. Temp swings like that are not the best thing for them for long term storage.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Or what speedy fingers Ken said just seconds before me.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've kept them for a week in a ziplock Baggie with no humidification and they were fine. If they do start getting a little dry you can always ball up a paper towel and lightly dampen it and toss in there for short term storage.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    FireRob:
    Ill also add to what Doug said, I would not keep them in the glove box more then you absolutely have to. Temp swings like that are not the best thing for them for long term storage.