Home General Discussion

Bombing Retirees

WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
Well ok... maybe not bombs. Firecrackers. That's it. Scaring the beejeezus out of retirees with firecrackers. Airy day yo!

I'm the guy that gets our armed forces retirees paid in New Mexico and Texas (this side of the Pecos, in case you were wondering Rain... is mine. This state IS big enough for the two of us). Part of that procedure is getting them to sign their pay applications. They sit at my big mohagany desk and are usually impressed with my office. "This is a better office than my Brigade Commander" I hear all the time.

On the corner of my desk sits my "little" humidor that I use for work purposes. It's got my Army logo and such on it.

So when a fellow BOTL sees it and recognizes it for it is.... BINGO! They get to pull from the stash. Most of the time I hear "aw... that's a nice box." But when they identify... they get rewarded. One one side are the yard gars (currently PDR fumas) and on the other side are the 2-10s (Short Stories, Diplomas, El Mejors, Toranos, etc). So they get a yard gar and their choice of the good ones. They seem to enjoy it.

Comments

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    That's a nice Humi Walt and what an unexpected surprise for them. I've been digging those El Mejor's - I've had two and really was impressed since they are pretty cheap.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    What a great idea! Might have to steal that one for my office.

BTW... That's a real nice HUMIDOR you got on your desk there, Walt. ;^)
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Puff_Dougie:

hahaha... yours are en route my fiend...
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    That's awesome. Good for you!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Echambers:
    That's awesome. Good for you!
    I second that!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I'm a pusher. When I meet a service technician or deliverman or meet somebody new I ask them "You like cigars?". Usually they say "sure" or "I haven't had a cigar in a long time". Even if they show any type of positive response I shove a baggie with a few sticks in their hand. And if they are obviously a novice, I'll go ahead and cut 'em for them and mention to NOT use a Zippo.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    There is certainly a bunch of decent good folks here.

My cousin did your job at FT Generals in Residence in Arlington VA, and it just so happened when I rotated back he was the second person I talked to. Nice to have friends.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Bob Luken:
    I'm a pusher. When I meet a service technician or deliverman or meet somebody new I ask them "You like cigars?". Usually they say "sure" or "I haven't had a cigar in a long time". Even if they show any type of positive response I shove a baggie with a few sticks in their hand. And if they are obviously a novice, I'll go ahead and cut 'em for them and mention to NOT use a Zippo.

What a great idea.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    So do I need to move to get paid?
    Rain:
    So do I need to move to get paid?
    LOL... Naw... yore good!
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Very cool. I think I should get a 2-3 stick holder and bring some sticks with me to any offices/houses I go to in case I get offered something. There's no way they'd expect a trade instead of a bomb lol
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    WaltBasil:
    Puff_Dougie:

Wait... did you say "fiend"?
  • dandin1dandin1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 175
    That's an awesome idea. I bet those who identify are quite surprised when you open it up and let them have their pick also!
    Puff_Dougie:
    WaltBasil:
    Puff_Dougie:

Wait... did you say "fiend"?
    why yes. Yes I did. ;-)
    dandin1:
    That's an awesome idea. I bet those who identify are quite surprised when you open it up and let them have their pick also!
    They are! Some will bring me one afterwards. I be sure to tell them it's my gift to them. No need to bring me anything.