Home Non Cigar Related

World Cup 2014

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I'm a soccer dummy, but have been keeping it on in the background while working. I found it twistedly funny that a player from the team the movie Alive was based on was biting another player.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bbass2:
    I'm a soccer dummy, but have been keeping it on in the background while working. I found it twistedly funny that a player from the team the movie Alive was based on was biting another player.
    just in the mood for a little Italian...

also on the more comical side...

this is one of the best world cup themed commercials this tournament:

• perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    bbass2:
    Oh man, I didn't even think about that! Suarez is a douche, I hope FIFA actually does something for a change.
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    Honestly, the guy can play but there is no place for that on the pitch. That's strike 3 and imho the guy should loose the right to strap on his boots indefinitely.
    Seriously, Cantona drop kicks one fan and gets banned for a year, this jack azz has bitten three separate opponents in three separate leagues/competitions and gets...what?
    10 minutes or so from kickoff... excited. looking like it will be a good game.
    im a bit skeptical about the defensive changes. however Klinsmann has clearly done SOMETHING right. i wasnt expecting the US to do this well. im sure ill be posting quit e a bit during this game.
    almost 20 minutes in
    Germany is playing very well. very classic german soccer. lots of great precision short passes. very much the "german machine"
    The US looks to be struggling a little.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Yea we're letting a pass go directly through the 6 like every minute. It could screw us over very easily. Also, every single through-ball is going behind our runners so the attack slows down. No bueno. Still, playing ok.
    No_one21:
    Also, every single through-ball is going behind our runners so the attack slows down. No bueno.
    the field is saturated. the ball is running slow. i can see how that happening. at this level you need to compensate for it. the germans are. but in all fairness they have a shorter pass style game. the US plays the long pass far more often giving the field more opportunity to influence the pace of the ball.

the US defense is tightening up. the still are not where they need to be for a win.
    Uruguay striker Suarez got a decent fine and some time off... 4 months without being aloud to step into a stadium to play. not sure if this is a strong enough penalty for "the cannibal"
    Muller Goal.

good initial save but the follow up shot was too good for Howard to get to.

however... 1-1 in portuagl/ghanna game. if that game is a draw the US could lose by 4 and still move on.
    Yea, we need to finish one of these chances though and stop letting them go because of a bad cross.

Also, this game got significantly more violent after that goal which does not help us. We're the aggressors and getting lots of cards. Could easily lose Jones soon.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    that second goal made me feel a little better......my ass isn't as puckered watching it now.
    Yedlin came in and had a few key touches. just wasnt quite enough for the tie or win.

still made it out of the group.
    im very happy to be wrong.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Now we get Belgium, hopefully we can play them better than last year
    They beat us 1-0 in the friendly, right? But the boys definitely need to be better organized than they were against Germany. I was hoping to see Johannson get in, I thought his speed could have been trouble for the Germans, Dempsey just doesn't have the wheels to do it.
    perkinke:
    They beat us 1-0 in the friendly, right? But the boys definitely need to be better organized than they were against Germany. I was hoping to see Johannson get in, I thought his speed could have been trouble for the Germans, Dempsey just doesn't have the wheels to do it.
    I believe they beat us 4-2 and it wasn't close if I remember. Belgium is really, really good.
    blutattoo:
    perkinke:
    I believe they beat us 4-2 and it wasn't close if I remember. Belgium is really, really good.
    Ah, okay, not sure which game I was thinking of. Yeah, the Belgians were one of my outside favorites to win, I think they have the best defenders in the cup.
    blutattoo:
    perkinke:
    Belgium has a lot of talent, but they haven't really played an overly impressive game yet. It's a game the US can win. There seems to more parity among the teams this year than there's been in the past. As always, there are a handful of teams that are among the favorites to win, but there have been a lot of close games and surprising results.
    ejgorman:
    blutattoo:
    perkinke:
    Belgium has a lot of talent, but they haven't really played an overly impressive game yet. It's a game the US can win. There seems to more parity among the teams this year than there's been in the past. As always, there are a handful of teams that are among the favorites to win, but there have been a lot of close games and surprising results.
    I think they have a size advantage in a few key places. Goalie is 6'6", Fellaini is 6'4", Lukaku is 6'2" and 221 lbs. We've been thrown around a lot by bigger players thus far so that's where I see an issue.
    No_one21:
    ejgorman:
    blutattoo:
    perkinke:
    I think they have a size advantage in a few key places. Goalie is 6'6", Fellaini is 6'4", Lukaku is 6'2" and 221 lbs. We've been thrown around a lot by bigger players thus far so that's where I see an issue.
    Well if Altidore makes it back that is good for us. He seems to struggle against quicker defenders, but trying to out muscle him really plays into his strengths. I hope he comes back at 100%.
    Let's go Chile!
    ejgorman:
    Let's go Chile!
    That would have been a crazy reaction if they won.
    Ridiculous how close mexico came to knocking out NED. Wow.
    No_one21:
    Ridiculous how close mexico came to knocking out NED. Wow.
    yeah, was a pretty good game, not entirely sure that was a pk but that's more because robben dives so often. Loved seeing the Ticos go through but the way they played if it had been anyone but Greece they probably would have lost. Their keeper was a beast though.
    Yep I agree. And the Nigerians really buggered that game today. Kept strong for a long time, but just couldn't stay together when it mattered.
    I'm wondering the same thing about Algeria, at the moment they seem to have Germany's number but can they keep it up?
    Too little too late but that ws a GREAT last goal by Algeria. Too bad for them.
    No_one21:
    Too little too late but that ws a GREAT last goal by Algeria. Too bad for them.
    yup. it was a battle of "who makes a mistake first."

by the 110th minute it was clear all legs were spent.
    one mistake after another by both teams. came down to who could find the energy to capitalize on a momentary lapse. good game to watch.
    Yep, neuer had a fantastic game and the Algerians just lacked that last bit of quality, that first half they beat the German defense almost at will but neuer really stepped up. Few more hours to the us game!