Home General Discussion

Rotation.....

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
....how often do you guys rotate the cigars in your humidors..?

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I don't worry about it. I smoke enough that they get moved around while I'm digging. Or do you mean our "smoking" rotations?
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Rain:
    I don't worry about it. I smoke enough that they get moved around while I'm digging. Or do you mean our "smoking" rotations?
    Digging answered it.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I have my cooler organized(ish) so the sticks on the bottom tray are sticks that I'm going to leave in there for a while. They taper off as you come up higher in the cooler. So, I'd say when it comes down to it...maybe every few months you should shuffle around sticks that have been sitting for a while.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I don't rotate 'em. Maybe I should, but it's something I don't do.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Every two weeks, I move the three sticks on the right side of the humi to the left, and the four sticks on the left side to the right. Not sure it does much, but it makes me feel better. :^p
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Winter months and stash is a little thin right now so don't have to worry about rotation. Was never a big concern though. Usually dig through them enough
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I use fans...no need
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Your sticks shouldn't be jammed in so tight they can't get air. If you have them placed with the appropriate amount of space at the foot and head there is no need to rotate them into a more breathable position.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    once every three-four months i "face" the cigars in a different direction. right now i only see backs of bands.
    does that count as rotation?

and this is only in my all wood humidors.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    once every three-four months i "face" the cigars in a different direction. right now i only see backs of bands.

Glad to see your anal retention is still alive and well ... :)

I only keep 50 or so cigars on hand now-a-days, so rotation is unnecessary. But back when I had the vinotemps and coolers I rotated every 2 - 3 months. I did notice cigars at the furthest point from the humidification when be noticeably dryer, not dry but not as humid, even though the hygrometer showed within 2% of the one right next to the cigar oasis.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

Glad to see your anal retention is still alive and well ... :)

I only keep 50 or so cigars on hand now-a-days, so rotation is unnecessary. But back when I had the vinotemps and coolers I rotated every 2 - 3 months. I did notice cigars at the furthest point from the humidification when be noticeably dryer, not dry but not as humid, even though the hygrometer showed within 2% of the one right next to the cigar oasis.

Good point...I am noticing that my gauge readings will also change depending where they are in the humidor. So, for now, I keep them in the middle as much as possible. I am hoping that my humidor project and the use of fans will even everything out.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I use fans...no need
    Heading in that direction.
    bigharpoon:
    Your sticks shouldn't be jammed in so tight they can't get air. If you have them placed with the appropriate amount of space at the foot and head there is no need to rotate them into a more breathable position.
    Point taken and I try to do just that.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:

Exactly what I do (except once/maybe twice per year). I also do this with my Red Wine. Labels up or Labels down.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I used to do it but stopped many years ago as I put little "risers" at the bottom of my humis so air gets underneath of them and as many times as I am in and out there is plenty of air to circulate in there. Many of my cigars are in cello so rotating them is unnecessary and haven't seen any issues for the last 15 years of not rotating stock.
    just for clarification... im not sure my rotation does anything. but it sure makes me feel good.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    What about cigars in full/almost full boxes. Are they not getting enough air?
    Bob Luken:
    this is actually why dont think any rotation really helps. box aging cigars is widely regarded as the best way to age cigars. buy a box. dont open it. let it sit.

no rotation at all.

like i said... it just makes me feel good.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    this is actually why dont think any rotation really helps. box aging cigars is widely regarded as the best way to age cigars. buy a box. dont open it. let it sit.

no rotation at all.

like i said... it just makes me feel good.
    Very true for those who are in to aging. I've got aged and rested stock and I don't even touch them...they just sit there and enjoy life and then I take one out and smoke it and it's wonderful. Does rotation really make a difference? IMHO it doesn't but what I think doesn't really matter....try it and see for yourself if you think it does.