Home General Discussion

Frozen delivery

CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
I got a shipment from Ccom this morning and had a question regarding thawing it out. It was -8 earlier this morning so they were pretty solid, I'm sure. I put them in the fridge to thaw gradually, and came to search the forum. Sounds like thawing them in the fridge for a couple days and resting them for a while in the humi and they'll be fine. I'm not really worried, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any steps. Thanks

Comments

• curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    CharlieHeis:
    I got a shipment from Ccom this morning and had a question regarding thawing it out. It was -8 earlier this morning so they were pretty solid, I'm sure. I put them in the fridge to thaw gradually, and came to search the forum. Sounds like thawing them in the fridge for a couple days and resting them for a while in the humi and they'll be fine. I'm not really worried, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any steps. Thanks
    I have just been leaving them in the box for a day then moving them to the Humidor. However I may be doing it wrong.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    CharlieHeis:
    I'm a general sense, the biggest threat is rapid fluctuations in temp. I haven't dealt with sticks that cold but a quick trip from -8 to 70 is not going to do them any favors. The potential damage will be to the construction. Your idea to leave them in the refrigerator seems to me to be a sound idea. Let us know how it works?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just throw em inthe humi. And as a plus... no beetles.
    Echambers:
    CharlieHeis:
    I'm a general sense, the biggest threat is rapid fluctuations in temp. I haven't dealt with sticks that cold but a quick trip from -8 to 70 is not going to do them any favors. The potential damage will be to the construction. Your idea to leave them in the refrigerator seems to me to be a sound idea. Let us know how it works?
    it really isn't an issue. I've gone from freezer to lit and smoking in 10 MIN with no issue. Cigars are more resilient than everyone thinks.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    kuzi16:
    Echambers:
    CharlieHeis:
    it really isn't an issue. I've gone from freezer to lit and smoking in 10 MIN with no issue. Cigars are more resilient than everyone thinks.
    My biggest worry would be with Connecticut and Cameroon wrappers. They are very thin and break easy.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    kuzi16:
    Echambers:
    CharlieHeis:
    Good to know! I'll have to try that. So do you routinely freeze new sticks to avoid beetles?
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    curtiscr79:
    CharlieHeis:
    I have just been leaving them in the box for a day then moving them to the Humidor. However I may be doing it wrong.
    Just did this with some Expensive Padrons. No problem.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    Sounds like I'm either doing it right, or erring on the side of caution. Thank you for all of the info guys.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    As long as your home isn't 90 degrees you should be fine. I've gotten stuff in in cold weather and just put it in the humi and nothing bad happened
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Lee.mcglynn:
    As long as your home isn't 90 degrees you should be fine. I've gotten stuff in in cold weather and just put it in the humi and nothing bad happened
    I do the same..They will be fine.
    Well, kaspera79 if it works for the guy from Chicago, then it will work for me.

Might have to get some info on cigar lounges if I make a trip to your great city this summer.
    Echambers:
    kuzi16:
    Echambers:
    CharlieHeis:
    Good to know! I'll have to try that. So do you routinely freeze new sticks to avoid beetles?
    nope. My hose is cold to begin with. If I lived in a warm area I would.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    kuzi16:
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just throw em inthe humi. And as a plus... no beetles.
    my cigars are loving these cold temps., lol
    really the bigger issue is massive swings in humidity.

if they are in sealed bags there should be no issue at all.
    kuzi16:
    really the bigger issue is massive swings in humidity.

if they are in sealed bags there should be no issue at all.
    Makes sense. This newbie thanks you all for the replies.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    In Minnesota the winter brings frozen sticks quite often. I have a holding cell 'cooler' that I put them in so they can rise in temp over a few days. When I get around to moving them to the humidor a week or two later I have never had an issue.

As Kuzi said the humidity is the issue. If a cigar is 'flash frozen' like they are up north the humidity in the cigars doesn't drop as fast as the temps.