Home General Discussion

I know draw is important, very important.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
To me it is at least 50% of whether I like the smoke or not.

What percentage do you give for draw..?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Yeah, I'd go along with that. I don't want the draw to be like sucking air through a straw but I also don't want it to be tight enough to give me a hernia, either.

then, add the right body and a great flavor and I'll be a happy camper....
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    It's definitely a big factor for me too, JD. Nothing worse than a cigar that makes you work for every puff. I suppose you could argue that a dog rocket with a plugged draw is actually a blessing in disguise, but I probably consider a nice even draw about 50-60% of my rating scale as well.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Fighting a bad draw just adds frustration to trying to enjoy a good cigar.
    I don't smoke for frustration. So yeah, draw would be right up there in whether I enjoy the cigar or not.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    The reason I ask, is because there are some really good smokes out there that don't ever draw real easy. They are not "really bad" draws, but it is noticeable from a nice easy draw that allows a a smoker to really enjoy all the nuances of a particular cigar. I have wondered if some manufacturers purposely do this to force us to slow down when you smoke one of their cigars.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    jd50ae:
    The reason I ask, is because there are some really good smokes out there that don't ever draw real easy. They are not "really bad" draws, but it is noticeable from a nice easy draw that allows a a smoker to really enjoy all the nuances of a particular cigar. I have wondered if some manufacturers purposely do this to force us to slow down when you smoke one of their cigars.
    When ever I cut a cigar, I check the draw.
    If it's tight, it definitely makes a difference on whether or not I will enjoy it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Also, if you have a tight draw the cigar will not burn well. This usually ruins the flavor. I hate a tight draw more than anything. More times than not, it's a humidity issue.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Draw is huge to me as well. I have noticed that age plays a big factor in that. Some cigars have nice, easy draws straight from the B&M, but for those that have a little more resistance than you like, let them sit for 4-6 months and go back and try them again. I have found the same thing to be true with burn on many sticks. Aging does affects more than just the flavor.
    Gray4lines:
    Also, if you have a tight draw the cigar will not burn well. This usually ruins the flavor. I hate a tight draw more than anything. More times than not, it's a humidity issue.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with humidity. The same cigar bought at the same time and kept in the same humidor with others bought at the same time.

I agree, humidity can cause draw problems and I have let some cigars age as you have suggested. But this is more of a manufacturing problem. Not really a red in the face oxygen sucking totally bad draw but just not as easy as I would like.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Speaking of draw, I conducted a little experiment with two conny cigars of the same blend today. I lit a Ramon Bueso Odysey torpedo that I got in a pass several months ago. I had kept this one in a small desktop. I wasn't loving the flavor or the draw. I kept clipping off more and more of the tip in an attempt to gain a better draw. Then I decided to grab another Ramon Bueso Odysey. But this time a robusto from a box of them in my cooler that I've rested about ten months. The robusto was a much better draw. Seemed by weight to be lighter (maybe it was packed less dense). And it produced a better flavor than the torpedo. Was the better draw responsible for the improved flavor? Can't say for sure as they were stored in different humis and the age of the torp is unknown. So there could be several factors at play to create the better draw and flavor but the second one was certainly more enjoyable.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I puff rather lightly so draw isn't much of a issue but I have had some badly plugged ones I just chuck
    Bob Luken:
    Speaking of draw, I conducted a little experiment with two conny cigars of the same blend today. I lit a Ramon Bueso Odysey torpedo that I got in a pass several months ago. I had kept this one in a small desktop. I wasn't loving the flavor or the draw. I kept clipping off more and more of the tip in an attempt to gain a better draw. Then I decided to grab another Ramon Bueso Odysey. But this time a robusto from a box of them in my cooler that I've rested about ten months. The robusto was a much better draw. Seemed by weight to be lighter (maybe it was packed less dense). And it produced a better flavor than the torpedo. Was the better draw responsible for the improved flavor? Can't say for sure as they were stored in different humis and the age of the torp is unknown. So there could be several factors at play to create the better draw and flavor but the second one was certainly more enjoyable.

