Home General Discussion

If you were stranded on an island...

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
Leaving for a week in Maui next Tuesday morning. Qualified for the trip through my company for 2013 production. Super excited to be able to take the wife on a dream vacation, and to get away from the craziness for awhile.

Also looking forward to enjoying some great smokes on the beach. That's where you brothers come in. If you were stranded on an island and could only take one cigar, what would it be? I'm thinking that your answers might help me decide what sticks to take along for the trip. With that goal in mind, please keep your answers in the realm of smokes that are actually relatively available. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    First off, congrats! That's an awesome reward for what I can only assume was an incredible amount of hard work. Second, you're going to be there a full week yet you limit us to one cigar?!? Third, I gotta name a cigar and vitola and assume Cubans are out of the picture. It would have to be an Opus X Love Affair with at least a full year of age on it. That cigar/vitola has been talked up so much that only an amazing setting could allow it to live up to expectations. Whatever you're smoking, enjoy it Doug!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Thanks, brother! I figured if several people responded, each with their ideal stick, I would end up with a nice list of possibilities. I've got a week to shop, so they can't be too hard to track down.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Nice work and congratulations! For me at the moment I would say Four Kicks Sublime. So complex with spicy and sweet flavors. Possibly my favorite cigar right now (and I've been trying quite a few after the lotto win). Enjoy the vacation!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    Las calavares......great cigar and available
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    I have been thinking a lot about this question as my honeymoon draws nearer. I know I am going to take an Opus X that Chuck N sent me for my birthday, a Little Monster or two from BigShizza, I have a Casa Fuenta lancero I picked up in Vegas, and I'll likely through in a couple Ashton Heritage and a couple Don Carlos. I'll likely also pick up a couple of Cuban RyJs when I am there.

I've only had one other Opus X before so for me this is a big deal. The little monsters, because it will be in October. The rest because I really like them and they are not (for me anyway) every day smokes so they will be special.

I guess that's my advice. Look for something that will add a little to your memory of the trip....
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Opus X A. Wait ....... It's one of those I'm gonna die soon after right?
    danielzreyes:
    Geez! I hope not! But thanks for making me suddenly nervous about the long flight! LOL
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Puff_Dougie:
    danielzreyes:
    Geez! I hope not! But thanks for making me suddenly nervous about the long flight! LOL
    Ohhhhh, I though it was like my last cigar ever because I'm stranded on an island.

A smaller opus x then. Or a nicely aged cc
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    gran habano 3 sls
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I'd take an AB Pryme, Shark or aged Opus X double belisco and I wouldn't smoke them unless it was perfect. There's high humidity and winds there, at least last month there was.... Enjoy and Congrats on your achievement!!
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    ya to go along with what jimbo is saying, due to the high humidity and winds, i'd bring nc. put a boveda pack in there w/ some cedar sheets. that'll help regulate the rh. my cc there smoked like crap. nc overall was fine.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 808
    If could only smoke one cigar forever it is the Oliva V Melanio, but if I had to choose one cigar and have it my last I would go with Oliva MB 1.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    CC - PSD4 or Monte 2
    NC - Shark, Torano or older Davidoff.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Some Avo XO for mornings with coffee and then some Viaje Leaded or Las Calaveras
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Trouble here is that you're leaving in a week, so if you don't already have an Opus or Anejo that you've been aging for the past year or 5, your'e SOL there. So I'd go with a God of Fire, they age them a couple years in the factory before they send them out, so they're ready to go.
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    Immaculata for the morning coffee and I would go out on a limb and say Cohiba Camador. I know they get a bit of a bad rap because of the price, but man is it a good smoke. I think they are phenomenal. Enjoy your trip Dougie!!
    Some awesome suggestions so far, gents! Best grocery list ever!

A couple people have mentioned the Shark. What is it? Who makes it?
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    It's a Fuente Anejo Shark.

I'd say take your favorite stick!

If you want my favorite stick, that's hard. Maybe a Regius under the conditions talked about. Or you seemed to like an Ave Maria. Not super high-end, but a good stick.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Puff_Dougie:

The shark is a vitola made by Fuente. It is a basically a boxed pressed torpedo, but the box press isn't the entire length of the stick. To my knowledge, only the Opus and Anejo come in the vitola, and I'd guess people are talking about the anejo. To me, smoking an Anejo before it's first birthday is a complete waste of a stick, though. That's from a very limited sample, I'll admit. I had one young and wasn't at all impressed and one with probably 2 years on it and was floored by it. That's the end of the story though, so the young one could've been a bum stick.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Bigshizza:
    I'd take an AB Pryme, Shark or aged Opus X double belisco and I wouldn't smoke them unless it was perfect. There's high humidity and winds there, at least last month there was.... Enjoy and Congrats on your achievement!!
    Agree with Jim and the month. Plus since Opus is on your wish list, what better time to buck up to that price tag than when you are on a free trip! Congrats!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Puff_Dougie:

Look up Fuente Anejo No. 77.
    That is how it is listed for sale.
  • Chuck NChuck N Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 792
    Id take Jessica Simpson.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Maui Wowie. Cigar would have to be Opus-X, if I had to pick 1. I have some Armada's over 2 years old now, would be my 2nd choice.
    First trip to the B&M yielded the following...

Ave Maria Immaculata
    Torano Exodus 1959 (BFC)
    Aurora Barrel Aged
    Arandoza Blue Label
    Arandoza White Label

That should get me through the first day...
    Chuck N:
    Id take Jessica Simpson.
    I'm doin' WAY better than that... I'm taking Mrs. Puff! :^)
  • SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
    JDN Cuarto Cinco would be a good stick & should be readily available in your local B&M
    Sasquatch:
    JDN Cuarto Cinco would be a good stick & should be readily available in your local B&M
    Good call, Squatch! Got a few of 'em in the humi and ready to go!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Kristoff Ligero Maduro Robusto or Matador
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Right now I'm on a bit of a Alec Bradley kick.so prob some of there new stuff,mundial,nico puro ,tempest all good smokes .in my opinion!