Home General Discussion

Maximizing my cooler

New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
I was looking at the cooler today, and all 3 of the baskets I had inside, were full. This wasn't going to work for me. Gaining any more sticks, and I'd have to move back into my humi (still running, but empty I KNOW I KNOW). The humi is intended to hold the sticks I've purchased, so I don't confuse them with something that has been sent to me. Don't want to bomb/trade something I was bombed/traded.

Anywho...Considering the top shelf of my humi is useless with my black ice jars inside, I took out my top basket, and put the shelf, in the cooler. I tried it before, and it fits, but won't go all the way down. So, replacing my top basket seemed to be the right move.

I counted, and I currently have 150 sticks in the (28 qt) cooler. Using said shelf, I have plenty more room than I did before. Around this place, it seems like maximizing your space is key!

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Yes it is!! This is another reason I like boveda... You can fit them almost anywhere!! You don't need pounds of them just a few for a cooler and your good.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I have a boveda/KL combo going on in mine.
    I use boveda and beads...don't use a lot if beads at all and use the boveda at the bottom too even things out...plus a fan and damn it works wonders
    Well, if I want to keep them seperate I may need cooler #2 soon. I have an 8oz black ice jar I'm not using. I'm sure I could attach it to the sides.
    Try it once the boveda packs are really swollen just put them on too and take out the beads till they return to normal size...I've been doing it for years now
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    I would just go with a larger cooler rather than maintain multiple smaller ones. Walmart has a Coleman 48 qt for around $20.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Hmm, my outgoing keeps me at an even keel. LOL!
    So....question of opinion here. With the shelf in the cooler, I believe I'm cutting off the rH from getting to the top of the cooler. My hygro (attached to the lid) is sitting at 60rh. I was running about 67 before. I'm currently filling 2 "pies" of black ice, to place on the shelf. I'll see if that will cover the top area. I have 2 more, if needed. However, with them installed, I'll have KL, Boveda, and "beads" (if you will).

If I remove the shelf, the cooler is full. If I keep it, I have to be very tactical about my humidification.
    Uuuuummmmm humidity falls!! That's why I use beads at the top and boveda at the bottom
    Silly physics! My issue with that was keeping the KL up top. The Boveda's were not intentional, but gifted to me, and much appreciated. I didn't have the black ice at the time. I purchased 2 8oz jars. One is in use, the other is too large for the humi I intended it for.
    New Boots:
    Silly physics! My issue with that was keeping the KL up top. The Boveda's were not intentional, but gifted to me, and much appreciated. I didn't have the black ice at the time. I purchased 2 8oz jars. One is in use, the other is too large for the humi I intended it for.
    see you went kl! You could use a small bit of beads with boveda packs on the bottom...but what do I know
    Lee.mcglynn:
    New Boots:
    see you went kl! You could use a small bit of beads with boveda packs on the bottom...but what do I know
    I'm still afraid this shelf is to tight of a fit. So, loading it with sticks will not allow proper flow of rH. :(
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Lee.mcglynn:
    New Boots:
    Lee. How does KL/Beads on top and Boveda on the bottom work better than doing it the other way around? And when you say humidity falls, do you mean higher/wetter humidity falls and lower/drier humidity rises? Not sure if I understand what you mean.
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    New Boots:
    Lee. How does KL/Beads on top and Boveda on the bottom work better than doing it the other way around? And when you say humidity falls, do you mean higher/wetter humidity falls and lower/drier humidity rises? Not sure if I understand what you mean.
    I'm going to sit on the fence on this one...but I do understand what he means by "it falls". However, that really only applies until the entire humi/cooler/etc is fully humidified.

Initially, or after you open it...the humid air, is heavier than the less humid air...so it will sink to the bottom.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Does the shelf have vent holes in it?
    rsherman24:
    Does the shelf have vent holes in it?
    Yes, though I have 50 or so sticks on the shelf. So, they get covered up.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Maybe leave some empty space for air flow or a perforated tube with kl inside in the shelf