Home General Discussion

What is Wrong with Me???

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
Right... So, a couple of weeks ago, I'm minding my own business and surfing the web for cool stuff, when I come across this cool site called Cigar.com and stumble onto an online forum for cigar lovers, like me. I browse the site and find some really good information, as well as an apparently warm and fun-loving group of people who love good smokes and making each other laugh. Seems like fun, so I jump in.

A week later, I find myself reaching into my humi for some select sticks, boxing them up, and mailing them to dudes I've never met.

Can someone explain this strange phenomenon? Is it the power of the web to quickly create a sense of personal connection via social media? Is it the natural bond of finding fellow cigar enthusiasts and feeling instant comeraderie? Or am I just a total lunatic?

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    You be craaaaaazy ! You up for a trade ? If so Pm me you craaaaaazy lunatic !
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Pm back at you Puff !
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    ONE OF US..ONE OF US...ONE OF US...that's why we call it a brotherhood.I had the same experience 2 years ago.found this motley crude of guys started talking.got bombed didn't get it then I sent out a few.....then I got it.its all about sharing our hobby with others....hope you stick around for a great while!!!!
    We have a taker on the trade offer ! Welcome Puff !
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    HA! Had the same problem when i joined! I still check the boards 5 times a day, bomb people i have never even talked to...gotta love it! Truly an awesome brotherhood here!
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Indeed. It s a like a crack addiction but with slightly more socially appropriate people.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I'm sure this question as crossed all our minds.... I'm blaming it on insanity.....
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Lmao don't think about it too much!! Even if you try too explain this too other people you just sound nuts!! So you buy a crap ton of cigars so you can ship a good amount away? Yeah until someone comes here and jumps in there is no explanation
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Welcome to the asylum
  • JaximsagJaximsag Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    what's wrong with you man their is nothing wrong..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rsherman24:
    Welcome to the asylum
    wrong forum
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    About four years ago, I was in the same boat. I miss those days. This hobby started out innocent enough, but has evolved into a strange and interesting journey. It really has opened up my mind to a culture that I never knew existed. The first couple of years, I was really involved in trades, passes, bombs, games, etc... Unfortunately, my involvement in the forums slowed down, to say the least. I've done everything from pitching in a "fiver" for a pool to sending a humidor and some smokes to a BOTL over seas without even batting an eye. I've also learned a ton about cigars from seed to cellophane. I've become the local "cigar expert" to all my friends and co-workers. Family, kids, work.... Life.... it all changes over the years. But it's nice to check in here every once in a while and see newbies with the same enthusiasm I had four years ago.

Puff Dougie, I envy you....
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    You forgot the part about boxes showing up on your doorstep and needing more space for storage...
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Ken Light:
    You forgot the part about boxes showing up on your doorstep and needing more space for storage...
    Hasn't happened. Figured that was just a myth. :^p
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:
    Hasn't happened yet. Figured that was just a myth.I got a little time to prepare. :^p

Some careless errors there. Fixed it for ya. ;D
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    yea this hobby will grab ya by the boo boo and make you do strange things.... things that will make your wife look at you with that evil eye.... its one of the best feelings in the entire world.

Aj
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:
    Hasn't happened yet. Figured that was just a myth.I got a little time to prepare. :^p

ROFL!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:

ROFL!
    Yeah the first thing that any noob to the forum should do is buy a cooler. It took me a year to figure that one out!
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:
    Is that a challenge?
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Puff_Dougie:
    Right... So, a couple of weeks ago, I'm minding my own business and surfing the web for cool stuff, when I come across this cool site called Cigar.com and stumble onto an online forum for cigar lovers, like me. I browse the site and find some really good information, as well as an apparently warm and fun-loving group of people who love good smokes and making each other laugh. Seems like fun, so I jump in.

A week later, I find myself reaching into my humi for some select sticks, boxing them up, and mailing them to dudes I've never met.

Can someone explain this strange phenomenon? Is it the power of the web to quickly create a sense of personal connection via social media? Is it the natural bond of finding fellow cigar enthusiasts and feeling instant comeraderie? Or am I just a total lunatic?

I warned you....didn't I..?
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:

Don't let them scare you. Just be careful getting in a lot of trades and you should be fine.

From what I have seen it is common to do a 5 for 5 trade and end up with way more than 5. It is some kind of cigar counting algorithm. I use it some times when the wife asks how many cigars I get from my local B&M or online order.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:

Don't let them scare you. Just be careful getting in a lot of trades and you should be fine.

From what I have seen it is common to do a 5 for 5 trade and end up with way more than 5. It is some kind of cigar counting algorithm. I use it some times when the wife asks how many cigars I get from my local B&M or online order.
    I prefer something similar to (Agreed Number x 1.6) +/- 1 exception.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    No_one21:
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Ken Light:

I prefer something similar to (Agreed Number x 1.6) +/- 1 exception.
    That seems to be common, with the occasional exception.