Home General Discussion

Feeling guilty

havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
I put in my first order to c.com today. I know most here will say it's about time, but I have been a big supporter of my local B&M. I love the place, and the owners are great. The prices are high, but mostly because of taxes, not their fault. I'm really torn over this. Small deal in the scheme of things I know. But principles are at stake here. Any thoughts from the regulars?

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Buy bulk at Ccom, singles at B&M...It's what I do.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I tend to make my larger purchases and daily deals at cigar.com. You can't beat the prices, and their customer service is second to none (not to mention if you look at the savings per stick in regards to no tax which would increase the price by atleast 7%). I have a really nice cigar bar near my house that allows you to bring your own if you prefer. I try to pick up a stick or two from time to time and also order a couple of drinks while I'm there. So in a nutshell, I use cigar.com for my larger purchases (cheaper plus no tax), and my single sticks from my B & M.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    I think most guys here still support their B&M in some way or another. You gotta find what works for you. I for one live in Canada and prices are OUTRAGEOUS, think $12 for a $4 stick. I may never set foot in a B&M here again, unless I'm looking for a Cuban, but I'm having a hard time justifying those prices too.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I have one of the best B&M's right by my work and they have a sweet setup with a seperate PRIVATE lounge and everything...

But I do most of my ordering online...

The way I look at it, when a group is enjoying a cigar I go there, when I want to stock up my humidor I go to the B&M

Plus, when you've had a cigar that has a year of rest on it, it's truly a treat, you can't get that from a B&M
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Like most say buy your sticks at your local and bulk online. I have been doing that for a long time. You just can't beat the online deals. My B&M charges $7-$8 a stick for the same sticks I can buy for $2-$3 a stick in bulk online. And when I say bulk I mean boxes and 20 pack samplers.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The B&M I visit has really good pricing, and being with fellow cigar smokers is an experience that I enjoy so buying from them is an admission price, so to speak. I buy from them often so that they will be there. On line retailers like C.Com offer outstanding deals everyday that local store can not match, so they will get the bulk of purchases. Money saved is good, Keeping a business open in your neighborhood is good too. I would miss him if he wasn't around.
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    cabinetmaker:
    Same here. My local B and M owner is old as crap and has an oxygen mask in between cigars. classic.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    cabinetmaker:
    Same here. If you want to try that Camacho Triple Maduro before you put down $275 for a box, you can buy one or two for $12-$15 at your B&M.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    jpclotfelter:
    cabinetmaker:
    Same here. If you want to try that Camacho Triple Maduro before you put down $275 for a box, you can buy one or two for $12-$15 at your B&M.
    Agreed. The way I look at it is basically the same as all the previous replies - singles at your B&M, bulk online. Not to mention, I just love hanging out at my B&M so I'm alright picking up a stick or two while I'm there.

In addition, I think of the b&m vs online thing rather like NetFlix: I have NetFlix, and so movies are sent to me according to a list of stuff I want to see...but plenty of times, I want to watch a particular movie and so I just have to go down to Blockbuster and pick it up. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's a matter of time convenience. Either way, I try to support my b&m because without them (as a whole), there'd be far fewer new cigar smokers (tell me who decides to order randomly online without spending some time in a b&m getting a feel for what you like and don't like???)
  • Cole54Cole54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    cabinetmaker:
    Completely Agree.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I am a big fan of paying where you play, but that being said if I want something in bulk I am going to go where I can get the best price. Throwing money away is just dumb, and it's not your fault the government makes it hard for B&Ms to do business. I'd say based on that don't feel guilty, but telling someone how to feel is also dumb.

Cole54:
    cabinetmaker:
    Completely Agree.

In short, what they said.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I'm gonna jump on with everyone else and say buy bulk online, singles at the B&M. Also, there's things that CCOM has that my B&M doesn't, so I come here to buy them. I get better deals on samplers and stuff here. That said, I can go into the B&M and pick up a good stick, maybe their house blend that I can only get there, and watch the game and shoot the breeze with the guys there. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, and I try my best to support both.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    ...also, often when I read a review here about some new stick that sounds good, point and click. Three days later my mail 'mam brings a little package with the cigars. Shopping in your underwear..How great is that.

