Home General Discussion

Cabinet as a Humidor?

LuvMycigar.blogspot.comLuvMycigar.blogspot.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
I was looking at the storage cabinets at Ikea. There are made out of wood. Has anyone tried purchasing one of these or similar and lined it with Spanish cedar and used it as a large humidor? I am thinking of doing this and putting an Oasis I already have in there as a humidifier.

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    The biggest issue you are going to run into is how well the cabinet seals. I don't imagine it would have a very good seal, but if you are capable of modifying it, it could work. Waxingmoon and Cabinetmaket would be much better at answering this question.
  • brc81brc81 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 249
    What you might consider is finding a cabinet that will fit a coolerdor. The coolerdor is perfect for the cigars when setup correctly. Then if you can find a cabinet that will work or build one of your own the coolerdor is hidden inside the cabinet.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I would say no too..

IKEA is from Sweden, Swedes make horrible cigars, so that being said I'd assume they make crappy Humi's too!

In all seriousness the airtight seal is one problem and depending of the wood had an aroma that would be problem number two (even if you line it with Cedar, the two woods would Duke it out in there)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    I was looking at the storage cabinets at Ikea. There are made out of wood. Has anyone tried purchasing one of these or similar and lined it with Spanish cedar and used it as a large humidor? I am thinking of doing this and putting an Oasis I already have in there as a humidifier.
    Seal the inside with silicone caulk, let it dry for several days, then try lining it with the spanish cedar and see how it works. You might have to put a door seal around the opening to keep it tight. I've never modified one before, so this advice is just very general.
  • LuvMycigar.blogspot.comLuvMycigar.blogspot.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    Thanks for your input.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    Not sure if you've ever bought anything from IKEA, but my place is pretty much fully furnished from there, and I can assure you that their tolerances are very generous. You WILL have your work cut out for yourself if you want a tight seal.