Home General Discussion

So I email Woodcrafters about......

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
....cigar friendly SPANISH CEDAR to make a humidor. They email me back and say "I am not sure what you mean by cigar friendly". Excuse me..!! Really..!!

Comments

• pokerstar22pokerstar22 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 62
    that's kinda sad, i've bought Spanish cedar from them before and the cashier specifically asked me if i was making a humidor.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    jd50ae:
    ....cigar friendly SPANISH CEDAR to make a humidor. They email me back and say "I am not sure what you mean by cigar friendly". Excuse me..!! Really..!!
    Is there cigar unfriendly Spanish cedar? Serious question, by the way.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Echambers:
    jd50ae:
    Is there cigar unfriendly Spanish cedar? Serious question, by the way.

Well, you can buy different thicknesses, and their are all kinds of grain variations not to mention varying coloration and patterns. That I get from just looking at different sites, but I am sure some folks on here can answer better then me. And it really does not matter, it was a stupid and lame reply. It would have been better if say "all Spanish cedar is cigar friendly" or for a humidor we recommend a thickness of CXC, or any simple explanation would have done.
  • Chuck NChuck N Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 792
    No, there is no unfriendly spanish cedar. You just dont want aromatic cedar. Spanish cedar is spanish cedar. To get buy cheaper Honduran Mahogany will work as well. The thicker the side walls of the humidor and the thicker the spanish cedar the better. I was a cabinetmaker for many many years.
    Chuck N:
    No, there is no unfriendly spanish cedar. You just dont want aromatic cedar. Spanish cedar is spanish cedar. To get buy cheaper Honduran Mahogany will work as well. The thicker the side walls of the humidor and the thicker the spanish cedar the better. I was a cabinetmaker for many many years.

Thier complete reply.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I'm not sure what you mean by cigar friendly. I would use something with a high moisture resistance rating like Titebond III in the link below."

High moisture resistance...???
    pokerstar22:
    that's kinda sad, i've bought Spanish cedar from them before and the cashier specifically asked me if i was making a humidor.

Maybe the cashier smokes cigars....
  • Chuck NChuck N Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 792
    Pretty much its all its used for.
    Chuck N:
    Pretty much its all its used for.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. It was my first foray looking for the stuff and all I have to go on is the photos and what I have read on the net and his question was not even suggestive of 1. Wanting to help and 2. He had more knowledge then I do. When you go to an "expert" you expect them to know what they are talking about, he did not even come close.

Ahem....but now that I know there are 2 knowledgeable folks on this wonderful forum, you and Walt, I will pick your brains over the next couple of months if that is OK with you. .
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Uuuummmmmm ask for kiln dried!! All wood will expell oils unless kiln dried!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Uuuummmmmm ask for kiln dried!! All wood will expell oils unless kiln dried!

Another note in my humidor building note book.

Thank You
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    jd50ae:
    Thier complete reply.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I'm not sure what you mean by cigar friendly. I would use something with a high moisture resistance rating like Titebond III in the link below."

What was the exact wording of your question?

Sounds like the reply you got was from someone a little more knoweladgable of humidor making then your giving them credit for. His reply was about the glue to use when building your box. Titebond III is the most water resistant glue Titebond makes and is my prefered glue of choice in my wood shop. He is correct in his glue recomendation cause of the constant humidity in a humidor.

Also to correct you, its Woodcraft not WoodraftERS, unless you are talking about a compleatly differnt store then I am aware of.
    <br< Robert
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    FireRob:
    jd50ae:
    Thier complete reply.

Sounds like the reply you got was from someone a little more knoweladgable of humidor making then your giving them credit for. His reply was about the glue to use when building your box. Titebond III is the most water resistant glue Titebond makes and is my prefered glue of choice in my wood shop. He is correct in his glue recomendation cause of the constant humidity in a humidor.

Also to correct you, its Woodcraft not WoodraftERS, unless you are talking about a compleatly differnt store then I am aware of.

There's a "Woodcraft" and there's a "Woodcrafters". Two different businesses. I've bought from each of them in the past. Just sayin'.....
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    FireRob:
    unless you are talking about a compleatly differnt store then I am aware of.
    Ahh and that is why I said this ^^^^^^^ but I will stand by the other comment about the guy knowing a thing about building humidors and the glue comment and currious what the questions asked to Woodcrafters was.
    FireRob:
    jd50ae:
    Thier complete reply.

Glue..? Well I guess I owe him an apology. When I went to the link I got a 404 error and never saw the glue.