Home General Discussion

Maduros and humidifiers

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
I keep all of my 5 Vegas cigars in a 5 Vegas Humidifier. This particular box seems to hold a more consistent and dependable moisture level then any of my other boxes (thank you).

But, I have a burn problem with the Maduros and not the others.

Do any of you have a similar problem? I am thinking about putting them in a separate humidor and adjusting humidity up and down to find a workable level.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    What rh are you running?
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Lee.mcglynn:
    What rh are you running?

67 to 68
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    I hear/read a lot of people will keep their maduro's at a very low RH or dry box them a day or two before they plan to smoke them. My humi that I usually store my "next in line" for smokeing is quite a bit lower RH then my other humi's or coolers and don't seem to notice a problem.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Lee.mcglynn:
    What rh are you running?
    Running, you say?image
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    My thought on the burn issues with maduros is, and I could be totally off base (or a total moron), but since the maduro wrapper seems to be a thicker wrapper, there are far more inconsistencies that can cause burn issues.
    It seems to me, that the fermenting can cause the oils to build in different areas and cause some parts of the wrapper to burn at differnt rates.
    While Rh may be a contributing factor, I personally think that it is the wrapper itself, because I have had similar maduros do the same thing from different humis that were different Rh.
    But like I said, I could be way off base.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Being a maduro person what you are finding is accurate...the wrapper tends to be thicker so to balance the right RH all through the cigar is going to take more time in the humidor. Just because we put our cigars in the humidor doesn't make it an instant humidified stick....it takes time to get it balanced and I usually keep my maduros at the same RH that you do. The thinner wrappers tend to humidify quicker for the reason we should expect and hence are ready to smoke within a few weeks. Since we don't have an instrument that can measure RH from the foot to the head as far as RH it becomes something of our own experience.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Put 2 hygrometers in the humidor and there is a serious difference in the RH between the top and the bottom of the box. So, I guess I will pull the maduro from the bottom since it appears to be "dryer". If that doesn't work I will re-arrange and set up a box for nothing but maduros at the lower RH level.

With all the experiments with hygrometers I should have known. Thanks everyone.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    jd50ae:
    Put 2 hygrometers in the humidor and there is a serious difference in the RH between the top and the bottom of the box. So, I guess I will pull the maduro from the bottom since it appears to be "dryer". If that doesn't work I will re-arrange and set up a box for nothing but maduros at the lower RH level.

With all the experiments with hygrometers I should have known. Thanks everyone.
    huh my cooler the top is dryer...but anyways at 67 I've not had many problems and I mostly smoke maduros. That being said the biggest rg I really smoke is 50/52 and most below a 50rg. But also in the hotter months burn issues are always going to happen...I find cigars smoke much better in cooler temps especially rott in the winter.