Home General Discussion

Tobacciana

flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
Do any of you guys have Cigar or tabacco related collections? Just curious as some of the old box labels look really cool to me!!

Comments

• ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    Im an older guy so I managed to accumulate some older stuff. Not really a collection. Interestingly the original baseball trading cards were tobacco related they came with cigarette packs. The most valuable being the Honus Wagner which was for the American Tobacco Co. Apparently Wagner was against the smoking message it sent so not many were produced. Last one sold for over 2 mil. Now that is a serious collection. (Wonder if that guy smokes the Daniel Marshall 24 KT) Those early tobacco cards are the most expensive of the tobacco collectibles. I'm in the old stuff business and occasional run across old pre WWII boxes, you are right some of the art work is pretty cool. Some old advertising, boxes and bands come up on the well known e auction. There is a whole category of tobacco collectibles so there must be a lot of collectors.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Here's just one of many 'cigar art' sites. It happens to be an auction site and the auction is currently closed but you can still wander around the site and see some fantastic old label art. And you can google lots of other sites..... :

http://www.cigarlabelart.com
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have a few old pipe tobacco tins but I really like the German pipe tobacco jars. Not a huge collection but I keep an eye out. My wife actually found my first piece for me at a local flea market near our house. I don't have patience to look at every little piece but she has a good eye.
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Yeah sometimes I miss the small Items while looking around, I have a few older tobacco cards somewhere. If I find them ill post a pic of them.