Home General Discussion

I am half asleep but...

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
...this does not make sense but I know it does somehow but it doesn't at all. Small humidor and I have been seasoning it by every method known to man. It won't go above 60, not even a smidgen. I needed to put some cigars in it while I re-arranged the 2 humidors I actually use (smoking and resting/aging) and about an hour later I went to retrieve the cigars from it and the humidity level was at 80. Now I know for a fact (before anyone asks) that the 2 other humidors have been at 68-70 for months. I was going to tape the seal points on the small box (worked great on a big box) but I don't think it would change a darn thing. It does not make any sense at all but somehow I know it does. A little bit sick, got up very late, head is very fuzzy and I am going to have my first coffee and cigar now. After I have done that and I am awake I will probably come back to this post and answer my own question.

Comments

• StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    Could the hygrometer be on the fritz?
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    ...not 3 of them...
    I reckon not......
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    How's it going now. Any good news?
    Bob Luken:
    Yea, I have a new trinket box.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:
    Yea, I have a new trinket box.
    That sucks. Always need a box for accessories though. Cutters, lighters, bands, etc.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Could always use for dry boxing....
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    so it wont hold humidity by itself...

but you add sticks and now it holds the percentage?

sounds like the wood is either super super dry and absorbing every drop of moisture or its not sealed properly behind the cedar.

try placing the whole thing in a bag to see if it levels off. lets start troubleshooting this turkey! I dont believe there is a humi in the world that cant be saved.

Aj
    oopsies....wrong thread.
    dr_frankenstein56:
    so it wont hold humidity by itself...

but you add sticks and now it holds the percentage?

sounds like the wood is either super super dry and absorbing every drop of moisture or its not sealed properly behind the cedar.

try placing the whole thing in a bag to see if it levels off. lets start troubleshooting this turkey! I dont believe there is a humi in the world that cant be saved.

Aj

After re-re-tightening the screws and putting tape on all the cedar that is supposed to touch I am now getting a different reading. Time to re-season and see if that fixes it completely. This will be the 2nd box that I have had to use tape on the "sure-seal" to fix a humidity problem.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I think this is normal.... When you put cigars in a humidor it helps regulate the humidity. The more cigars in a humidor the better the humidity. My humidity fluctuates only when it's starting to fun low on smokes.
    OK....It turned out to be the back of the box where the hinges are. Re-re-tightening the screws did not help at all. But one piece of tape placed over the screws from side to side did the trick. It has read a very stable 74 for 14 hours and I now feel safe about getting it down to 68-70 and putting cigars in it. It will make a nice little aging box. Since I smoke em if I got em I will have my wife hide it from me for at least 3 months.

I guess the hinges could be sprung some since the box has always been dependable prior to this.
    Glad you got it figured out!