Home General Discussion

A real nasty surprise.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
Been sitting on a box of GOOD cigars...I wanted them rested and I waited as long as I could. Picked one and put the rest back for a little more aging...figured I would smoke one every 2 to 3 months. Got my self an IPA and sat down to enjoy my little gem. Took off the wrapper and the cedar...it was covered in mold. Grabbed the rest and unwrapped them all....I was lucky, only 2 more showed signs of the mold and they were removed, and the rest went into a different box.

Now I know beyond any doubt they had never gone above 68-70 humidity and 70-74 in temperature while in my possession. When I took a closer look at the cedar wrappings a couple appear to have water stains and I have no idea how that could have happened. I'm glad I did not loose them all to mold. I am more curious then upset.

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Don't know why I opened this after reading the subject. Was expecting another bad pic from JD.

That sucks about the mold. At least you only lost a couple. I have seen threads about people removing the cedar in fear of mold. I have a couple in the humi, but they probably won't last long enough for mold. I will definitely remove it if I am looking to age anything though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Molds a B! Always romove the sleeves,coffins,tubes and keep at a low temp! If you really want too keep them with all the stuff I suggest removing it and letting the packaging get down too 60-62 rh and then wrapping it back up.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    rsherman24:
    Don't know why I opened this after reading the subject. Was expecting another bad pic from JD.

That sucks about the mold. At least you only lost a couple. I have seen threads about people removing the cedar in fear of mold. I have a couple in the humi, but they probably won't last long enough for mold. I will definitely remove it if I am looking to age anything though.

Ah so......you want a nasty picture you nasty boy..? I am always willing to oblige a fellow forum member.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Glad you caught it early.I always worry about storing cedar wrapped cigars.lucky you decided to fire one up huh? I try to rummage thru my humidors once a month to look for stuff like that,but I front always.although I'll probably look today.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I thought you were gonna tell us you found beetles or beetle larvae. That's my default response to "Nasty surprise" when speaking of cigars. If you weren't speaking of cigars I might assume you had the misfortune of meeting Piers Morgan in person.

Both mold and bugs are nasty surprises for sure. I've had a few beetle scares but no real mold to speak of. Glad for you that the mold wasn't any worse. Glad you didn't meet Piers Morgan.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Bob Luken:
    I thought you were gonna tell us you found beetles or beetle larvae. That's my default response to "Nasty surprise" when speaking of cigars. If you weren't speaking of cigars I might assume you had the misfortune of meeting Piers Morgan in person.

Both mold and bugs are nasty surprises for sure. I've had a few beetle scares but no real mold to speak of. Glad for you that the mold wasn't any worse. Glad you didn't meet Piers Morgan.

Oh I don't know......don't you think that little cockroach should have a black eye when he is deported..? A couple of broken ribs....on crutches....so on and so on