Home General Discussion

Excuse me, Mr. Glasstop, it's time for your surgery

New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
So, my glasstop humi is sitting right at 65rH. With KL and sponge installed. With both of those in there the rH should be much higher. This leads me to believe I have a seal problem. Time for surgery on my "premipremiprem" dislplay humi.

Comments

• biodarwinbiodarwin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 260
    Glass tops are definitely known for that. A little aquarium sealant will do wonders. I just did this to a firends humidor and it worked great.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    For me, that is ideal. Remember, the KL is regulating humidity against the sponge, so 65 is fine. I have two glass tops, never had an issue with either.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    catfishbluezz:
    For me, that is ideal. Remember, the KL is regulating humidity against the sponge, so 65 is fine. I have two glass tops, never had an issue with either.
    Ill pull the sponge, and see where im sitting.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    New Boots:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ill pull the sponge, and see where im sitting.
    Also keep in mind, that adding sticks may bring the rh up as well. How long did you have the sponge in before you put the KL in? And before you go nuts on the seal, pour a shot glass or two in the KL.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    catfishbluezz:
    agree! It's the time of year things get dry...65rh IMO is great why change it? I can see if it dipped into the 50's you'd have a problem but this just seems too me like a normal thing
    I was doing a re season on it. sponge has been in a few days with th kl
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    agree! It's the time of year things get dry...65rh IMO is great why change it? I can see if it dipped into the 50's you'd have a problem but this just seems too me like a normal thing
    Yeeeeea
    65 is good. Especially for the winter. Checked my humis yesterday and they were down to 60 RH $hit, whoops! Refilled all the beads, gel jars, etc and they're creepin up past 63 this morning. Doubt they'll get much above 66-67 though, that seems to be where my wood humidors "max out" in the winter.

Edit: D'oh. You are probably using the sponge in place of the dish full of water method. I'd say recharge the sponge or add a second sponge and give it a few more days. If you don't see a change within a week then you might try messing with the seal/other options.
    jgibv:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeeeeea
    65 is good. Especially for the winter. Checked my humis yesterday and they were down to 60 RH $hit, whoops! Refilled all the beads, gel jars, etc and they're creepin up past 63 this morning. Doubt they'll get much above 66-67 though, that seems to be where my wood humidors "max out" in the winter.

Edit: D'oh. You are probably using the sponge in place of the dish full of water method. I'd say recharge the sponge or add a second sponge and give it a few more days. If you don't see a change within a week then you might try messing with the seal/other options.
    Yeah, Im using the sponge method. I filled it with water a few days ago. Ill check it again tonight. I dont need this humi right away
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    New Boots:
    jgibv:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeeeeea

Yeah, Im using the sponge method. I filled it with water a few days ago. Ill check it again tonight. I dont need this humi right away
    you don't have anything in there right now? If not you are going to have a hard time getting that humidor up to 70 in the winter. Remember that cigars themselves go a long way to keeping a stable relative humidity......i have the hardest time getting a humidor to be stable without a good few cigars in the humidor.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Even my humidor with a solid seal and full of sticks is dipping in rh because of all the dry winter air. As soon as I crack the lid, I can watch the hygrometer shoot down to 60 within a min or so.