Home General Discussion

Carry ons and cigar supplies.

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
Going to Vegas I July. Only taking carry on luggage. What cigar stuff can I take with me that TSA won't molest me over or take away from me?

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Check their website. TSA.gov
  • JGKAMINJGKAMIN Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    Lighters are permissible but not if they are torch lighters. I just lost one on my last trip despite taking it many times previously. It bummed me out so much I won't take anything close to being their judgment call.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    I couldnt get a lighter through .... even a bic..... so I just got one at the other end. I was able to bring a punch through so I used that. I have the punch on my key ring and no questions asked. Have fun !
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    I see nothing about cigar cutters... maybe ill just bring a cheap punch so if it does get snatched i wont be horrible upset... I emailed TSA to get their opinion on my Perfect Cut cutters... lets hope for the best!
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Chris, just buy a military uniform. Not only do you get treated better, everyone on the plane claps for you and sometimes they'll bump you up to first class. When you get to first class, people start buying you drinks.So I hear, anyways.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    LiquidChaos66:
    I see nothing about cigar cutters... maybe ill just bring a cheap punch so if it does get snatched i wont be horrible upset... I emailed TSA to get their opinion on my Perfect Cut cutters... lets hope for the best!
    I emailed TSA once... your reply will be a quote from their book.....useless.... really up to the guy that is there when you go through.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Rain:
    Chris, just buy a military uniform. Not only do you get treated better, everyone on the plane claps for you and sometimes they'll bump you up to first class. When you get to first class, people start buying you drinks.So I hear, anyways.

LMFAO!!! Made my day!!!!
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Using their website was a good suggestion. They have a pretty well set-up search function. Cigars are ok in check or carry. Cigar cutters are ok to check, not carry. Lighters are just no. Most people around here suggest picking up a Ronson cheapo torch where you land. Easy to find, like $4. Can also probably find a $1-2 cutter too.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    LiquidChaos66:
    My Xikar MTX Multitool scissors have made many trips with me in my herf-a-dor in my carryon, Vegas, Florida, Sacramento, etc..... I have also taken on numerous punches also.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I thought bic lighters were allowed. I take a cheap cutter and throw away lighters to be safe
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Gray4lines:
    I thought bic lighters were allowed. I take a cheap cutter and throw away lighters to be safe
    Yeah a TSA agent told me disposable lighters are ok, but no torches. I fly a bunch for work and never had any issues with a bic and cheap cutter. If I lose a $5 cutter it's easier to deal with than trying to find a shop selling them when I am pressed for time.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I've read about this so many times and I travel a lot....TSA reg's are pretty simple but that doesn't mean that the agents know their head from their a$$ so bring along a print out of what is acceptable as far as cigar items, lighters, etc. Soft flames are allowed like Bics or another lighter that produces a soft flame...not those double flames that produce a soft and torch flame. I've brought simple guillotine cutters and have not had any issues. What does provoke TSA are cutters that have other attachments with them...keep your items simple and DON'T bring any expensive items with you....it's just something that TSA fixates on and tries to keep them as they get to keep items at the end of the day. I have a Herf A Dor that I put my cigars in and I also keep the TSA Reg's in there as well as a frame of reference for those agents who need some "help" in deciphering their own rules.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Rain:
    The first time I flew in uniform (geez, 25 years ago) two or three people bought me drinks -- and I most definitely was not flying first class! From that point on, my rule has been that if I am on a flight with a service man or woman in uniform, I always buy them a drink.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    LiquidChaos66:
    Going to Vegas I July. Only taking carry on luggage. What cigar stuff can I take with me that TSA won't molest me over or take away from me?
    since it is vegas i would bring questionable at all. no lighters. no cutters. just a herfador.

you can get everything there. all the cigar shops have cutters and there is a CVS on the strip where you can get a bic or djeep.

when i went i just had the shop cut them as i purchased.

i found most of the places over priced save for one place: The Davidoff shops. prices were decent there. not what i pay at my B&M but good enough that i didnt feel bad. and the Davidoff cigars were all the same as my B&M before tax because Davidoff price controls everything.

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    I've taken a cutter and a couple boxes of matches in my carry on before. Just stick those in the herf-a-dor with the cigars, toss it in the bag and good to go.
    Never had a problem with it.

Never tried to take a lighter through though....
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Traveled quite a bit with my cutter and lighter. There is a separate case I keep them in so I can run them through the scanner out of my bags. The less you try and hide them the better.

Vcutters and guillotines are fine. I have a xikar MTX scissors they let through but almost always look at it first. I would not recommend flying with it. Just bring a cheap $2 B&M cutter.

I bring a zippo lighter and they never question it. When I light the cigar I let the flame burn a second first. Gets rid of the butane smell. Then light gently and slowly. Tons easier than matches because the wind just isn't friendly.