Home General Discussion

2 Hygometers are better then 1....

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
...at least for me.

Still fooling around with hygrometer experiments and my latest suggests that 2 and the mean reading between them, works best for me.

I am sure that a lot of this is just common sense and not news to most of you.

Putting a meter near the humidifier is a no no. If I place 3 meters in three different locations in the humidor I get 3 different readings. My humidor has a pull out shelf on the top and putting a meter on the top will give a different reading then one in the bottom. Adding cigars to a seasoned humidor will change the reading.

So, if I am going to keep the top shelf in the box (I may take it out) I will use 2 meters. Even if I take it out I will use 2 meters as far apart as possible and as far from the humidifier as possible.

What I really need is a little itty bitty battery operated fan.

Like I said this is just me fooling around (too much time on my hands) and ain't news to most of you.

Comments

• New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    It may not be news, but it is great insight. Not everyone is going to think of the fact that w/o air movement, you're not going to be the exact same all around.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    New Boots:
    It may not be news, but it is great insight. Not everyone is going to think of the fact that w/o air movement, you're not going to be the exact same all around.

Your a very intelligent person... :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    jd50ae:
    ...at least for me.

You might look for what I believe are called "muffin fans" from old computers. They run on 12 or 13 volt DC and are ideal when hooked to a transformer and a plug-in timer like I have in my coolidor. If you can't find one or two let me know. I may have one left over.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    jlmarta:
    jd50ae:
    ...at least for me.

You might look for what I believe are called "muffin fans" from old computers. They run on 12 or 13 volt DC and are ideal when hooked to a transformer and a plug-in timer like I have in my coolidor. If you can't find one or two let me know. I may have one left over.

fans are great! You can run them off USB ports and timers but yeah I use two hygros anyways
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Those "Oust" fans that ran every 15 min were great for this sort of thing. 15 min interval between running for a few minutes and battery operated. Sadly, they're discontinued, but you may be able to find some on ebay.

For those more electrically inclined, you can rig up a 12 VDC fan to a RC circuit with a timer chip and emulate it.