Home Non Cigar Related

Whiskey barrel smoking wood.

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
Since the subject of aging whiskey came up, I was talking to a buddy about it.
He told me he's been using whiskey barrel wood for smoking salmon.
So he gave me some smoked salmon the other day. Holy cow, what a difference.
He said he tried some wine barrel wood and it was good, but he likes the whiskey barrel wood better.
If you ever get a chance to get some whiskey barrel wood for smoking meat, give it a try.

Comments

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    I'm not a big whiskey drinker but I bet that flavor is great in the meat.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    I'd bet it would be good! Whiskey and wine barrels are hard to come by around me. I do a lot of wood working and looked into getting some without any luck and the ones I could find they wanted a small fortune for them.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    That does sound awesome, I wonder if it would have a similar effect bbq'ing it like I've done on cedar planks.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    MMM ribs with some whiskey barre wood sounds good. Thanks for the idea

edit:If someone can't find the barrels you might want to try pouring a little whiskey, or wine in a tin pan and set it on the grill and let it evaporate while the food is cooking.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Thanatos0320:
    If someone can't find the barrels you might want to try pouring a little whiskey, or wine in a tin pan and set it on the grill and let it evaporate while the food is cooking.
    That does sound interesting.

Jack Daniels and Jim Beam sell packages of whiskey barrel chunks for smoking.
    Or you can buy staves and chop them up.
    From what I understand, oak is really good for smoking and with whiskey barrels being oak, adds that much more flavor.
    I usually use apple, cherry or maple for smoking. But seriously considering the next batch of sturgeon or salmon, using some Jim Beam barrel chunks.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    0patience:
    Thanatos0320:
    If someone can't find the barrels you might want to try pouring a little whiskey, or wine in a tin pan and set it on the grill and let it evaporate while the food is cooking.

From what I understand, oak is really good for smoking and with whiskey barrels being oak, adds that much more flavor.
    I usually use apple, cherry or maple for smoking. But seriously considering the next batch of sturgeon or salmon, using some Jim Beam barrel chunks.
    I've received bags of the Jack Daniels chips/chunks as Christmas gifts before. I've used them for smoking pork, beef, and chicken and the meat always turns out well.
    I can't say I noticed a distinct whiskey flavor when then meat was done but I always put some type of rub/seasoning on the meat.

Not sure how much the bags go for, but the ones I had all looked like this:
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I think I tried either the Jim Beam or Jack wood. Really liked it. I don't use oak that often, but may have to try it again. Bradley had Crown Royal pucks available once. Never got to try those though
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    jgibv:
    0patience:
    Thanatos0320:

I've received bags of the Jack Daniels chips/chunks as Christmas gifts before. I've used them for smoking pork, beef, and chicken and the meat always turns out well.
    I can't say I noticed a distinct whiskey flavor when then meat was done but I always put some type of rub/seasoning on the meat.

Not sure how much the bags go for, but the ones I had all looked like this:
    That is cool!! Im totally looking for these
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Dont notice the taste from the chips alone (only used the Daniels chips) but I would imagine fish takes on a little more flavor then other meats. I prefer the add a little wiskey/burbon to the soaking fluid or brine. You really can taste it then. The chickens I just smoked ( see lets talk BBQ ) were Bourbon Brined. You can tastte the bourbon in the brine more then out of the smoke chips.