Home General Discussion

Changing on box press.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
I also posted this in "what are you smoking this morning" but it covers 2 things and I figured what the heck.

I was looking for some cigars for a trade with an upstanding member and decided I would rotate the crops in my 5 Vegas humidor. I found a slew, a slew I tell you of the smaller box pressed 5 Vegas Cask Strength and I am smoking one now. I think I have done a 360 on box pressed, I can only remember one that gave me any problems and that is a better record then anything else I smoke, so there.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    I love a good box-pressed cigar. That 5V cask is a good smoke, JD. If you can resist temptation, save a couple and let them age for a year+. You won't be disappointed with the results :-)

Best part about a box press though IMO is they won't "roll away" if you set them down...
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Hey jd,

Bro what does box pressed mean?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    A boxed-press cigar "lacks the classic “cylinder” shape. Box pressed cigars have “squared” sides of varying degrees."

There's a decent article, and neat video about it on CA :
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/The-Art-of-Box-Pressing
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Do you even box press, bro?
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    I wasn't a big fan at first ,felt weird in my mouth.but the more I tried I started to like them.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    twistedstem:
    I wasn't a big fan at first ,felt weird in my mouth.but the more I tried I started to like them.
    Uh, we talkin' cigars still? Right?
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Bob Luken:
    twistedstem:
    What else could I possible......uuhhmmm ....OK I just reread it....yeah totally cigars...talking about cigars!!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Rain:
    Do you even box press, bro?
    I can box press about 225 - 250.

I love box pressed cigars. I just think they look cool and it's fun to smoke a square.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    twistedstem:
    Bob Luken:
    twistedstem:
    What else could I possible......uuhhmmm ....OK I just reread it....yeah totally cigars...talking about cigars!!
    You know what else felt totally weird in my mouth? The first time I... oh wait.. we're back on cigars... nevermind.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I like a slight box press like the Padron but can't stand the sharp edges on the Oliva G.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    WaltBasil:
    twistedstem:
    Bob Luken:
    twistedstem:
    You know what else felt totally weird in my mouth? The first time I... oh wait.. we're back on cigars... nevermind.
    Who's wife was it, that was asking if we were all 12? I believe, gentlemen, that this is why.

PS: I'm dying over here!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    twistedstem:
    Bob Luken:
    twistedstem:
    Ok then. If you say so. ROFL!!
    Well done Bob!!

Ok, back on track.
    The 5 Vegas Cask Strength is one of the few box pressed I really enjoy.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    This thread has made me feel dirty. I love the box pressed Cask Strength. I feel weird now. Gonna take a shower. Ewwww
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    twistedstem:

Yea I think that had something to do with it but the more I smoked a box press the more I got use to it and finally I like them.

And I have only smoked 1 that had a bad draw.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    The 5 Vegas Cask Strength is the only 5V I've ever smoked that I liked and that only one I'd consider buying.

As for other box-pressed, I really like the San Latano Oval. Technically it's not a box press since it isn't "square," but it's made with the same idea--to maximize the flow through the cigar like a box press.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I really like a nice box pressed smoke! I think mainly because most of my favorites are box pressed
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Try the AB Presnado if you like a good box press.

Aj