Home Non Cigar Related

Beer

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Had a Newcastle and a couple Third Shift Amber Lagers last night. I'm really liking these Third Shifts. They're readily available, fairly cheap and a ton of flavor for a Lager.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Oh man your in for a treat. I had about 10 of the 2011 vintage and they were all awesome. Although the whiskey notes tended to fade over time but the oak and vanilla remained. Ive also had about 10 of the 2012 vintage and they are all pretty bad compared to 2011. Not sure what went wrong with this years but its not even in the same ball park.
    Rob1110:
    That sucks to hear. I have a bottle of the 2011 that I need to crack open soon. I picked it up in a trade with someone on BA and I've been looking forward to it. I doubt the barrel really made that big a difference - if the base beer sucked, no barrel will save it. Could just be a bad batch or an oxidized bottle. When you're brewing on the scale that these guys are, consistence can be pretty difficult to achieve. You gotta remember, they're dealing with biological systems (yeast) and being a biologist, I can attest to how difficult and unpredictable that can be.

Not saying I like Budweiser but you have to give them props for what they do. Their beer tastes EXACTLY the same no matter where you go in the world. They have so much control over EVERY SINGLE step of the process. Again, the final product is still bland and tasteless but it's consistent.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Went out to Three Floyds Brewing and Half Acre Brewing this weekend. Was an absolute blast. Had some great beers and was even able to bring some home too.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    My home is presently devoid of beer. I need to remedy that.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Drank Founders Breakfast stout for the first time last weekend...

Oh
    My
    God
    It was better than you all described ... might be my new "go-to" coffee stout.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Just racked 24 bottles of porter. They are resting.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    jgibv:

Oh
    My
    God
    Might want to stock up. They aren't available year round. They will probably start disappearing from shelves shortly. In case you are really liking Founders, I thought I'd post this up for reference. image
    beatnic:
    Any chance you are talking about Founders Porter (given the Founders post right above)??? If so, nice choice! I have a few in the fridge right now just calling my name.
    Having my first beer on cask. Shipyard XXXX IPA. Quite bitter as you might imagine. Nice malty, caramel notes in the up front taste, though.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    I was trying to find a place online that sells founders I'm really interested in their breakfast stout and KBS, besides that I'm enjoying a St Bernardus abt 12 tonight
    big chunks:
    I was trying to find a place online that sells founders I'm really interested in their breakfast stout and KBS, besides that I'm enjoying a St Bernardus abt 12 tonight
    I'll hook you up with a sampler. If I get the KBS next week, I'll grab your addy and ship some off to you. Tonight, I cracked open an Old Curmudgeon Ale. IMAG0129
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    SleevePlz:
    beatnic:
    Any chance you are talking about Founders Porter (given the Founders post right above)??? If so, nice choice! I have a few in the fridge right now just calling my name.
    Nope. These are home brewed. Generic recipe. I'm learning the craft.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    jgibv:

Oh
    My
    God
    Save me a couple John!!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    SleevePlz:
    jgibv:

Oh
    My
    God
    Might want to stock up. They aren't available year round. They will probably start disappearing from shelves shortly. In case you are really liking Founders, I thought I'd post this up for reference. image
    Thanks for the info and also the calendar ... good to know.
    Will look around for more this week

Bigshizza:
    Save me a couple John!!
    I might just have do that, Jim :-D
    Drinking a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid tonight
    I want to throw Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues out there. World class Russian imperial stout that's silky smooth. Totally holds up to a maduro cigar. Get some.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    You guys are killing my bank account. And I thought I loved beer...
    The hard thing now is just leaving with only one beer when I go to the store
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    y2pascoe:
    I want to throw Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues out there. World class Russian imperial stout that's silky smooth. Totally holds up to a maduro cigar. Get some.
    Guy I work with is really into beer told me Ten Fidy is one of the best he's ever had. Been looking but haven't found any yet. Here's a couple I've picked up recently.

SleevePlz:
    big chunks:
    I'll hook you up with a sampler. If I get the KBS next week, I'll grab your addy and ship some off to you. Tonight, I cracked open an Old Curmudgeon Ale. IMAG0129
    How much KBS are you expecting to get? lol.
    Also awesome pick up AMZ. Ten Fidy is decent but if you can get your hands on some Founders Imperial and let it sit for about 4 months damn is that stuff delicious!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I'm gonna ditto JSaint here. Ten Fiddy is good but don't go nuts searching for it. What you picked up there is WAAAY Better. That barrel aged Siren Noire sounded awesome but sold out so quick around here.
    JSaint:
    Not sure what I'm expecting, but I'm hoping to grab a few 4 packs. I plan to visit several retailers on Monday that sell it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    JSaint:
    Also awesome pick up AMZ. Ten Fidy is decent but if you can get your hands on some Founders Imperial and let it sit for about 4 months damn is that stuff delicious!
    founder's imperial aye! doh, Now I need to search for something else. That X milk stout looks good too, I haven't seen either at my local which sux.
    ddubridge:
    You guys are killing my bank account. And I thought I loved beer...
    Well I blame Rob, cuz he got me into sours and I've spent some 300 plus a month for some time now on them. Sadly the thing is, I spend more on beer than cigars and liquor combined. And beer lasts me what, 30 minutes to an hour a beer! Luckily I have been able to store some of these but at 20 to 30 bucks a bottle it adds up quick.
    Rob1110:
    I'm gonna ditto JSaint here. Ten Fiddy is good but don't go nuts searching for it. What you picked up there is WAAAY Better. That barrel aged Siren Noire sounded awesome but sold out so quick around here.
    yeah it does sound good, but I didn't even see it around me. Must be one of those brews that don't get shipped out my way, like so many others I have wanted to try. Kind of blows.
    SleevePlz:
    JSaint:
    Not sure what I'm expecting, but I'm hoping to grab a few 4 packs. I plan to visit several retailers on Monday that sell it.
    Let me know if you get that many! I only got one last year not even a 4pk lol. And we didnt even get any Backwoods *** down here this year. Which was total bull.
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    My wife went to the store this morning to get some stuff for Easter dinner we're hosting and said she stopped into a new (to her) liquor store. She said they had a bunch of the beers I've been getting into. So I went up to check it out. Man they have a large selection and they're not that far from me. I asked the guy about Founders and he said they're not distributing to MD yet but soon. He gave me some good recomendations and they actually let you mix and match six packs so I picked up a few.

Rob if you're interested next time I'm in the store I got the Siren Noire I can see if they have anymore.
    amz1301:
    My wife went to the store this morning to get some stuff for Easter dinner we're hosting and said she stopped into a new (to her) liquor store. She said they had a bunch of the beers I've been getting into. So I went up to check it out. Man they have a large selection and they're not that far from me. I asked the guy about Founders and he said they're not distributing to MD yet but soon. He gave me some good recomendations and they actually let you mix and match six packs so I picked up a few.

Rob if you're interested next time I'm in the store I got the Siren Noire I can see if they have anymore.
    I've only had the youngs and rasputin (however you spell it). I liked them both. The others I haven't had. But nice load.
    Went to the in-laws tonight and I can't get away from the Founders. Paul grabbed a sampler for us. I went with the All Day IPA first. IMAG0131