Home General Discussion

Help with converting end table to a humidor.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
I have a 2 door 2 drawer bedroom end table and I think it would be perfect for conversion to a really nice humidor.

I have a source for cedar, thank you Walt, so that is not a problem.

How much of the insides should be covered in cedar..?

And I guess glues are out of the question..?

Anything else I should consider..?

Comments

• thehilkthehilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,015
    Interested in this as well
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    As long as it seals well to maintain humidity, the amount of cedar is really up to you. The cedar does help to maintain humidity, and provides that aroma that we all love. I recently built one into a space in my bar, and I lined it completely with cedar. Probably overkill, but I had the cedar and wanted that look. I would not rule out glue. I glued my cedar in place and it is working out fine. There was a thread on here recently with some links to articles and such explaining the effects of gluing it in place. The biggest concern was that you do not want to trap moisture in between the layers. Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of people on here with much more experience who can add some input.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    rsherman24:
    As long as it seals well to maintain humidity, the amount of cedar is really up to you. The cedar does help to maintain humidity, and provides that aroma that we all love. I recently built one into a space in my bar, and I lined it completely with cedar. Probably overkill, but I had the cedar and wanted that look. I would not rule out glue. I glued my cedar in place and it is working out fine. There was a thread on here recently with some links to articles and such explaining the effects of gluing it in place. The biggest concern was that you do not want to trap moisture in between the layers. Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of people on here with much more experience who can add some input.

It was you and your bar that gave me the idea, so any sore thumbs or cuts is on you :). The moisture and the chemicals in the glue are what I am worried about. The sides of the end table are fairly thick so I may dress it up with gold screws.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jd50ae:
    I have a 2 door 2 drawer bedroom end table and I think it would be perfect for conversion to a really nice humidor.

I have a source for cedar, thank you Walt, so that is not a problem.

How much of the insides should be covered in cedar..?

And I guess glues are out of the question..?

Anything else I should consider..?
    Cover everything with Spanish cedar if you can. It will be better in the long run. A non-toxic glue like Elmer's wood glue or a hot glue gun will be fine. Foam weather stripping with adhesive backing (like you'd use on a window or door) will help seal the drawers/doors tight.

My experience here: http://cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/410189.aspx. It has held solid RH ever since with about 1 lb of beads and a couple boveda/humipaks. Let me know if I can help further. Good luck with the conversion!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Would you need to drill holes in the bottom of the drawers and dividers and place a fan to allow humidity flow?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    jd50ae:
    rsherman24:

It was you and your bar that gave me the idea, so any sore thumbs or cuts is on you :). The moisture and the chemicals in the glue are what I am worried about. The sides of the end table are fairly thick so I may dress it up with gold screws.
    You will be fine. Little blood on the cedar won't ruin it. I covered mine completely, so I was more conscious of keeping the pieces in place with glue. I let it dry and air out for a couple weeks before seasoning it. If the end table doesn't have a really good seal, the more cedar the better to hold RH I would think.
    roland_7707:
    Would you need to drill holes in the bottom of the drawers and dividers and place a fan to allow humidity flow?
    No...There is room behind the drawers. The only hole will be for electrical and I am going to do my best to dress that up.
    rsherman24:
    jd50ae:
    rsherman24:

You will be fine. Little blood on the cedar won't ruin it. I covered mine completely, so I was more conscious of keeping the pieces in place with glue. I let it dry and air out for a couple weeks before seasoning it. If the end table doesn't have a really good seal, the more cedar the better to hold RH I would think.

Good point and well taken, I never thought about drying it first...Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    If you are looking to seal the end table wood before putting the cedar in, check into a sealer called AFM SafeCoat. It is supposed to be a Food Grade wood sealer with zero VOC, which is supposed to give off no fumes.
    I was talking to a carpenter about wood sealers for kitchen use and he said it would work great for a humi cabinet. Just a thought.
    0patience:
    If you are looking to seal the end table wood before putting the cedar in, check into a sealer called AFM SafeCoat. It is supposed to be a Food Grade wood sealer with zero VOC, which is supposed to give off no fumes.
    I was talking to a carpenter about wood sealers for kitchen use and he said it would work great for a humi cabinet. Just a thought.

Another idea that never occurred to me...thanks.