Home General Discussion

Southport Humidors

JRigsJRigs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
So I made the mistake of buying a 50 ct humidor as a new guy and now I need an upgrade. I'm thinking of buying the Southport Zebrawood Humidor from CCOM. I have had good experiences with this site in terms of cigars. Unfortunately, the product description is very short. I don't even know if it is lined with Spanish Cedar. I tried to do some research into this humidor and Southport generally and didn't find much. I did find one thread that said that their Southport was lined with a kind of particle board type construction & was pretty terrible, while another said Southport Humidors are the best of the humidors he tried, even at their relatively low price. Does anyone have any experience with Southport Humidors?

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I had a southport medium humidor and was very happy with it. I don't know anything about the zebrawood one currently for sale, but I'd assume it would be lined with spanish cedar to be called a humidor at all.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I also had a southport and liked it...but you should be aware the count is by coronas! Maybe if you stick around you'd learn more?!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Oh ps I bet you wiped it down
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Buy a cooler and keep your 50 count as a smoking humidor. If you stick around here you will need a cooler eventually.
  • JRigsJRigs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I also had a southport and liked it...but you should be aware the count is by coronas! Maybe if you stick around you'd learn more?!
    Buying a 150 ct. Thought of buying a cooler but I don't think I'm there yet. I do plan to stick around. I imagine if I ever make decent money I'll need coolers to store boxes, and I'll have to figure all that stuff out, but as it stands I doubt my habit will be such that I'll need more than 150 ct (even if it's more like 120) any time soon. I just can't afford it!
  • JRigsJRigs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    Ken Light:
    I had a southport medium humidor and was very happy with it. I don't know anything about the zebrawood one currently for sale, but I'd assume it would be lined with spanish cedar to be called a humidor at all.
    Thanks Ken, I think I'm going to go with it. There were a couple on Cheaphumidors.com that I liked, but were 150-200 dollars, and I think that's more than I'm willing to spend for now.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    Keep an eye on the sprint sale here. I got a 150ct humidor for a super good price and when dealing with large packages free shipping saves you a ton of money.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    JRigs:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Buying a 150 ct. Thought of buying a cooler but I don't think I'm there yet. I do plan to stick around. I imagine if I ever make decent money I'll need coolers to store boxes, and I'll have to figure all that stuff out, but as it stands I doubt my habit will be such that I'll need more than 150 ct (even if it's more like 120) any time soon. I just can't afford it!
    Funny. I think just about every one of us thought the same thing at one point.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    0patience:
    JRigs:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Funny. I think just about every one of us thought the same thing at one point.
    Ha! True for me: 50ct; 150ct; cooler!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Got the Southport small when I first started, still going strong, use it as my overflow. Call or write CCOM and ask for more details about it, they will help you out. After that I got an Evanston, bigger of course. Then an even bigger Evanston. But the Southport is till working fine.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I have the "southport large". It's been a great desktop. At some point I'd be willing to get another one. I don't know if it's a fluke or not but this himidor has the most prominent cedar aroma. I really love it's smell.