Home Non Cigar Related

Help a girl out?

wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
As some of you guys might know, my wife is working as a volunteer in Kenya. She's working with refugees, abused women, and kids that grew up in the slums outside of Nairobi. My wife, Amanda, and her volunteer group came across this 8 year old girl, Marion, who's a special case.

Apparently, the girl's been sexually abused by her uncle and 5 other men. Mom is an alcoholic, and grandmother can't take care of her. My wife and her group are working with Living Positive to get Marion into a boarding school, get medical care, and get her out of her uncle's reach.

If you're willing, please help her out. I'll be donating after I get paid. My mom and two aunts have already donated. Link is below. I suck at figuring out how to make a clickable link here :(

http://www.gofundme.com/9jddqo

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    As soon as I get paid.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    PS I have known a couple of Doctors, Nurses, Agricultural types and Engineers who gave up their very comfortable lives and went on similar "trips". They are amazing people, and everyone should thank them. It ain't an easy thing to do, and yet most go back.

One local Doctor I met when I first moved here goes to Africa (can't remember the country) for 90 days every year. He belongs to a religious group (again I can't remember which one) and they go and build a school and tend to the local populations medical needs. When they come back they raise money for the next "trip". He is one of the happiest people I have met here, and a damn good Doctor.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Thanks so much, guys. And thanks for fixing the link, Dennis.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    jd50ae:
    PS I have known a couple of Doctors, Nurses, Agricultural types and Engineers who gave up their very comfortable lives and went on similar "trips". They are amazing people, and everyone should thank them. It ain't an easy thing to do, and yet most go back.

+10 Gods work for sure!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    The Kid:
    jd50ae:

+10 Gods work for sure!
    This is why I want to do what I'm in school for....
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Just an update. They've reached 1000 out of their 1800 dollar goal, which means that they now have enough to send Marion to boarding school for the first year. They've also relocated her to another uncle's house to avoid sexual abuse from her first uncle and her neighbors. She's STD-free and taking medication for an infection.