Home General Discussion

Weird Question

SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
I was sitting in my B&M yesterday lighting up a WOAM. You know the perfecto sized, closed foot with a tip on the foot. I know that's not the correct terminolgy......Anyone, Anyone, Kuzi, Anyone... As I was just lighting up normally, this loud fellow decided it would be a good idea to announce to the B&M that you are supposed to clip the tip of it off before lighting. I wanted to just tell him to stfu, but since I'm trying to be kindler & gentler in 2014 I listened to his loud and lengthy exposition on cutting this size. I even smiled and asked about the weather afterward. Well long story short...Are you supposed to cut the closed foot tip off these cigars?

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Well, the foot isn't actually closed, just very small. I don't clip it since I haven't had burn issues without doing so.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    That's guy is dumb...you did the right thing!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I don't clip it for those. But for truly closed feet(foots? closed-footed?) maybe a clip would be in order, but those are pretty few and far between. I think I remember Viaje doing one or something.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Correct answer is..."Cool story bro! Have you ever been shot?"
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I've done it both ways, depending on what I see as I look at the foot, and how I feel at the moment.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Like these? These are called Salomons but are also considered figurados as well. (Correct me brothers if I am wrong.)

The foot isn't completely closed off. I don't think you are supposed to cut them but I have seen it done. It takes a lot of work to shape that foot. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't put all that work into it if they expected everybody to just chop it off?

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    "Hey, you're supposed to cut the end of the cigar before you light it!"
    Hey, you're supposed to keep your dumb mouth shut so I can enjoy this cigar in peace.
    Yup, that pretty much covers it.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    All I wanna know is wtf is a WOAM..?
    No_one21:
    Work of Art Maduro
  • thehilkthehilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,015
    No_one21:
    Ty for asking cause I need to know too!
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway - Work of Art, Maduro 4 7/8 x 56 Perfecto

It's not like I knew what it was either but I googled the crap out of it until I figured it out. LOL
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    thehilk:
    No_one21:
    Work of art Maduro. Are these the hemingways?
  • SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
    TY guys. I've always just toasted it up like any other cigar & never gave it a 2nd thought before this happened. That's very close Bob, but on this particular cigar it is a very pronounced tip...I hate to say it..my cigar had a nipple on the end of it, but it really does.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I like that vitola because they are way easy to light.
    Echambers:
    thehilk:
    No_one21:
    Work of art Maduro. Are these the hemingways?
    Yes, they are of the Hemingway persuasion. LOL!
    Sasquatch:
    TY guys. I've always just toasted it up like any other cigar & never gave it a 2nd thought before this happened. That's very close Bob, but on this particular cigar it is a very pronounced tip...I hate to say it..my cigar had a nipple on the end of it, but it really does.
    Was it closed off? If I had one that was completely closed off I guess I'd cut it.
    It's one of those shorties on the right.

• No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Sasquatch:
    Did you lick it?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Bob Luken:
    It's one of those shorties on the right.

The WOA is in the middle with the pointed heads.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    i noticed this on the web
    http://bcove.me/2ye25e1h
    gets into the perfecto at 3:25, one guy lights it as is, and the other states he likes to cut it - just to open it up to get going faster, so personal choice
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    It isn't completely closed so if you clip it you're wasting part of a fantastic smoke. He's an idiot.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    0patience:
    "Hey, you're supposed to cut the end of the cigar before you light it!"
    Hey, you're supposed to keep your dumb mouth shut so I can enjoy this cigar in peace.
    Yup, that pretty much covers it.
    This is the direct version of what I was going for before, and probably the right answer for the situation given.

I've wondered if this style was developed back when one was likely to be plucking a coal out of a fire with a pair of tongs to light a cigar. Having done so while camping, I can say that it works, that you get a small area going and then bring your cigar to life without scorching the crap out of it.

Not an official answer, but it worked for me.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    bbass2:
    It isn't completely closed so if you clip it you're wasting part of a fantastic smoke. He's an idiot.
    +1 the beauty of the perfecto is how easily you can toast & light it. A great choice if you're going to be lighting up in windy conditions. I read somewhere that Hemingway liked perfectos when he was fishing because they were easy to light… urban myth??? You decide! duh duh duuuuhhhhnnnn...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    often times the louder and more boisterous people are, the more important they think they are.

it doesnt matter if you clip that tip off or not. if you can light your cigar and enjoy it, go for it.
    he is not the cigar police and should have kept his loud mouth shut.
  • RebelAngelRebelAngel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    That's your problem, you were concentratiing on the nipple of your cigar. You forgot the Weird Question??? lol
  • SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
    People don't normally bug me......for long. LOL!
    It was just such a weird thing & he was soo adamant about the issue. That's why I even brought it up. Etiquette wise, I'm sure I have trampled much worse ones than that.