Home General Discussion

New "Make your own" in this magazine issue

roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
I got the new issue today and in it is a new option to make your own blend. I think that this is an awesome idea.
I know that it says to call a rep, but is there any more info on the site, I could not find any?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    is this going through Gran Habano's factory?

its an interesting concept. $250 for the first box. reorder same blend $200...

thats Avo and Davidoff money. ill leave it up to the professionals unless i can get a better deal or opportunity.

however, i have blended my own cigars in the past and given that i have done this it kind of takes away some of the novelty. the experience and learning opportunity may actually make it worth it.
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    Being new myself, I was curious what others would think of this. I kind of expected rave reviews. Personally, I think it would be beneficial to just be able to try the puritos and get a sense of flavor components individually.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    ejgorman:
    Being new myself, I was curious what others would think of this. I kind of expected rave reviews. Personally, I think it would be beneficial to just be able to try the puritos and get a sense of flavor components individually.
    Yeah, that was the most appealing aspect of it. Maybe they can sell the puritos with no blending commitment? Otherwise the $ prices me out. It would be a one-time thing unless I happened to get really lucky on the blend. You're limited in what tobacco you choose from, and I'd have to think the blends are therefore quite limited. This is probably done intentionally to keep the cost to a somewhat manageable range for an "experience".
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Martel:
    ejgorman:
    Yeah, that was the most appealing aspect of it. Maybe they can sell the puritos with no blending commitment? Otherwise the $ prices me out. It would be a one-time thing unless I happened to get really lucky on the blend. You're limited in what tobacco you choose from, and I'd have to think the blends are therefore quite limited. This is probably done intentionally to keep the cost to a somewhat manageable range for an "experience".
    thats true but in reality, no factory has EVERY tobacco.
    even those who grow are limited.

and you got the cost thing spot on. i mean, would you want to place your prized tobacco out in the open with a set price just so a bunch of people who know just about nothing can blend cigars that wouldnt make it on the market? im not sure i would.
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Well I am the one in charge of the project for right now so I can answer any questions for you guys. I'm no expert blender but mine came out awesome and the whole process is pretty simple. Yea it's $10 a stick but you can make a blend exactly the way you want it which is other wise impossible sure you can find something that you may be close to what your lookin for but this is dead on. Atleast for me the blend I made is the best thing I ever smoked maybe I'm partial since it's sort of my baby but I'm sure if any of you guys do this project you'll probably feel the same way. Now we don't have enough of the kits in so you can just purchase them but once we do I will let you all know.
  • customblends@cigar.comcustomblends@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1

Just to give you guys some more information...

The blends are made at G.R. Tabacaleras Co. in Miami. It is a new factory on 8th Street "Calle Ocho" that was opened just over a year ago by George Rico the owner of Gran Habano. The only cigars made there now are George Rico American Puro and Barracuda. The standard production Gran Habano blends such as #1 Connecticut, #3 Habano, and #5 Corojo are made at thier original factory in Honduras. George refers to this new factory in Miami as G.A.R. Deli because he started it with the concept of creating a deli type enviorment where you can walk in off the street and order a cigar exactly to your liking. Only issue was you needed to be in Miami to try this, we partnered up to bring this to the whole country. Currently we have a menu of 17 types of tobacco and they are all very good, and we plan to add more and remove in future as inventory permits. Since all the cigars he is selling out of the factory are in the $10 range he can afford to buy the best tobacco and pick up smaller lots of unique leaves that would never make it to standard production. We are very excited about offering this service and we believe we are the first to do so. Obvisously, at this price it's not going to be an everyday cigar, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the process is extremely fun and rewarding. On top of that, the cigars are excellent in construction and materials, flavor-wise, well that is up to you quite literally. As you smoke through each tobacco you'll start to pick up flavors you've tasted before, and also some you haven't. I'm sure I've missed answering some questions, but please email us at customblends@cigar.com if you are looking for specifc info. We already backordered some of our kits and we think this will be quite popular. If you want to do it, now would be the time.

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    This is highly intriguing; thanks Andrew and "customblends" (Andrew, is that you?)

I did want to try those two new blends, but anything Gran Habano is following on the heels of my most recent review of the #5 Imperial...

In all, this sounds like a really cool project. Another great offering from ccom, just one I'll have to save up to try. Can you stop sending me great deals on stuff I want more than this? No...wait, don't do that.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Is there a link to get in this program? This sounds so cool, and a great marketing tool.... Personal cigars for your customers? they would come back on that alone!

Aj