Home Non Cigar Related

oops...seems the media has left part of the story out...gee what a surprise

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    jd50ae:

Basically the video talks about the ship that is stuck in the ice was on its way to find out how much ice was disappearing. The 3 cutters that were sent to rescue them got caught in the very same missing ice. And in typical liberal logic it was explained the ship was stuck in old ice, you know, the ice that is disappearing.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Yabbut, that video comes from Fox News. We all know you can't trust a single biased word that those ignorant tea bagger bible thumping mormon brainwashed war on women oldsters gays poor (insert group here) hillbilly right wing racist loonies have to say. So there.

All I know is, our oil furnace chose this morning to go belly up. Five degrees outside. Coldest it has been since we moved into this house. I suspect the oil line coming from the tank into the house froze up. Service man on the way. Brr.

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Silly liberals at their climate change ideas. Thank Jesus its all cyclical and unrelated to our human folly.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Vulchor:
    Silly liberals at their climate change ideas. Thank Jesus its all cyclical and unrelated to our human folly.
    Oh here we go. Climate change is not the tooth fairy that some democrat thought up. It is a very real thing.

No offense but the only people saying that it doesn't exist are people with a vested interest in burning fossil fuels. They don't want people to think there is a causality between human fossil fuel consumption and the global increase in temperature. Even some of those scientists that work for the big energy companies agree that climate change is real and that it is significantly caused by humans. What people don't agree on is the consequences of climate change or how quickly those consequences will effect the world. Those from the right take money from the gas and oil industry and those on the left take money from people looking to subsidize renewable energy and biofuel production.

Frankly, until the issue is not a political one then it's unlikely to be fully understood by the general public. The questions we should be asking are not does it exist, but if it does and we do nothing what will happen? If the mean global temperature rises can we reverse it? Those are the more important questions.

Saying it's a really cold winter so it must mean there is no global warming is kind of like an Alaskan saying it never gets hot anywhere simply because it never gets hot there. Here in the west we are in the 13th consecutive year of drought with near record highs almost daily. Water rationing has started in some of our municipalities simply because we have no snow or rain. Now that isn't true of everywhere, but climate change is definitely happening here. I don't have to be a liberal or conservative to see it.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    webmost:
    Yabbut, that video comes from Fox News. We all know you can't trust a single biased word that those ignorant tea bagger bible thumping mormon brainwashed war on women oldsters gays poor (insert group here) hillbilly right wing racist loonies have to say. So there.

Hey, we're all friends here so tell us how you really feel :-)
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    blutattoo:
    Vulchor:
    Oh here we go. Climate change is not the tooth fairy that some democrat thought up. It is a very real thing.

No offense but the only people saying that it doesn't exist are people with a vested interest in burning fossil fuels. They don't want people to think there is a causality between human fossil fuel consumption and the global increase in temperature. Even some of those scientists that work for the big energy companies agree that climate change is real and that it is significantly caused by humans. What people don't agree on is the consequences of climate change or how quickly those consequences will effect the world. Those from the right take money from the gas and oil industry and those on the left take money from people looking to subsidize renewable energy and biofuel production.

Frankly, until the issue is not a political one then it's unlikely to be fully understood by the general public. The questions we should be asking are not does it exist, but if it does and we do nothing what will happen? If the mean global temperature rises can we reverse it? Those are the more important questions.

Saying it's a really cold winter so it must mean there is no global warming is kind of like an Alaskan saying it never gets hot anywhere simply because it never gets hot there. Here in the west we are in the 13th consecutive year of drought with near record highs almost daily. Water rationing has started in some of our municipalities simply because we have no snow or rain. Now that isn't true of everywhere, but climate change is definitely happening here. I don't have to be a liberal or conservative to see it.
    No disrespect intended, but are you saying that we created global warning and it's not a natural climate cycle?
    In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the Columbia River completely froze over. An amazing feat, especially since the last 10 miles of river are brackish water [meaning it's half sea water, half river water] and it can be as wide as 4 miles.
    There was a 20 year trend of harsh winters and very warm, dry summers in the late 1800s and early 1900s. At that time, the industrial age really hadn't had time for man to create the environment change.

