Home Non Cigar Related

Home internet servive

roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
With my wife in grad school this semister and me going to school also, we are needing a home internet source. We could use our phones, but that would use alot of data time. We are needing something that is not too expensive either through AT&T (our phone provider) or something else.
Any info, help and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Do you have cable TV? If cable runs in your area they probably offer the best internet service unless you have fiber optic in your area which is very similar. If you have neither of those you'll probably have to get DSL from your phone provider. If you live in a rural area with neither you could do satellite internet, but it's not cheap or good generally.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Yeah, we live in the sticks and we dont have tv. We just watch movies. I just looked at the at&t u-verse thing, but i need to call and get more info. Thanks bub.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    I have a wireless modem(USB) from Verizon that gets pretty good signal here. I get 5 GB of data a month for roughly $10 a GB. 5 GB is sufficient for normal internet use. The only issue I have is that if I do Skype or google chat or watch a bunch of videos it goes through your data allotment pretty quickly.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    When I Lived in N VA we had choices and I went with COX for the bundle, phone, TV and internet. Best service I ever had.

Here you have 2 choices (local phone co won't transfer tele # to anyone). So we have DirecTV for cable and the phone company fast DSL. The DSL is faster and more reliable then GoWisper or Dish, which was the worst 2 services I ever had. Plus limiting downloads is a turn off for me. So, make sure you check out fast DSL, it can be the best option and you can probably bundle services.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    If you're in the sticks like me and must use something besides the cable or phone company there are satelite services available. My plan is about 50 bucks for 10GB a month and the speed is good but video conferencing or video downloads take up way too much of that 10GB. But my plan has un-metered data allowences in off-peak hours so you can schedule heavy downloads for those times.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Bob Luken:
    If you're in the sticks like me and must use something besides the cable or phone company there are satelite services available. My plan is about 50 bucks for 10GB a month and the speed is good but video conferencing or video downloads take up way too much of that 10GB. But my plan has un-metered data allowences in off-peak hours so you can schedule heavy downloads for those times.

What provider do use? Mine is the version 5 gig for 50.00 with a 10.00 per gig overage. Yours sounds much better.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    I hate Dishnet. Hate it completly.
    RBeckom:
    Bob Luken:

What provider do use? Mine is the version 5 gig for 50.00 with a 10.00 per gig overage. Yours sounds much better.
    Thats the best iv come across today Bob. What do u use?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    roland_7707:
    Yeah, we live in the sticks and we dont have tv.
    That's gonna be your biggest problem....

In-laws live out "in the sticks" too -- they have one of those verizon hot spot things but all they do is check email.

Check out this link if you want to find broadband.... http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

If you end up getting broadband or DSL ask if you can use your own modem and router instead of renting from your ISP ... if so you'll save around $5-10/month in equipment fees, search online and pick up one for cheap and it will pay for itself in less than a year.
    Bob Luken:
    How does it work when its raining?
    Exede Internet

How long have you had it and do they stick to their pricing for the entire two year contract period?
    I would not bother you if I did not constantly, thanks to my son, run over every month and end up paying up too 70.00 to 80.00 each month.
    I read all they had printed and it sounds like a good deal.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rodney.

roland_7707:
    Bob Luken:
    How does it work when its raining?
    Rain itself doesn't bother it at all but extremely dense thunderstorm clouds will block the signal but that is usually only for a few minutes. And it doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to. I've had this service for 4 years or more and I had an equipment upgrade a little while back and maybe the technology is better now because the clouds rarely block the signal compared to a few years back.
    RBeckom:
    Exede Internet

How long have you had it and do they stick to their pricing for the entire two year contract period?
    I would not bother you if I did not constantly, thanks to my son, run over every month and end up paying up too 70.00 to 80.00 each month.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rodney.

It's no bother at all. I'm happy to tell you about it and I hope it might save you some dough. I can't remember exactly how long I've been with them but maybe 5 years. They used to be called something else but now they decided on the new exede name. And I see that they have an alliance with DirecTV now. I think they were independent of all the satellite TV providers in the past. I've changed plans when there was an equipment upgrade available that provided faster speeds and that's when I got on the $50/10GB plan. That's been within the last three years. They haven't raised their rates on me and I believe I'm beyond the 2 year contract that came with the new equipment. I've been lucky in that I've really had no problems. I thought for sure a tree limb would have leveled the dish by now but so far no real glitches and also no hassles from the company.
    Had a satellite internet company hooked up today. 20 gigs for $50/month.
    Bob Luken:
    RBeckom:
    Exede Internet

Thanks in advance.
    Rodney.

It's no bother at all. I'm happy to tell you about it and I hope it might save you some dough. I can't remember exactly how long I've been with them but maybe 5 years. They used to be called something else but now they decided on the new exede name. And I see that they have an alliance with DirecTV now. I think they were independent of all the satellite TV providers in the past. I've changed plans when there was an equipment upgrade available that provided faster speeds and that's when I got on the $50/10GB plan. That's been within the last three years. They haven't raised their rates on me and I believe I'm beyond the 2 year contract that came with the new equipment. I've been lucky in that I've really had no problems. I thought for sure a tree limb would have leveled the dish by now but so far no real glitches and also no hassles from the company.

I checked on it and it has a good coverage within my locality so I will be cancelling Verizon and switching over. Why pay the same amount for less than half the service?
    I appreciate the heads up on this one, even after paying to get out of my commitment with Verizon, within less than a year I'll actually be saving money as my last bill reflected a nine dollar "fee" added to it, of course they had a three page letter explaining it.
    roland_7707:
    Had a satellite internet company hooked up today. 20 gigs for $50/month.
    Cool. Tell us who offers that deal.
    Hughes net. Been working great so far.
    Good for you. That's cool.