Home General Discussion

Took all the"come with" black humidifiers and....

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
....took them apart (real small screw driver will pop em) and replaced the green flower thingy with black ice. Seem to be getting a better and steadier reading.

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    jd50ae:
    ....took them apart (real small screw driver will pop em) and replaced the green flower thingy with black ice. Seem to be getting a better and steadier reading.
    That sounds good. But. Keep an eye on those as well. Gel can mold too. But there's a budget minded fix for that. You can buy the clear floral gel balls at the big craft store in the big city for cheap. If you get mold on your "black" ice, you can wash out your pucks and replace. I haven't tried this myself yet but as soon as I can manage to get my hands on some at the craft store I'll be trying it out. I've read online that some botl have success with the craft store variety just fine.

Speaking of "black ice", how would you know if it gets moldy since it's black already? (That's why I would get clear ones for replacement.)

Funny (now that the scar tissue has healed) story. I was stupidly trying to "pop" open one of those black pucks with a lock-back knife. I tripped the "lock" and virtually cut off my pinky. Good for you that you chose the better tool. LOL

The preceding admission has been brought to you by the "Lefty" Jones Chapter of Retired Shop Class Teachers.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:
    That sounds good. But. Keep an eye on those as well. Gel can mold too. But there's a budget minded fix for that. You can buy the clear floral gel balls at the big craft store in the big city for cheap. If you get mold on your "black" ice, you can wash out your pucks and replace. I haven't tried this myself yet but as soon as I can manage to get my hands on some at the craft store I'll be trying it out. I've read online that some botl have success with the craft store variety just fine.

Speaking of "black ice", how would you know if it gets moldy since it's black already? (That's why I would get clear ones for replacement.)

Funny (now that the scar tissue has healed) story. I was stupidly trying to "pop" open one of those black pucks with a lock-back knife. I tripped the "lock" and virtually cut off my pinky. Good for you that you chose the better tool. LOL

The preceding admission has been brought to you by the "Lefty" Jones Chapter of Retired Shop Class Teachers.

Oh for pity's sake. Didn't your parents teach you to be careful of sharp pointy things. In case they didn't I'll pass along for your future safety that flames and the lit end of a cigar can cause pain because they are very hot and can burn....

I am already thinking about converting my bed room end table to a humidor and completely changing my humidification system. The clear beads have my attention, but I need to do some serious experimenting about the whole system before I get started. (Which reminds me, I have to post a question about same.)