Do I believe that man created global warming? We may have had some hand in it, but I believe it is the natural climate cycle.

I find it odd that for every climatologist that says it is global warming there is another who says it's a natural cycle.

And we all know we were around to create the last ice age.
    There are native american stories of severe climate changes going back centuries
    [Some they attributed to the arrival of foreign explorers].
    I know, I've had to endure some of those stories from my grand father, that were handed down from story tellers over the generations.

This is a debate that has been going on for some time and people will believe what they want to believe.
    Can I say with absolute certainty that it is not man made global warning? No.
    Can you say with absolute certainty that it is? No.
    Because even the scientists can't agree.
    blutattoo:
    Vulchor:

I understand all of what you say and it is real. But, all the hours I have spent on the net researching it (I am concerned) have pointed to cycles and I then wonder if it is a real problem. Even al gore's buddy who started this whole thing admitted he cooked the books, altruistic reasons..? Who knows. Then I read a publication that says that there is 114(K) square acres or miles of new ice at the pole, so I wonder. Environment is right up there with the drug problem, different impact, but both are serious problems. I believe beyond a doubt (watch Drugs Inc.) that the drug problem is real, but I am not so sure about global warming/climate change. It is all confusing and both sides have their champions. I could play devil's advocate and argue either point of view. There was a drought in TN and then we wished it would stop raining, back and forth it goes. I have looked at spread sheets, charts (that go back many years) and read every paper I could find on the subject and I still have questions. I am not trying to offend anyone, but lets keep the questions going or we will never know. I am neither liberal or conservative, republican or democrat (don't fence me in), I am hard core independent, I don't trust any of them. And I don't trust the media or big business and I have completely given up on talking head expert commentators that usually have a vested interest in something.

I never mentioned climate change or global warming in this thread. I posted about the irony of a ship and 3 cutters getting caught in the disappearing ice they were going to investigate.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    jd50ae:
    blutattoo:
    Vulchor:

I understand all of what you say and it is real. But, all the hours I have spent on the net researching it (I am concerned) have pointed to cycles and I then wonder if it is a real problem. Even al gore's buddy who started this whole thing admitted he cooked the books, altruistic reasons..? Who knows. Then I read a publication that says that there is 114(K) square acres or miles of new ice at the pole, so I wonder. Environment is right up there with the drug problem, different impact, but both are serious problems. I believe beyond a doubt (watch Drugs Inc.) that the drug problem is real, but I am not so sure about global warming/climate change. It is all confusing and both sides have their champions. I could play devil's advocate and argue either point of view. There was a drought in TN and then we wished it would stop raining, back and forth it goes. I have looked at spread sheets, charts (that go back many years) and read every paper I could find on the subject and I still have questions. I am not trying to offend anyone, but lets keep the questions going or we will never know. I am neither liberal or conservative, republican or democrat (don't fence me in), I am hard core independent, I don't trust any of them. And I don't trust the media or big business and I have completely given up on talking head expert commentators that usually have a vested interest in something.

I never mentioned climate change or global warming in this thread. I posted about the irony of a ship and 3 cutters getting caught in the disappearing ice they were going to investigate.

This one should be moved to the thread jacking thread!
    :-)

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Global Warming as a result of man made activity has no basis in fact. There is no measurable evidence to discern that theory. Climate Change has occurred since the beginning of time and will continue to do so regardless of our activity. The preponderance of current evidence is we are now entering a cooling period. http://www.climatedepot.com/
    Did you know water isn't really blue. It's clear. But it just looks blue. Or sometimes green. Or sometimes red even. Guess it's just where it's from.

ROFL!
    0patience:
    Did you know water isn't really blue. It's clear. But it just looks blue. Or sometimes green. Or sometimes red even. Guess it's just where it's from.

ROFL!

:-)

0patience:

ROFL!

I have seen it red in Florida, and green in MD, and black in the Chesapeake, and clear in VA, and I have flown over blue water. I have even seen it jelly fish a time or two.
    jd50ae:
    0patience:

ROFL!

I have seen it red in Florida, and green in MD, and black in the Chesapeake, and clear in VA, and I have flown over blue water. I have even seen it jelly fish a time or two.

