Home General Discussion

wineador question

honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
So I have an opportunity to get two brand new 18 bottle capacity wine fridges
model #'s ....WC-1857DH
for $80 each from a friend that runs the local home depot's contractors desk here, that I go to a lot. he said I could have first dibs on em, they ordered for a customer that pulled out of the order after they came in and don't want to stock them
and was wondering what you all thought about for me to make a wineador for my wife and I to each have one (would need separate ones cause she smokes flavored/infused & don't want to mix)
also seen online where I can get custom Spanish cedar shelves/drawers made for it - fairly cheap
(might have to wait a few months for the $ to get the cedar though)

wondering if I should pull the trigger on these ??
thanks up front for any advice/info about this

Comments

• New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I'm only at the cooler stage...not the wineador stage. But for that price...jump. Let the vets make sure it's all proper and stuff...but I say bite.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Find out if they are compressor cooled, you don't want them if so.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    Copied and pasted from the HD web site...

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
    Equipped with the newest thermoelectric heating technology, should the ambient temperature fall below set temperature, unit will heat to maintain your set temperature. Dual-zone offers two independent temperatures settings. Fits up to 18 standard bottles with 6 bottles on top and 12 bottles on the bottom. Double pane insulated glass door. Stylish design will compliment any kitchen or entertainment area. Simple to use digital controls with LED display. Thermoelectric technology (no compressor) offers a quiet operation with no vibration. Adjustable temperature between 44 to 64°F.

ThermoElectric cooling system (no compressor)
    18 standard bottles (6 and 12) / 58L capacity
    Digital controls with LED temperature display
    Environment friendly (refrigerant free)
    Quiet operation
    No vibration (bottle sediment is not disturbed)
    5 slide-out shelves
    Double pane insulated glass doo r
    Soft interior light
    Front leveling leg
    Adjustable temperature range: 44 64 degree Fahrenheit
    Freestanding application
    ETL certified
    Approx. 13-1/2"W x 20-1/4"D (without handle) x 29-1/3"H
    This item does not qualify for the Major Appliance Delivery & Haul Away or Installation Services

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    correct cooling system
    right part of the country
    id jump on it if i also had the cash.
    Now all you need is 8lbs of kitty litter, two USPS tyvek envelopes, and you are set my friend. Empty boxes work too for storage.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I would jump on both of those but the next question you should ask the BOTL gang is this, - "Should I really dedicate a winedor to my wife's infused cigars?"
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Heck yes! I'd do anything to get or keep my wife involved with cigars. What's good for momma is really good for daddy!
    kuzi16:
    right part of the country
    Where would the wrong part of the country be? I'm guessing you meant something about the need for wineador based on local climate.
    Rain:
    Heck yes! I'd do anything to get or keep my wife involved with cigars. What's good for momma is really good for daddy!
    Good point, (Very, very good point) but I just never heard of anybody using a wineador with infused sticks. To me it seems like a "slingshot stored in a steel gun cabinet" kinda situation.
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:
    Good point, (Very, very good point) but I just never heard of anybody using a wineador with infused sticks. To me it seems like a "slingshot stored in a steel gun cabinet" kinda situation.
    Rgr Rgr with rain there, AND though I know I'm going to open myself up to crap here :P
    I also enjoy a flavored once in a while, so this way I can steel one from her wineador when ever I want :D
    honorknight7:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:
    Rgr Rgr with rain there, AND though I know I'm going to open myself up to crap here :P
    I also enjoy a flavored once in a while, so this way I can steel one from her wineador when ever I want :D
    Oh, I know. I understand, and I'm just joking around and I might like them too if I ever got around to trying them but I wonder if there's maybe a good reason not to put them in a wineador. Are you supposed to age infused cigars? Seems like I read that aging them is a waste because the flavors fade away and that they should be smoked sooner rather than later.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I ran two vinotemps. I ended up selling them to a member of these here forums after I widdled my stock down.
    Mine were also split chambered as that appears to be. Just know that even though there is some air transfer between the chambers you will need two separate humidification devices. I had cigar oasis in the bottom and beads in the top. A LOT OF BEADS.

Just my experience here, he wineadors did exactly what I needed them to do which was keep the temp down but they were definitely more work to maintain than the plain old humidors or coolers ever were.
    Hmm don't know about aging flavored or not, never thought about that to be honest, the only reason I'm getting her one also is whenever I order cigars for me
    I BETTER have some for here in the box as well (she told me that if I ever get cigars delivered and there's none in the box for her she was going to send them "ALL" out as bombs lol)
    and when I told her i was going to get a wineador going for myself, she said then she gets one too, especially when she found out that the HD here has two of em offered to me
    madurofan:
    I ran two vinotemps. I ended up selling them to a member of these here forums after I widdled my stock down.
    Mine were also split chambered as that appears to be. Just know that even though there is some air transfer between the chambers you will need two separate humidification devices. I had cigar oasis in the bottom and beads in the top. A LOT OF BEADS.

Just my experience here, he wineadors did exactly what I needed them to do which was keep the temp down but they were definitely more work to maintain than the plain old humidors or coolers ever were.
    planning on heartfelt beads (65) on the bottom and a few of there tubes filled with them as well on a few upper racks and a few little 80mm fans set up in the bottom to help with circulation
    I believe mine were 12 bottle vinotemps, I BELIEVE. But I know I ended up having the cigar oasis on the bottom of each AND 1 lb of 70% beads on the top and that would keep about 67% throughout.
    Seriously... Mine was all over the place at first, until I placed a tyvek bag with about 4lbs of KL in it. I haven't worried about stability, rh, or anything for that matter since the day I put it in... All it takes is one bag, which is relatively skinny, and has a ton of surface area. Save the money you want to spend on rh and buy a nice cigar...
    honorknight7:
    Hmm don't know about aging flavored or not, never thought about that to be honest, the only reason I'm getting her one also is whenever I order cigars for me
    I BETTER have some for here in the box as well (she told me that if I ever get cigars delivered and there's none in the box for her she was going to send them "ALL" out as bombs lol)
    and when I told her i was going to get a wineador going for myself, she said then she gets one too, especially when she found out that the HD here has two of em offered to me
    I envy your situation. Most BOTLs are getting cigar opposition from their wife/gf but you really got it made buddy.
    the reason for the beads over KL is I already have a 2.5 Lbs of the beads I bought right after Christmas, but if I notice any trouble with em I will for sure try out the KL
    honorknight7:
    the reason for the beads over KL is I already have a 2.5 Lbs of the beads I bought right after Christmas, but if I notice any trouble with em I will for sure try out the KL
    I did the KL thing as well. It took more than the beads and it seemed to break down after 6 months or so BUT for the price difference, IDK
    Ok just got them, (the His & Her's Wineador's) $80 each, unpacked and waiting for me to get them set up this weekend :)

Now just need to start saving for the custom spanish cedar drawers to add in em
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Your good with boxes the drawers look nice but really ain't needed
    Na don't need drawers just want to, to spiff em up a bit, will most likely make them myself down the road just because I miss the "construction/finishing" biz so much since I got hurt and am finally getting to the point I can "carefully" do some things again, but I will probably buy 4 of the cedar trays from cheap humidors just to have 2 descent ones in each for now, there only $9, and use plexiglass on the wine racks for boxes and such