Home General Discussion

West Coast Herf

EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
For my 500th post I'm going to be bold. You're all on notice: HERF in Portland, OR in June. Exact date TBD. Don't think about it just do it.

. I'll work out an itinerary and negotiate rates for a block of hotels. Who is in????

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    You said not to a think. I'm sure with a little advance notice I could take some leave.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Hmmm....I do like the show Portlandia and my wife has always wanted to make a documentary on Polybius......
    I'll get an exact date up this weekend. In the meantime if there are people that want to come and there are dates that will not work, post here.
    Portland is a great city and there are several places to smoke indoors. Amazing cocktail scene too.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    The only place I know of that has a cigar lounge in Portland is Cascade on 82nd.
    Is there other places?
    It's possible I might be able to make it.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    Several of the mcminnemens (sp?), Kells (an Irish pub), el gouchos (high end stake house). I even heard, but have not been, to the shilo inn which is suppose to have a smoking lounge. Others I'm forgetting?
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    I might be able to bride the misses into taking a road trip. I got a little family leave saved up from work too!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I'm up if it's out a ways
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Sounds good bro, i'm just down the road a ways so should be easy to make.
    Excellent! I'll get some information together in the next few days so we can start talking details.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    I'm in. Lol I hope I can make the travel plans in time... ;) I've heard lots of good things about Greater Trumps. It's a Mcmenamins with indoor and outdoor seating. Parking can be a bear to deal with... Just stick to the neighborhood parking and it shouldn't be too bad.
    So here is what I am thinking:

Let’s try to make this happen the weekend of June 27th-29th. School should be out for most people. Other conflicts I’m not thinking about?

There are a couple of options for hotels. There is a Shilo Inn near the airport that I hear has a cigar lounge upstairs. The benefits to the Shilo Inn (besides the cigar lounge) are that it is affordable, free breakfast, and other nice amenities. If enough people are interested I might be able to negotiate a slightly lower rate too. The drawback is that it is a little far from town where most of the other activities will likely take place. We can, however, take the light rail into town which is FAR better than driving. There are nicer, albeit more expensive, hotels right down town. The benefit is that you are right down town but they are more expensive and tend to have fewer amenities.

How is this for a tentative schedule (knowing that people can come to as few or as many events as they choose):

Friday Night Herf at the Shilo Inn or 82nd Ave. Tobacco and Pipe
    Saturday Lunch; Kells Irish Pub
    Saturday dinner, El Gouchos or McMenamins Greater Trumps.
    Sunday ???

If people are interested I could most certainly arrange a distillery tour/tasting one day also.

Portland is a great see with lots to do for spouses and others that don’t smoke. Portland is also a great family city too with a zoo, children’s museum, and so forth, so think about bringing family.

Thoughts?
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    0patience:
    The only place I know of that has a cigar lounge in Portland is Cascade on 82nd.
    Is there other places?
    It's possible I might be able to make it.
    Cascade, 82nd Tobacco (great outside area if it's warm), Trumps at the McMenamins Bagdad Theater if you want food and drink, The Green Dragon pub (also food and drink), El Gaucho (most expensive steak restaurant in PDX but good bar and smoking area), The Mark at Shilo Inn on Canyon (restaurant with sports on and good food plus a hotel attached for the out of towners).

I'm so down it hurts. Only if Jiunnbug comes up though. BTW Jiunn, you can sleep in my kid's dollhouse if you come up. We will shower together too!!!! :vomit:

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Echambers:
    So here is what I am thinking:

Let’s try to make this happen the weekend of June 27th-29th. School should be out for most people. Other conflicts I’m not thinking about?

There are a couple of options for hotels. There is a Shilo Inn near the airport that I hear has a cigar lounge upstairs. The benefits to the Shilo Inn (besides the cigar lounge) are that it is affordable, free breakfast, and other nice amenities. If enough people are interested I might be able to negotiate a slightly lower rate too. The drawback is that it is a little far from town where most of the other activities will likely take place. We can, however, take the light rail into town which is FAR better than driving. There are nicer, albeit more expensive, hotels right down town. The benefit is that you are right down town but they are more expensive and tend to have fewer amenities.

How is this for a tentative schedule (knowing that people can come to as few or as many events as they choose):

Friday Night Herf at the Shilo Inn or 82nd Ave. Tobacco and Pipe
    Saturday Lunch; Kells Irish Pub
    Saturday dinner, El Gouchos or McMenamins Greater Trumps.
    Sunday ???

If people are interested I could most certainly arrange a distillery tour/tasting one day also.

Portland is a great see with lots to do for spouses and others that don’t smoke. Portland is also a great family city too with a zoo, children’s museum, and so forth, so think about bringing family.

Thoughts?

I posted my last response before I read this. This is a great set up. I'm all over this. At least one of the days.
    The Great PDX Smokeout
    Sounds darn good to me! I might not be able to make every event but i will totally show up to as many as i can! :) If i can convince my spouse and depending on how may people would require entertaining... i might be able to throw together a BBQ with some burgers and dogs? Ive got a fairly small house and man cave so like i said... depending on how many can make it... :)
    That is if you clowns promise not to steal my stuffs and not be creepy around my family... ;)
    LiquidChaos66:
    That is if you clowns promise not to steal my stuffs and not be creepy around my family... ;)
    No promises.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Well hell, if you're gonna start throwing around "rules" maybe I don't want to go... ;)
    I might be down, keep me posted!
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    Bigshizza:
    I might be down, keep me posted!
    Same here, am in tech school, but seriously looking for employment, if I'm in a situation without a job still by then, or get a job that days off work for it, would love to make it. Will have to play it by ear
    perkinke:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Well hell, if you're gonna start throwing around "rules" maybe I don't want to go... ;)

lmao! Not really rules I guess... Just personal preference. Lmao!
    LiquidChaos66:
    Sounds darn good to me! I might not be able to make every event but i will totally show up to as many as i can! :) If i can convince my spouse and depending on how may people would require entertaining... i might be able to throw together a BBQ with some burgers and dogs? Ive got a fairly small house and man cave so like i said... depending on how many can make it... :)
    Are there places I've missed? Other things we should consider? All joking aside it is very generous to even consider having us over for a BBQ. Maybe Sunday lunch? I'm sure if you have the dogs we'll bring the libations. :-)
    Echambers:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Are there places I've missed? Other things we should consider? All joking aside it is very generous to even consider having us over for a BBQ. Maybe Sunday lunch? I'm sure if you have the dogs we'll bring the libations. :-)

as long as i have a heads up so i can hide my valuables... ;D
    Bump for you...and you...and you too!
    Hey, all,

I really dropped the ball on this one. I know it's short notice but I am going to be in Portland over the 4th of July weekend. If anyone wants to meet for a smoke, let me know. I won't have a car but could meet at the Irish place or somewhere else downtown.
    Btw.... I want to meet in Porkland sometime in July before I go under the knife. Anyone want to hang!! Kevin, Glen, Dennis, Chris, Tony, Eric???
    I can't do the fourth but I can squeeze in some other time, when's your cuttin' date Jim?