Ever see fresh water Jelly Fish? I had the privilege two years ago in a small privately owned pond.
    Way to back jack your thread by the way!

blutattoo:
    Vulchor:

BTW Blu, Hi Im Vulchor. Been here awhile and the rest here who know me knew that my comment was sarcasm and cynical. I am the appointed "liberal" around here with Phobicsquirrel and do believe very much in climate change, global warming, ect. Im not going to get into it too much as I will never be able to convince the other side as to the "inconvient truth" (just came up with that) of it all, so I just have to let it go. How people deny it any more is beyond me, but I spent years almost having a hemmorage over this and other topics and now I just have gotten kinda Nihilistic about it all.
    RBeckom:
    jd50ae:
    0patience:

ROFL!

Ever see fresh water Jelly Fish? I had the privilege two years ago in a small privately owned pond.

I saw some at The Myrtle Beach Aquarium, that was a trip. Did not pay any attention as to why our where they were from. I'll take a closer look next time.
    fla-gypsy:
    Global Warming as a result of man made activity has no basis in fact. There is no measurable evidence to discern that theory. Climate Change has occurred since the beginning of time and will continue to do so regardless of our activity. The preponderance of current evidence is we are now entering a cooling period. http://www.climatedepot.com/

The website you quote (presumably as the factual one) is the one owned by the "Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow" which is a very conservative non-profit whose biggest donor is ExxonMobile, correct?
    Also, the idea that reputable and well resptected scientists who are either published and/or respected and/or tops in their field are "torn" or anywhere near "50-50" on the climate change debate is simply laughable.
    Vulchor:
    Also, the idea that reputable and well resptected scientists who are either published and/or respected and/or tops in their field are "torn" or anywhere near "50-50" on the climate change debate is simply laughable.
    Well, at least we got ya laughing. That's a good start. : )
    jd50ae:
    RBeckom:
    jd50ae:
    0patience:

ROFL!

I saw some at The Myrtle Beach Aquarium, that was a trip. Did not pay any attention as to why our where they were from. I'll take a closer look next time.

They are actually quite common I found out through research, in warmer climates but the only emerge every several years to reproduce, hence my pride in actually being within mere feet of hundreds of them in a johnboat while bass fishing with an uncle. Our encounter was in Rockmart Georgia but the seem to be relatively wide spread as a species. I hope to have a camera handy if I ever get that lucky again!

No disrespect taken. I'm positive that I never said that climate change was wholly created by humans. On the contrary the climate is always changing. The only constant in this world is change.

The question is not, nor should it ever be, will there be changes in the climate or who caused the change in climate. The questions we should be asking are what are the consequences of a gradual warming of the earths climate? Who knows there could be added benefits, but if there are dire consequences can we reverse them? How quickly would these dire consequences happen? Heck it could be 500 years from now. What can we do to mitigate those consequences? The consumption of fossil fuels may only be a minuscule part of that, who knows. Instead corporate interests on both sides of the debate influence what is debated. So the sheep will follow lockstep behind their parties stance.

There is a consensus of scientists, BOTH sides, who understand that the climate is warming even though those scientists disagree with causality. Are we totally to blame, 10% to blame, 50% to blame, it doesn't really matter. What matters is, is this change happening at a rate that is outside of the norm. If it is, then instead of sticking our head in the sand and talking about anecdotal evidence of times past we should debate how best to be stewards of the earth for future generations.

Unless your bread is buttered by the gas/coal lobby or renewable energy lobby then our position is most likely the same. We all want to leave the earth a better place for our children and grandchildren.
    Sadly Blu., there seems a large contingent who is hell bent on doing whatever they want without consequence and leaving the earth "however" for the next generations. I feel its selfish and ignorant, but its also sadly seems to border on a p!ssing contest of wanting to burn fossil fuels and buy SUV's just to prove they can do what they want. Selfish really.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    0patience:

ROFL!
    I disagree. Water can be blue for 1000 flushes.
    variant2:
    0patience:

ROFL!
    I disagree. Water can be blue for 1000 flushes.
    Can you really get those things to last 1000 flushes? I must be doing it wrong.