Home General Discussion

Black Mold?

estebansuarezestebansuarez Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi Cigar.com community

I am new to cigars and just purchased a new Yukon 40 count humidor and a sampler of 30 cigars about 3 weeks ago or so. I season the humidor as best as I could and placed a humidifier with distilled water inside,but I am guilty of opening the humidor a lot to check for the humidity level, which has been as high as 74% for an hour or so and as low as 63% for a couple of minutes, but mostly around 67-71%. Yesterday, I noticed small black dots in the humidor inside little lines or cracks and I do not remember if the humidor was that way before or not. The black dots are really small and mostly inside the little cracks in the wood. I do not know if it is black mold or not and I am worried. Everything smells great, but I read that opening the humidor causes drastic changes in humidity and that causes mold. I am attaching pictures and I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is mold or not and if so what can I do about it. Thank you all and have a great day.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag471/esteban_asc/DSCN2452_zps1752a214.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag471/esteban_asc/DSCN2455_zpsef94186d.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag471/esteban_asc/DSCN2450_zps65e0d1db.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag471/esteban_asc/DSCN2453_zps9cca635b.jpg

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    estebansuarez:
    Hi Cigar.com community I am new to cigars and just purchased a new Yukon 40 count humidor and a sampler of 30 cigars about 3 weeks ago or so. I season the humidor as best as I could and placed a humidifier with distilled water inside,but I am guilty of opening the humidor a lot to check for the humidity level, which has been as high as 74% for an hour or so and as low as 63% for a couple of minutes, but mostly around 67-71%. Yesterday, I noticed small black dots in the humidor inside little lines or cracks and I do not remember if the humidor was that way before or not. The black dots are really small and mostly inside the little cracks in the wood. I do not know if it is black mold or not and I am worried. Everything smells great, but I read that opening the humidor causes drastic changes in humidity and that causes mold. I am attaching pictures and I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is mold or not and if so what can I do about it. Thank you all and have a great day. imageimageimageimage
    Hi! Welcome.

I would not be worried. It looks like the wood grain to me. Also, a peak of 74% is not all that high. I have never heard that fluctuations Iin humidity can cause mold, id be weary of that advice. You are wise to be cautious, but I think youre all good. Its normal for a smaller humidor to fluctuate more. You may look into another type of humidification devive such as beads or gel. That way they can regulate humidity both ways and keep your rh more stable.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    estebansuarez:
    Hi Cigar.com community I am new to cigars and just purchased a new Yukon 40 count humidor and a sampler of 30 cigars about 3 weeks ago or so. I season the humidor as best as I could and placed a humidifier with distilled water inside,but I am guilty of opening the humidor a lot to check for the humidity level, which has been as high as 74% for an hour or so and as low as 63% for a couple of minutes, but mostly around 67-71%. Yesterday, I noticed small black dots in the humidor inside little lines or cracks and I do not remember if the humidor was that way before or not. The black dots are really small and mostly inside the little cracks in the wood. I do not know if it is black mold or not and I am worried. Everything smells great, but I read that opening the humidor causes drastic changes in humidity and that causes mold. I am attaching pictures and I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is mold or not and if so what can I do about it. Thank you all and have a great day.
    It looks normal to me. I'm guessing that it looked that way before but you weren't looking for mold at that point. I think what you see are normal patterns in the grain of laminated spanish cedar. I just looked at a couple of my desktop humidors mine and mine looks like yours.

Welcome to the ccom forum. We love to help out. If you have any concerns, feel free to ask more questions.
  • estebansuarezestebansuarez Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hi

Thank you for the quick response. A friend of mine told me it looked like wood grain too. Now I feel reassured. Will definitely buy the beads soon. Again thank you and have a great day.
    Thank you for the help. Really appreciate it. Have a great day.
    How do you like those san lotanos?
    Haven't tried them yet. I will try the maduro tomorrow.
    estebansuarez:
    Haven't tried them yet. I will try the maduro tomorrow.
    you should enjoy them, all of the SL's ive had have been great.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    FYI. Whenever I've seen mold on a cigar or in a Humi., it's been the white fluffy stuff. Not Black.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 184
    I have never seen mold in a humidor but i have seen a lot of it throughout my life and that doesn't look like mold. it just looks like the grains of the wood. you shouldn't be worried.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    i love the sl connys, waiting for a daily deal etc,,,,