Have had the same experience and it is one big reason I do my best to let every cigar rest/age for at least 3 months.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I've had a few CAO Sopranos and every one of them had a very tight draw. I'm on the lookout for a draw poker tool because I really enjoyed the flavor of the Sopranos but I can't enjoy them as much with the tight draw. I'm gonna work on opening up the draw up before I light another Soprano.
    Bob Luken:
    I've had a few CAO Sopranos and every one of them had a very tight draw. I'm on the lookout for a draw poker tool because I really enjoyed the flavor of the Sopranos but I can't enjoy them as much with the tight draw. I'm gonna work on opening up the draw up before I light another Soprano.

That is what I mean. There are cigars that are manufactured tight and I am at a complete loss as to why.
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:

That is what I mean. There are cigars that are manufactured tight and I am at a complete loss as to why.
    I saw a draw poker tool at my B&M the other day and almost picked it up. The fact that they market such a device tells me that your assumption is true, JD... that there are cigars that are just rolled with a tight draw.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Puff_Dougie:
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:

I saw a draw poker tool at my B&M the other day and almost picked it up. The fact that they market such a device tells me that your assumption is true, JD... that there are cigars that are just rolled with a tight draw.
    Draw poker is the best investment you will ever make. If it saves one cigar ( it will) it's totally worth it. Look up " havana saver"
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    If you don't want to spring for a draw poker, a straightened large paper clip works, as does a thin ice pick. But yes, it is definitely an invaluable tool in a cigar smoker's kit.
    allsmokedup:
    If you don't want to spring for a draw poker, a straightened large paper clip works, as does a thin ice pick. But yes, it is definitely an invaluable tool in a cigar smoker's kit.
    I've also used a miniature Phillips screw driver (the kind you use on eyeglasses), but having a tool made specifically for cigars makes sense.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Puff_Dougie:
    allsmokedup:
    I've also used a miniature Phillips screw driver (the kind you use on eyeglasses), but having a tool made specifically for cigars makes sense.

I use a length of the thinnest diameter coat-hanger wire I could find. The trick, however, is an adaptation of the old carpenter's trick of blunting the point on it. A tapered point like an ice pick will actually help split the stogie whereas a square-cut end will not. Ask any long-time cabinetmaker if you don't believe me..... It works like a charm.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    jlmarta:
    Puff_Dougie:
    allsmokedup:

I use a length of the thinnest diameter coat-hanger wire I could find. The trick, however, is an adaptation of the old carpenter's trick of blunting the point on it. A tapered point like an ice pick will actually help split the stogie whereas a square-cut end will not. Ask any long-time cabinetmaker if you don't believe me..... It works like a charm.
    My son smokes pipes I use his pipe tool poker works great.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    allsmokedup:
    There are some very good draw tools on the market and I have about 4 of them. The best one has crochet like hooks on the rod that will latch onto the offending plug and you can pull it out and then you can smoke with impunity...there should never be a reason to throw away a cigar because of a plug...they can be fixed. Plugs aren't necessarily caused by manufacturers...a lot of times it's because of storage and RH that is too high/wet.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    jd50ae:
    To me it is at least 50% of whether I like the smoke or not.

What percentage do you give for draw..?
    I've never used a draw tool, but I have set aside cigars because of draw. I'm not going to say that it's 100% of my enjoyment, but it can be 100% of the reason I stop smoking a cigar. In other words, it can ruin it 100% on its own.

If draw isn't ideal-it can be too easy or too hard-then it can lessen my enjoyment some. How much depends on the how bad it is. Too hard is more noticeable, but too easy causes the stick to burn too fast and has a more adverse effect on flavor.

But, if draw is perfect, I may still hate the cigar for flavor or construction. I had this happen just last night with some unknown vitola and blend of a brand that gets enough bad press so I won't mention it here (but it rhymes with urkah). Flavor put it on that goat page from R&R threads, then it fell apart and started to unwrap. I had it happen over the weekend with a Montecristo Classic; it was just a forgettable smoke. Both had great draws.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    If the draw is too tight or too loose then i can't focus on the flavors of the cigar. When it's too tight i have to constantly keep relighting it. When it's too loose it gets too hot and becomes very harsh. I prefer when the cigar is about 65%? It's really easy too take a pull off it but it still requires a little effort?
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    It's probably a mental thing for me but once I start correcting a cigar with a poker, I rarely enjoy what I end up with. Unless it's a very special cigar I'll generally accept that it's NG and I'll grab a new one from the humi.