Lassie, insert comment here. ( ................................................... ! )
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Guilt!!! There's no guilt in baseba... er, in cigars! I'll jump on with everyone else, buy in bulk here, individuals at your B & M.
  • ScottUScottU Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 194
    I buy 2-4 a week at the b&m but his start at $12 so that really sucks. I just ordered 58 from ccom within two days. Being a small business owner myself, I try to support others as much as possible, but I also understand competition and it's actually good for people.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I don't have a local B&M, the closest one to me is about 45 mins away. I enjoy going there and having a cigar or three, but it's just not feasible to go there frequently. If it were closer I'd go more often, but I'd still buy the bulk online...I can't afford to pay $8-$10 per cigar at a B&M for all of my cigars, and that is about the price they start at around here.
    j0z3r:
    I don't have a local B&M, the closest one to me is about 45 mins away. I enjoy going there and having a cigar or three, but it's just not feasible to go there frequently. If it were closer I'd go more often, but I'd still buy the bulk online...I can't afford to pay $8-$10 per cigar at a B&M for all of my cigars, and that is about the price they start at around here.
    The one I go to is roughly 30 minutes away, so I don't make out very often either. I was going a couple of times a week, but work got more hectic and money became tighter. I haven't been a good two months now.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    havanaal:
    I put in my first order to c.com today. I know most here will say it's about time, but I have been a big supporter of my local B&M. I love the place, and the owners are great. The prices are high, but mostly because of taxes, not their fault. I'm really torn over this. Small deal in the scheme of things I know. But principles are at stake here. Any thoughts from the regulars?

Dear Mr. havanaal ,
    The solution to your problem is actually quite simple. When your order arrives from CCOM you should take it to your nearest post office where you will without delay send by priority mail to my address (which i'm about to pm you). This way the offended cigar B&M gods will simply think you were doing a favor for a friend. I will help you thru this very tramatic and disturbing mental anguish you find yourself in because ...........THATS THE WAY I ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Your New Best Friend --- Gene
    gmill880:
    havanaal:

Dear Mr. havanaal ,
    The solution to your problem is actually quite simple. When your order arrives from CCOM you should take it to your nearest post office where you will without delay send by priority mail to my address (which i'm about to pm you). This way the offended cigar B&M gods will simply think you were doing a favor for a friend. I will help you thru this very tramatic and disturbing mental anguish you find yourself in because ...........THATS THE WAY I ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Your New Best Friend --- Gene
    Be sure to split it with me. Sharing with more than one can only help you get in with their good graces even more! Haha.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i wouldnt feel builty about buying from c.com and not the B&M. they are both very different animals. the B&M is more than a place to buy cigars. its a place for friends to gather and smoke together. cigar.com cannot offer that service.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    kuzi16:
    the B&M is more than a place to buy cigars. its a place for friends to gather and smoke together. cigar.com cannot offer that service.
    Can't offer those services..........yet.

word on the street is tim and jeff are working on a web chat video smoke cam. This way we can all talk and smoke and see each other. They are just waiting for lassy to leave the site so no one has to see his collection of blow up dolls and womens locker room spy cam monitors.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I have a great B&M about a ten minute walk from my apartment and I go there often but usually don't buy more than a couple cigars at a time. Also I have a list of cigars that I like but aren't in stock at my B&M so I can't just walk in and buy 'em. So it's for those and for my larger bulk orders that I use Ccom.
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    ironhorse:
    They are just waiting for lassy to leave the site so no one has to see his collection of blow up dolls and womens locker room spy cam monitors.

Wait Wait! I don't think lassy has to leave, think we should make a compromise. Lassy put the blow up dolls away, leave the womens locker room spy cam monitors up!
    ironhorse:
    kuzi16:
    the B&M is more than a place to buy cigars. its a place for friends to gather and smoke together. cigar.com cannot offer that service.

word on the street is tim and jeff are working on a web chat video smoke cam. This way we can all talk and smoke and see each other. They are just waiting for lassy to leave the site so no one has to see his collection of blow up dolls and womens locker room spy cam monitors.
    What kind of a person do you think I am? Those are not blow-up dolls, they are "Realdolls" (If you google Real Dolls know they are NSFW or anyone for that matter)

And they are not Locker room spy cams.... wait, yes they are
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    As ghey as it would be if Lassy showed up, it would be hilarious to have a "c.com Webcam herf." I don't own a webcam, so it would be a small problem, but I could consider getting one for such an event!
    TatuajeVI:
    As ghey as it would be if Lassy showed up, it would be hilarious to have a "c.com Webcam herf." I don't own a webcam, so it would be a small problem, but I could consider getting one for such an event!
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Oh, and to stay on topic, don't feel guilty your local B&M is Mormon, so that means ANTI-Monogamy!!!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Lasabar:
    ironhorse:
    kuzi16:

What kind of a person do you think I am? Those are not blow-up dolls, they are "Realdolls" (If you google Real Dolls know they are NSFW or anyone for that matter)

Lassy, You are a sick individual!!! When I grow up, I want to be just like you.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Additionally, my local has some cigars you can't get ANYWHERE online, and it has great events as well. You can't order "watching a ballgame with some friends" from CCOM (though it'd be funny to have Tim or Alex arrive in a box to watch football with you) so I usually go to my local place to just smoke and hang out.
    YankeeMan:
    Lasabar:
    ironhorse:
    kuzi16:

Lassy, You are a sick individual!!! When I grow up, I want to be just like you.
    How are you with Malt Liquor?