Home General Discussion

Had to lay down after an Oliva Serie V

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
No joke. I smoked this stick last night after a bowl of soup and enjoyed it with a cup of coffee. I felt a good head buzz come and go throughout the smoke but never felt sick. As soon as I finished it and started to move about I felt light headed and started sweating. Looked in the mirror and I was pale as a ghost. I ended up laying down for half an hour. I've never really had a cigar overwhelm like that. I enjoyed the hell out that smoke but it also whooped my ass!

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Happens sometimes!! I usually drink some water or eat something sweet. If I feel lightheadedness coming on (usually toward the end of the smoke) I just take it slow and grab a water. The Oliva V's can be strong. LFD's are what usually kick my butt
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    I know the feeling and it sucks. I usually get it when I smoke on an empty stomach. Happens every time. I usually have the best luck when I sip on a soda but my problem with that is it messes up the flavors of the cigars for me.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    If you liked the cigar, get back on that horse. My first Ruination destroyed me, but I enjoyed the cigar. Haven't had any issues since, but I try to have one on a full stomach.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    The head buzz must have been your first warning, you didn't heed it. Alec Bradley did that to me, told my wife that I thought I was getting a buzz, so I slowed down. Maybe if you drank some water , or munch on something while smoking would help. Stronger cigars I usually have a glass of water or 2, along with whatever other beverage I am drinking. Maybe it helps dilute the nicotine being absorbed by clensing the mouth and mixing in stomach. Seems to work for me,,,, so far.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    This brings up the idea that not all meals are the same at helping to fend off that "sick from cigar" feeling. you mentioned that you ate soup. Would there be much in the way of carbs in the meal you had? Did you have crackers or bread? My thoughts are that carbs and maybe sugars as well are the key to whatever help you can get from a meal in this regard.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
    It was a can of Campbell's chicken and rice soup. A pretty hearty bowl but defiantly didn't leave me full. This just happened to be one of those moments on a Saturday when my wife and son left for a couple hours and I had the place to myself. I went for it, enjoyed it, then paid for it!
  • chrisloldschrislolds Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 421
    Pretzels and Marshmellows, solid antidote for ass kickin cigars.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I have finally learned to smoke a lot slower and this has helped all around with the experience. The head traumas are almost all gone and my enjoyment level is way up. My first of the day is always with coffee, and is usually a light wrapper and milder cigar. The rest of he day is always after eating something no matter what I am smoking.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    I agree with Bob. Carbs are key.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Carbs hmm, interesting. I eat potatoes twice a day at least, along with other carbs. That must be why usually there's no problems. I've smoked Ruinations, Vegas Classics a lot and other med/bolds before breakfast, never gave it a thought. So it's the home-fries
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Oliva V has my frickin' number, too. I've turned green on these more than all other full bodied cigars combined. Either they are that much stronger, which is doubtful, or for some reason my body just reacts differently to them.

I had one in my woodshop once and had to hold on to a tree for support on my walk back to the house. Another time in a B&M I had all I could do to sit in a chair and sweat for a while after a V Maduro. Luckily, I don't enjoy ligero much anymore so these cigars are no longer in my wheelhouse.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Drink bourbon. Then you don't know which is making you lightheaded. Seems to even things out.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 421
    rsherman24:
    Drink bourbon. Then you don't know which is making you lightheaded. Seems to even things out.
    +1
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    im jelly! I wish a cigar made me feel like that!

Aj
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Ohhhh no you don't. Unless you're a masochist.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Chemnitz:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Ohhhh no you don't. Unless you're a masochist.
    really i do i do!

I love me a good Cigar that whomps me in the head with a brick. Takes me back to my green newbee days when most smokes tore me up. nowdays its part of my normal rotation to try the strongest sticks i can get.

Aj
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    rsherman24:

good advice!