Home General Discussion

cabinet humidors

Gino101Gino101 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
I am looking forward to getting a cabinet humidor and am torn about humidification devices. Is it safe to use Gel inside the hydra lg model? or us the Hydra along with beadsHF for the other areas of the humidor? Please help.
Thanks

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Gino101:
    I am looking forward to getting a cabinet humidor and am torn about humidification devices. Is it safe to use Gel inside the hydra lg model? or us the Hydra along with beadsHF for the other areas of the humidor? Please help. Thanks
    why would you put gel in it?? But id put it in and use beads as well not together
  • Gino101Gino101 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
    Thanks I have read the green foam is not good to use that gel or beads are better. Even cat litter?
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    I gutted the foam out of my Hydra and put crystals in it.
    Works tons better and no worry about mold.
    what kind of crystals do you put in? I read about hf beads and they can`t get totally wet? Thanks
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Gino101:
    what kind of crystals do you put in? I read about hf beads and they can`t get totally wet? Thanks
    The HF beads aren't supposed to get totally wet, not because it will hurt the beads, but they won't be able to regulate humidity two ways. If they are too wet or "overcharged" they just won't be able to soak up excess humidity and will likely cause your rh to spike.
    ok thanks so did you use HF beads in your hydra? What do you recommend?
    Gino101:
    I use the kitty litter crystals.
    Look for catfishes KL crystal thread.
    You can cut the green foam out of it with a knife through the fill hole. It takes a little while, but it will all come out. Make sure you clean it real well after you get it all out.

I didn't use the beads, because they aren't really designed for a humidifier like that, according to everything I've read.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    The plastic humidifiers I had with foam snap apart and back together. Is the KL large enough not to fall thru the slots?
    ckrddsmke:
    The plastic humidifiers I had with foam snap apart and back together. Is the KL large enough not to fall thru the slots?
    No. You'd have to put something like cheescloth or coffee filter in to keep it in place.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    my suggestion is go with an active humidity system and have beads / kitty litter to stabilize. I do that to my cabinet humidor and it stays put at 63 - 65 rh
    ok thanks for the info. I now have a very good idea on what path to follow. Thanks again! I did check out Catfish that was great. Thanks to you all again!