Home General Discussion

Cigar Lighting Preference

curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
Ok, so I was thinking of all the difference ways to light cigars. I have two ways that I use on a consistent bases. Most of the time I just grab the torch lighter, toast and light. Second, if I really have the time and want go full experience I go for a cedar spill. Sometimes it takes me 2, but the flavor of the cigar is more pronounced in my opinion by lighting this way.

What is your lighting preference?

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I like fire. It works great.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jsnake:
    I like fire. It works great.
    +1 - best choice.
    I tried water once....didn't work too well. The cigar just got all mushy.
    :-)

Never tried a cedar spill.
    Almost out of matches, need to restock those soon.
    Would love to get a soft flame lighter in the future (probably Xikar)

But I prefer matches if there's no wind.....
    Single torch flame otherwise. My Bugatti's been on the fritz the past few times (I think it needs purged and some new butane) so I've been putting my 2 Lotuses to good use.

Ok, on a serious note I have to look up this cedar spill method. Never heard of it.

I have torches from single to quad flame and use them all by toasting first. My go to lighter is a dual flame torch. I prefer matches and a soft flame but I always run out and sometimes it isn't practical.

I have a XIKAR pipe lighter that is soft flame and perfect for pipes. Includes all the tools you need as well. I might try that soft flame sometime on a cigar to see how that is.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    For smaller rg's I like soft flame larger rg's torch
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    I had to youtube the cedar spill method. Interesting. I may have to find some of these.
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Yep curtiscr79,

You had me saying WTH is that all about!! I cant be the only one!!!

So for all of us who didn't know, Take a look!!!

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Best way for me, a Bic lighter... Low and slow for the perfect toast. I use cedar spills all the time as well. I make them with cedar inserts.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    First, I give you the "Breaking Bad Wrapper Char" technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeWAZTgYdw Any tips?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Rain:
    First, I give you the "Breaking Bad Wrapper Char" technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeWAZTgYdw Any tips?
    she smokes too fast lol
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    flowbee:
    Yep curtiscr79,

You had me saying WTH is that all about!! I cant be the only one!!!

So for all of us who didn't know, Take a look!!!

I figured a lot of people wouldn't know what I was talking about, thanks for post the video explaining it.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I was looking at a wooden coffee stir stick one time and I was wondering to myself "Hey, wonder if they are made of the same wood as wooden matches?" I did a quick online search an birch seems to be the normal type of wood for stir sticks. So, is birch an acceptable wood to be lighting our precious cigars or not? What wood is used for matches? I did a search online for that too but no definitive answers. I know that some matches are made of cedar specifically for cigars and pipes but what about the common wooden match?
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Bob Luken:
    What wood is used for matches? I did a search online for that too but no definitive answers. I know that some matches are made of cedar specifically for cigars and pipes but what about the common wooden match?
    Poplar
    Anybody willing to try this trick?
    Bob Luken:
    Interesting. I might be willing to give this a try next time I have a cigar with the cedar sleeve on it.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Bob Luken:
    Tried it once; I've seen it recommended in other places and other videos, but it didn't work so neatly for me. The cedar burned too quickly and didn't toast or light the end very well. Probably depends on the wrap...and I bet he's practiced a lot.
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    Those outtakes are hilarious!
  • StubbleStubble Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    Those outtakes are hilarious!
    To answer Curtis' question, my favorite method is to toast the foot slowly and light it gently. Scorching the foot can have a negative effect on flavor IMHO. So I usually toast & then get the foot glowing before I cut the head. (The only drawback to cutting after toasting/lighting would be discovering a tight draw. The advantage, in theory, is that no smoke chimneys up through the cigar with a chance to draw any flavors from the lighting process inside.) I usually do all my smoking outdoors so toasting is a challenge. Either I get lucky and the wind is calm. (rarely ) Or I break out a jet flame lighter and do the dance around the foot while trying not to scorch it. Also if it's not too breezy, I've got a great tabletop lighter that I can turn the flame down low and that helps. It's the Alec Bradley "The Burner" and I heartily recommend it. It's not a jet flame. It's not exactly a soft flame either. It's more like a camp stove in miniature scale. I can block the wind with one hand and hold the foot out of the flame but directly above the heat with my other hand. I try not to let the flame up the outside and scorch the wrapper. I get the foot glowing. I and then I clip it. Never had too much experience with matches or spills but I'd try that if the burner wasn't around.

This may seem like way too much trouble but I'm convinced that harsh flavors are avoided and I often wonder if the quest for stronger flavors among BOTLs is in some small way an unintended effort to overpower harsh flavors produced by unknowingly scorching/overheating the foot during the lighting process.
    catfishbluezz:
    Best way for me, a Bic lighter... Low and slow for the perfect toast. I use cedar spills all the time as well. I make them with cedar inserts.
    I've always been told that Bic's are a "no-no" because the type of fuel they use can taint the cigar....is that not true?
    Are Bic's ok?
    If so, I might have to try one for a cheap "soft-flame" solution.....
    I've heard that the fuel is not as pure as what we normally use in our fancy lighters, but I've also heard that it isn't impure enough to matter. I think the purity of the fuel helps the high-end lighters function better and the fuel in bics are not really "dirty", just not up to high-end lighter performance standards. I don't believe they are bad to use. I usually keep one handy.
  • gogoivan73@gmail.comgogoivan73@gmail.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    I think the fuel is concern only if you pull from the cigar when you light. In the winter I use pine spill and in the other time a regular lighter.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    I've always been told that Bic's are a "no-no" because the type of fuel they use can taint the cigar....is that not true?
    Are Bic's ok?
    If so, I might have to try one for a cheap "soft-flame" solution.....
    Bic's use butane, so they're fine. It's Zippo you don't want to use.

The problem with a Bic is that if you toast it properly, you're probably going to scorch your thumb...at least if you have a big freaking nintendo/hitchhiker thumb like me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Xikar Soft flame lighter.
    Thanks for the info guys...I learn something new every day here.

'll have to dig further and read up on types of lighters/fuels. I always thought the compressed butane cans were the "only" way to go for cigars. Guess there's other decent options out there too...